Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I happened to have a quick look on Autotrader and there are already a fair few Ateca's on there. What's more the majority of them are more expensive than what you'd pay new. It appears the dealers on relishing the fact that the lead times are generally long and are trying to tempt people in to spending a little more to get the car straight away.

The best one I've seen is a Samoa Orange 1.6 Tdi SE Tech for £26.5k! That's £3k above list price! :shock:

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Going like Rover then.... normal dealers or Internet traders ?.

·
Registered
280 Posts
From what I can see it is only the diesel powered versions which are available for 'immediate' delivery from a few places, and NOT those with a 1.4 TSi engine which are currently being 'built to order'.

I can't even find a local dealer who has one available for a test drive, as I reckon that if there were any, then they will all have been sold by now anyway,... and probably for the best price they could ask for them!

Personally I am quite happy to wait for the exact car I want, which I am sure I will enjoy all the more when it does eventually arrive! :)

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Supply and demand ... what's wrong with that though to be fair .....

not all at it though (and I'm not on commission)

new (just the way their web site is makes it look like used on link), available now ...

http://www.dennishorton.co.uk/seat/used-car-details/used-seat-ateca-se-16-tdi-ecomotive-suv-nevada-white-manual-diesel-id_14681.aspx

Connectivity Hub, Dark Tinted Rear Windows, Boot Divider Net, Top View Camera, Power Operated Tailgate, Convenience Pack, 17" 'Dynamic' Machined Alloy, Full LED Headlights, SD Card Map Navigation System, £500 Saving is inclusive of test drive bonus.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Saggy said:

not all at it though (and I'm not on commission)

new (just the way their web site is makes it look like used on link), available now ...

http://www.dennishorton.co.uk/seat/used-car-details/used-seat-ateca-se-16-tdi-ecomotive-suv-nevada-white-manual-diesel-id_14681.aspx

Connectivity Hub, Dark Tinted Rear Windows, Boot Divider Net, Top View Camera, Power Operated Tailgate, Convenience Pack, 17" 'Dynamic' Machined Alloy, Full LED Headlights, SD Card Map Navigation System, £500 Saving is inclusive of test drive bonus.
Do you think Seat themselves would be happy that some of their dealers are offering cars substantially above list price? I'm not sure they would...

·
Registered
280 Posts
@Saggy - Not a bad price, all things considered... although it is a diesel!

Although the sat-nav has been added, plus a few additional options I probably would not have gone for myself, comes out at a similar price to my recently ordered 1.4 Tsi SE... although I am not a fan of white cars either, and I live a long way from Lincoln ;)

Still, I can't see it staying around for long nevertheless.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
David_S said:
Saggy said:
Do you think Seat themselves would be happy that some of their dealers are offering cars substantially above list price? I'm not sure they would...
I think that is why Tell asked if you were talking dealers or internet traders

Depends on the franchise deal they have with SEAT I guess ....

They all seem to be able to give different discounts so perhaps SEAT just ask a set price per car and dealers can do what they want as long as that is met?

New cars being built to order would be one thing but if the dealer has paid Seat the price they want for the car then he can sell at whatever he wants? Same as I could? I don't know what agreements Seat dealers have with Seat.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Nothing wrong with a diesel :). With the DPF there is not a wiff although during regeneration things are different if you catch the car doing it. You don't get the pong now or the dirt.

That's a buyer beware on Saggy's comment yes. I do note a few people on here have bought cars that aren't what they thought they were buying then wanted to add stuff on. One suspects if the car is above list price the dealer is hoping they won't notice. RRP... retail recommended price.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Don't get me wrong Tell... I am sure that there isn't anything wrong with a diesel at all... it is purely a personal preference.

I still don't like the different driving characteristics when pulling away at low revs... and I have driven a diesel powered Ateca, but that's just me.

As I said in an earlier thread, it wouldn't do if we all liked exactly the same things now, would it! :)

(Before I ordered my new Ateca, I first used the official SEAT configurator to determine the exact specification, and the extras I wanted. I then printed this out, together with the stated price, which so far as I was concerned was an "on the road" figure, and therefore made a good starting point for our negotiations.)

·
Registered
918 Posts
Saggy said:
David_S said:
Saggy said:
I think that is why Tell asked if you were talking dealers or internet traders

Depends on the franchise deal they have with SEAT I guess ....

They all seem to be able to give different discounts so perhaps SEAT just ask a set price per car and dealers can do what they want as long as that is met?

New cars being built to order would be one thing but if the dealer has paid Seat the price they want for the car then he can sell at whatever he wants? Same as I could? I don't know what agreements Seat dealers have with Seat.
So many factors at play here:

in terms of their costs it could be the wholesale costs of each car from SEAT, which may depend on the volumes each dealer buys & when; might get them cost discounts which can be passed on; big dealers will buy in bulk in advance knowing they'll shift them, and sell really cheap - I give you ....Arnold Clark

volume bonus/registration allowance, most manufacturers offer these to dealers as incentives to sell cars, which is why buying at month/quarter end can be giod as both sales execs & dealer principals try to make sales targets for commissions and achieve volume bonus from SEAT; some dealers will put %f this into deals for subsequent sales to secure them & keep the rest

'Pack cars' - which dealers may be obliged to buy so they have some stock of car cars for demo & sales; manufacturers often either decide what these will be (spec, colours etc) and sell to dealers at a discount, again which can be passed on

Finance - manufacturers finance co's often provide stock financing to dealerships, the terms / costs of which may vary and affect the overall cost of buying / stocking the car for the dealer - again costs & savings may be passed on

Dealership overheads will vary massively and affect sales prices & deals; bigger dealers have lower unit overheads and may offer better prices / deals

Competition locally - a big factor; the big guns of Vardy, Sytner, Lookers, Arnold Clark can & do apply all of the above, and squeeze local competition including buying them out altogether.....

However you get a good deal, you can be certain all of the above, and other factors, are all at play at the same time,

As for charging higher prices, my learned frien Saggy hits the nail on the head - demand v supply - and manufacturers could not ever officially tell dealers what to charge- that's ant competitive behaviour!

And they will continue to supply any franchise dealers who can sell enough cars to meet the manufacturers targets - indeed manufacturers also often finance the capital investment required to keep franchises up to speed with e.g, company branding, showroom design etc. So everyone has a vested interest in this - all about cash flow & profits for all parties !

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
You get the north / south divide in dealer operating margins, was that there ?. OK you got that there... may give you full marks ?. ;). Wait till next year when those currency price rises come through. One suspects that dealers and Seat are getting the bonus of the company perk market changing and people worried about price hikes so are shifting more than they expected.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'd probably part with my First Edition 1.6TDI for the price I paid, minus my deposit and monthly installments thus far.

Will probably have to keep it though.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I got nearly 4K off list price and all just have to wait up to 5 months. The dealer had a similar car on sale at a very good price but I decided to wait to get exactly what I wanted. I tend to decide what I want and won't change my mind.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.