Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just received a curtesy call from my dealer prior to me taking delivery of my Ateca tomorrow.

They said they needed to tell me that it was only delivered with one key and the second key is on order! :oops:

Is this common? Has anyone else experienced this before?

My vehicle arrived at my dealer 4 weeks ago today and I have been in twice in that time and at no point was this mentioned to me!

If it was only delivered with one key I would certainly expect the second key to arrive within 4 weeks!!

I am really reluctant to take delivery of a brand new car with just one key especially if there are such large delays with obtaining replacements!

·
Registered
122 Posts
sounds like they've lost one to me!

I'd be asking for more information to find out the truth.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Jonny said:
I've just received a curtesy call from my dealer prior to me taking delivery of my Ateca tomorrow.

They said they needed to tell me that it was only delivered with one key and the second key is on order! :oops:

Is this common? Has anyone else experienced this before?

My vehicle arrived at my dealer 4 weeks ago today and I have been in twice in that time and at no point was this mentioned to me!

If it was only delivered with one key I would certainly expect the second key to arrive within 4 weeks!!

I am really reluctant to take delivery of a brand new car with just one key especially if there are such large delays with obtaining replacements!
I would be more concerned the dealer aren't fibbing to you to hold on to it for themselves? Or an employee having nicked it? If it's just a case of it genuinely having been forgotten or lost by manufacturer then I don't see the problem, it only takes one key to get in the car and it's not like you're going to not be able to drive it until the replacement arrives. :)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Finding out whether the dealer is fibbing to me is my main concern, especially as they have had the vehicle for 4 weeks which should be plenty of time to obtain a replacement key if it was only supplied with one!

I have escalated it to Seat UK to investigate and I'm waiting for the sales manager to phone me.

I'm not comfortable with only having one key because what happens if I lose it or it gets damaged? I won't be able to use my car!

Not the way I intended to spend the last day of my holiday!!

·
Registered
231 Posts
If you do accept it with just a single key, ensure there's some documentation to show that only 1 key is now associated with the car. If it's at the dealers they should be able to show you with their systems connected to the car or through the car's display itself. This won't prevent a physical unlock using the key blade (I can't even remember seeing it on the door handle), but it should remain immobilised.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Jonny said:
I'm not comfortable with only having one key because what happens if I lose it or it gets damaged? I won't be able to use my car!

Not the way I intended to spend the last day of my holiday!!
Personally I wouldn't be accepting the car. 4 weeks could turn in to 6 weeks which could turn in to 8 weeks etc. Everyone has their own circumstances but I often leave the car in town and a family member picks it up - I NEED two keys.

If the collection date is tomorrow then not sure why garage / SEAT isn't offering you a courtesy car until the vehicle you ordered is ready.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Uggzy2014 said:
I would be more concerned the dealer aren't fibbing to you to hold on to it for themselves? Or an employee having nicked it? If it's just a case of it genuinely having been forgotten or lost by manufacturer then I don't see the problem, it only takes one key to get in the car and it's not like you're going to not be able to drive it until the replacement arrives. :)
I'd be asking where the other key is and if it got 'lost' demanding a replacement set of locks and re-coding. At a minimum ask for a re-coding so at least the immobiliser and alarm won't respond to a key that may have gone walkies at the dealership.

Check your odometer too - why a car has sat at the dealers for 4 weeks and they only just noticed, I'd be mighty suspicious myself!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Not making excuses for the dealer but why has the car been with them for 4 weeks ? You may have valid reasons but remember this period covered the new registration date when the dealer was perhaps processing a number of new cars being collected. It may have been a legitimate mistake- why would they bother to check on a regular basis - if you told them you would be collecting it in 4 weeks they probably had both keys when it was rolled off the transporter but did not check again until your collecting date came around. They may have turned the dealership upside down looking for it.My guess- someone has three sets of keys and has not realised.

·
Registered
87 Posts
As all new cars are delivered with 2 keys I personally would not accept the vehicle with just one key because you will be up the creek without a paddle if a fault happens with your only key, tell them your declining the car because it's not suitable for purpose (just a thought).

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the comments.

Manager didn't call me so I've just called them while waiting for my flight!

Dealer reckons they've had quite a few cars turn up with only one key and my replacement is due in sometime next week!

I've told them that it isn't good enough and I won't be taking delivery as expected tomorrow! The problem is the car officially became mine today!!

I'm going to be taking it up with Seat UK next week to obtain the truth!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think you should go into the dealership to discuss this further, and make your displeasure clear.
After all you have no doubt waited a long time for the vehicle to arrive.
If they have had "quite a few" new cars turn up with one key then surely they cannot be happy about this on behalf of their customers, and will have already contacted SEAT UK themselves.
If not, why not?
It's not up to you to do the dealers job for them, make them work for their money!
Having said that, if they give you a sensible explanation then I think I'd take delivery of the car - and keep on at them until the second key arrives. However this is very much a personal judgement which you can probably only make by going in to talk to them.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Come on guys really, I think your making a big song and dance about this :roll: Jonny your picking up your new ATECA tomorrow (sorry today) for gods sake don't let this spoil your fantastic day. How many people on here are struggling to cope with months of delay and yours is imminent. Your 99.999999% unlikely to lose your one key before they provide a second one. Take the car with a huge smile on your face and enjoy it, life's too short :D And don't forget post those pics of it ;)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Back in the UK now!

Reflected on it while I was on the plane and I've decided to go and see my dealer tomorrow.

I won't however be taking delivery of my Ateca until I receive reassurance with what has happened to the second key.

I can't imagine for one minute that quality control at the factory would allow cars to leave with only one key! That makes me suspicious and I'm concerned about who is in possession of my second key.

Unless Seat UK can provide me with written confirmation that my Ateca left the factory with only one key then I won't take delivery until the locks have been changed and recoded.

Kindness - this is more a security concern more than anything else! If my key has gone missing at my dealer and it is in the possession of someone that shouldn't have it there is a risk that they also have my home address!

I will of course post some more photos if and when I take delivery, however I don't think it will be anytime soon!!

Gutted is an understatement!! :oops:

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
I feel for you. Bit like my dealer telling me the car was miss built without the wireless charger the day before collection when they were sitting on my money. The miss build was Seat's fault. The C word of compensation in one form or another springs to mind. I'd ask for compensation from Seat UK for the disappointment. True you will get the new car but the worry of the missing key.

The insertion point on the Kessy lock to use the blade part of the key is drivers side from underneath, pops the cap to reveal the insertion point for the blade. That's the concern about the missing key I would say given that someone could then frig your ODB port as has been discussed on these threads before. So C word has a lot going for it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Ask to see the key and the black tag that has a code on it. I think the code is something to do with the keys.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've been to see the dealer today, however the manager wasn't working today.

The assistant manager was aware of the problem, however he couldn't get involved as it is being dealt with by the manager and Seat UK.

He did provide me with a copy of the delivery note that shows the car was delivered with only one key. The dealers mistake has been not acting on this until last Thursday (4 weeks after receiving my Ateca!).

Seat clearly has an issue with the company they use to transport their vehicles as keys are going missing between leaving the factory and the vehicle arriving at the dealership.

This might have happened to members on this forum, however if their dealer ordered replacements in time you would never know!

As I now know that there is a spare key for my car in circulation somewhere I want to protect my asset by having all the locks changed before taking delivery.

I will also be negotiating compensation for the delay and inconvenience before agreeing to receive my Ateca!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Jonny said:
As I now know that there is a spare key for my car in circulation somewhere I want to protect my asset by having all the locks changed before taking delivery.

I will also be negotiating compensation for the delay and inconvenience before agreeing to receive my Ateca!
Totally agree with you and although maybe not the dealer's fault (i.e. they didn't lose the key) they are the ones that are liable as your contract is with them.

If and only if (yours is the first report I've heard of it) multiple other cars are arriving with 1 key from that transport company then why on earth are they not investigating with the police?

·
Registered
931 Posts
Jonny said:

I agree with you on the last point, but you're wasting your time with the first - in fact the complexity of the change over may cause more problems than enough - it's not exactly like changing the door lock on your garage.

If anyone within the SEAT empire wanted to steal your car after your locks are changed, they simply lookup the VIN on their system and it'll give them the key code. Did you order an Xcellence or have MESSY as an option? If you've read the thread on keyless entry, you'll find any determined Tom, Dick or Harry has the ability to steal your car with relative ease!

It's called life - it's why we pay insurance.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Golfmk56 said:
I agree with you on the last point, but you're wasting your time with the first - in fact the complexity of the change over may cause more problems than enough - it's not exactly like changing the door lock on your garage.
What problems do you think it will cause by changing the locks?

The dealer has already confirmed that it's going to be reprogrammed. With keyless entry isn't there only one physical lock to change which is on the door?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts