Votes: 1 16.7%
  • <t>Other / Not in the UK</t>

Votes: 2 33.3%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following the withdrawal of the TDI150 engine from sale in the UK (and some other European countries) in the Ateca in the 2WD form interested in whether anybody has got a build date / built or waiting for build. The 4WD manual variant wasn't withdrawn, interested in progress on that.

For completeness added the 190 and petrol engines in general. You can re vote if you get new information.

The survey covers all models ordered in the pre sales period (prior 9th September 2016)

·
Registered
3 Posts
My local Seat dealer was informed by Seat UK that the TDI150 engine is delayed until week 39. i.e. cannot be configured until that time.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That means it won't be built till November on that time scale. Delivery December on a 3 month production period from order to delivery if they keep to that. One would suspect that's a best estimate. This is probably dealer / Seat UK chat.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
The Tdi 150 situation is now all over the Spanish press. It seems that it is not an engine production issue, but a deliberate attempt to slow down the huge number of orders being taken. The factory just cannot cope with the production numbers required, which is also affected by the very large number of orders already received for the Kodiak which shares the production facilities.

They say that there is no technical problem beyond their ability to supply the engines to meet this demand. They also say that existing orders will not be affected.

Original article here http://www.elmundo.es/motor/2016/09/08/57d12a8b46163f611a8b45d3.html

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
1 Posts
Spoke to the dealership who supply our fleet cars today and was told that 150TDI 2WD will not be available until April.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's pushing it back, other reports were orders latter on this year. In Germany they don't appear to have pulled them so VW group seem to be a bit selective. The home country gets the stock :).

·
Registered
165 Posts
Email from the dealership today to let me know my Ateca is in transit from the factory.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think you are ahead of me by 5 weeks. Looking at your past posts when you tried to order it in early June, so to me they are topping out on a three month period from order to delivery for pre orders atleast for the TDIs.

I don't reckon they hang about when they enter the country.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's inline with what I got told on Monday by a dealer. Can be ordered from January 2017, delivery April 2017.

Seat UK probably got its ducks in a line in connection with the launch weekend. Still a bit of a shambles for anyone that wanted a 2WD TDI150, saw the pre sales material, ordered one or preferred to wait for a test drive, then to find it suspended from sale.

Try as a may to find categorically whether AdBlue is part of the 2WD TDI150 spec at launch I can't. Seems odd that Seat decided that the 4WD variation was more polluting than the 2WD so omitted AdBlue on the basis it wasn't required. The other school of thought is that the engines are so in demand rationing was put in place. Something doesn't ring true on why the 2WD TDI150 was withdrawn.

On AdBlue itself, the pricing goes like this:

* DIY at commercial pumps about 65p a litre or so, pumps on motorways, near ferries etc, see AdBlue website and apps
* DIY at home, twice the price or so, need the right bottles, pipes etc, goes off in open containers after six months
* Seat does it, getting on for £2 a litre (most expensive option)

You get a warning well in advance (2400 km, critical at 1000 km), cost efficient option is to fill it up at the pumps if going past any of these during the 870 mile limit to critical.

On the positive side mats are free with Seats. They did fit very well. :).

·
Registered
25 Posts
As far as i can tell Adblue is on the Ateca 2.0 150/190 4WD (was listed on the website) and all 2.0 models of the Tiguan, the only model missing was infamous Seat 2.0 TDI 150 2WB. Maybe they have decided they need to add it after testing.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Some good news for anyone with a 150Tdi 2WD on order. According to one of the Spanish national newspapers, anyone with a 2WD will get 4WD free and if you have a 2WD DSG on order you will get upgraded to the 190 4wd/DSG.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ha... I'm paying full price for mine but I'm English (less £1,000 discount). I bet Seat UK won't do that for customers in the same situation. They will be pre sales in the UK. I think a lot of people were holding back for when they were in the showrooms for a test drive and thought they would be able to deal. As it happened deals were just a bit short of what you could get from independent small dealers but the range got cut back, waits got longer. You win some, you loose some.

Freddie is there categoric news on what the TDI150 issue was due to ?. How could they forget to put the Adblue tank on it.....

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
There is a lot of conjecture in the press about the reasons for all this but nothing definitive. SEAT seem to be sticking to the excessive number of orders story. I'm sure it will come out at the Paris show, if not earlier.

Incidentally the best selling model in Spain is, amazingly, the 1.4Tsi. I'm glad they didn't cancel that!

·
Registered
979 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
It was predicted back in August by Autocar and by many of us that saw that it would be popular and that Seat had possibly underestimated its popularity, if its true i see other manufacturers playing on it and cashing in or dealerships selling those demonstrators. Should help reduce depreciation hopefully.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I did wonder whether we were getting them more quickly since Seat UK had taken a chunk of capacity before and after the UK launch. The UK manager had said previously they were obtaining capacity for RHD models for the UK. Alternatively the 150TDI issue has freed up capacity since they stopped making them or a bit of both.

I don't know whether there is mixed messages in the newspaper piece.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I was told on the fleet day in August by one of the SEAT team that a large number of RHD cars had already been imported to the UK. I suspect this is why 'delivery' times are so variable. It also poses a question. Logic says that the factory will have built some 2WD 150 TDI cars and they will be sitting in a secure site somewhere. If so, by the time they gain homologation next April, those cars will have been sitting around for the best part of nine months. Not ideal TBH.
If the waiting time proves to be 8-10 months I will have to think again. Really feel that SEAT should have been more open about the situation.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Newtoseat, from what that evidence shows i dont think they will be holding any back for months as they seem to be able to shift what they have waiting. I think they have just allocated the 150 engines to the bigger proffit makers at this time ie the 4Drive models. I know mine was built on the 6th of September and i should be driving it by the first week in October all being well.

I do see though that everything people keep coming up against just to get their hands on a car that they want will only push them into the hands of say VW for a tiguan. Maybe a clever play to shift sales to those that also come at a higher premium. After all the Ateca under cuts the tiguan on cost for the spec you get. But ones a cross over and ones a compact SUV.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts