Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Diesel car is a bit like the Times you have to subscribe although The time may be free these days...

Long term test at 4,753 miles. What's Hot: the orange paint in fog - can be seen. What's not: no spare wheel (their fault !).

The lesson for the people who buy it without the spare, the motoring journalist bounced up the kerb on the school run and blew the tyre out (Hankook). They then preceded to drive home with a flat tyre (remember it isn't their car) then had to get Seat recovery to come and pick it up to take it to a tyre place. They conclude it's a poor economy not to having a spare wheel, end of that piece.

Else where (hope Saggy isn't reading this) they put the Peugeot 3008 GT Line BlueHDi 120 ahead of the Ateca SE 1.6 TDI Ecomotive in a twin test, they do like the ride thou. They did conclude it would win against any other SUV but not against the 3008...... £4-95 in all good newsagents :).

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
It's a nice car, but your choice will be affected by the choice of engine. Personally, I wouldn't go near a diesel again and the petrol option on the 3008 is miles away from the SEAT 1.4Tsi option.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
VW say they are stopping the 1.6 TDI development but the 2 litres continues to have a big future. Here in the UK we are creating child deaths etc etc etc, as if all diesel cars are equivalent on emissions. Now public health is within local authorities they haven't got anything better to do and see an easy way of influencing policy. Obviously taxing / charging for parking for diesel drivers is a good scam for hard up local government.

Basically it's was the cabin why they went for 3008.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
True. There are quite a few features of the cabin that appeal to me, but in the end it's the driving experience that counts.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Dont like the drive in a Peugeot gearbox is awful so didn't consider looking at one dealer mine is from also deal in Peugeot always seem to get on as a courtesy car over the years last year I refused the 2008 for a day and took a 2 year old altea instead. Seat have served me proud for over 20years so will stick to what I like and the ateca I love ❤

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seat DSG is good. Seat have served me well too since 2004. I like the understated cabin, you don't want a lot of shiny surfaces when driving.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Tell said:
Seat DSG is good. Seat have served me well too since 2004. I like the understated cabin, you don't want a lot of shiny surfaces when driving.
Couldn't agree more there are more functions really than I need on this car but it doesn't look like a computer when you sit in it. Even gave mine a bath today think I am shrinking couldn't reach the roof very well on my altea steps are the way forward now or a grow bag for my feet !

·
Registered
188 Posts
Tell said:
The new Big Blue Bus will be my first auto-type gearbox. I didn't expect to like it, but fell in love with the DSG on a test drive. My partner has yet to be convinced and complains of 'hating automatics'. :roll: I've tried explaining that this is not like a 4-speed Volvo torque-converter auto from 30 years ago, but... Sigh.
We've had SEATs for nearly 17 years in total, so they must be doing something right... Other half was worried that driving an Ateca would be 'like piloting a laptop', but while the technology is there it's fairly unobtrusive. All the clever in-your-face technology is wonderful, and swoopy curved shiny cabin architecture is lovely, until you struggle to find/reach something or it distracts you at a critical moment and you have an accident. Best cockpit of any car I ever drove was an E21 BMW 323i - really clear and sensibly laid out, wrapped around the driver and not shiny or distracting! It worked brilliantly and fitted me like a glove - everything since then has been downhill in ergonomic terms...

The only thing which does worry me is the longterm viability of diesel-engined private cars, given the current political wibbling about it. That whole thing about 'all diesels will be treated as pollution machines which kill children', completely ignoring e.g. DPF and SCR technology, really racks me off. I do worry that if/when I come to trade the thing in it may be worth next to nothing, having been turned into a pariah in the intervening years. I live near Bristol and the city council have recently been sabre-rattling about low-emission zones and either charging diesel drivers more to come into the city or stopping them altogether... no idea how they'd manage that, though, since they show little ability to run a bath let alone an emissions-related charging zone!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Tell said:
Else where (hope Saggy isn't reading this) they put the Peugeot 3008 GT Line BlueHDi 120 ahead of the Ateca SE 1.6 TDI Ecomotive in a twin test, they do like the ride thou. They did conclude it would win against any other SUV but not against the 3008...... £4-95 in all good newsagents :).
I hope ever said I'm sensitive about you sees this.
Always me you name, never a man even when one challenges you directly you ignore it.
I'm not even in the thread and you name me for no reason at all !!
You are the one who makes it personal all the time

BTW I do really like the 3008 ..... just not as much as the Ateca

·
Registered
116 Posts
Fred99 said:
It's a nice car, but your choice will be affected by the choice of engine. Personally, I wouldn't go near a diesel again and the petrol option on the 3008 is miles away from the SEAT 1.4Tsi option.
Agreed. I was looking at the 3008 as well as the Ateca. Whilst the cabin is gorgeous in the 3008, the footwell looked cramped in photos. But the engines were the real kickers. There was nothing to match the 1.4 TSi in terms of performance or economy.

And then I test drove the Ateca, and that was it really. Love at first drive...

·
Registered
280 Posts
Lcchull said:
Dont like the drive in a Peugeot gearbox is awful so didn't consider looking at one dealer mine is from also deal in Peugeot always seem to get on as a courtesy car over the years last year I refused the 2008 for a day and took a 2 year old altea instead. Seat have served me proud for over 20years so will stick to what I like and the ateca I love ❤
I think that is the first time I have read such a negative comment about the Peugeot 2008, and I have been driving one for the last 2.5 years!

Mind you I am about to trade it in for my new Ateca, and can't really say that I will be sorry to see it go!

However as they are both petrol engined models, and this a diesel related thread I will say no more! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts