Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure we all know this... but I didn't, if you have any old VW standard top up oil that doesn't meet the VW 507 00 standard it will shorten the life of the DPF. My ten year old Mobil 1 didn't meet the standard. It went to VW 506 00. You wouldn't think that oil would effect your DPF but it does.

Waiting deliver of some Castrol Edge 5W-30 from Ollie Oils. Often new engines glug more oil till they are run in.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Tell said:
I'm sure we all know this... but I didn't, if you have any old VW standard top up oil that doesn't meet the VW 507 00 standard it will shorten the life of the DPF. My ten year old Mobil 1 didn't meet the standard. It went to VW 506 00. You wouldn't think that oil would effect your DPF but it does.

Waiting deliver of some Castrol Edge 5W-30 from Ollie Oils. Often new engines glug more oil till they are run in.
Tell - and anyone else with the Diesel engine - may find the following page on the AA website interesting/helpful. Might also place it in a new thread:

http://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/fuels-environment/diesel-particulate-filters

:D

·
Registered
425 Posts
mcderms said:
Tell said:

Tell - and anyone else with the Diesel engine - may find the following page on the AA website interesting/helpful. Might also place it in a new thread:

http://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/fuels-environment/diesel-particulate-filters

:D
OMG! I have actually had on a number of occasions an acrid burning smell and fans running simultaneously for a few minutes after turning off the ignition. Not every time but maybe 4 or 5 times. It happened when I came back from Bluewater ( 40 miles) on Monday. As the car didn't explode in flames afterwards I guessed this is normal!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
you're more likely to bust into flames as you're stuck down from above lol :twisted:

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks McDerms. I like technical stuff :). This is where Honest John has his moan about the ECO mode not getting the revs up. On running in it was the Telegraph ten plus years ago that use to say that TDI's like to be run in hard else they will never run in till 50,000 etc. You know they aren't run in when they still consume oil.

The thread was to post up that you can't use any old oil that you might have in the garage or carrying with you, since non compliant oil will reduce the DPFs life although the manual says you can put a drop in, in an emergency. I've now got my VW 507 00 compliant oil, tipped my litre bottle emergency supply back into the the big original contaimer and refilled my little one with said Castrol so I'm good to go.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
That's the problem with these old fashioned oil burners. My 1.4 Leon Tsi didn't want a drop of oil in the first two years. The oil was changed at 2 years at the first service, but it was still in the middle of the dip stick. :D :D

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That sounds like a "long service interval". The other one that Honest John moans about. That oil should be changed annually. Perhaps I had better look at the maintenance plan of mine. I thought Seat kept to 12 months whilst VW was 24 months or has something changed ?.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Tell said:
That sounds like a "long service interval". The other one that Honest John moans about. That oil should be changed annually. Perhaps I had better look at the maintenance plan of mine. I thought Seat kept to 12 months whilst VW was 24 months or has something changed ?.
there is a screen on the display that says when service due, mine currently says something like 19,782m or 718 days..
So it looks set to 20k/2 years!!

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmmmm. I'll have a look at mine and the service plan. Since I'm getting it free for three years I want the oil changed thank you very much.

I've see that brightness screen on the dash but haven't adjusted it, it says 100 percent. The car did also self drive itself today, not steering but it did the breaking, changing gear, stopping and taking off based on the radar. One was with lane assist on and the other off. Traffic assist... well ACC was off and it did this, so I think that was Traffic Assist. I have no menu that says Traffic Assist on it, but since it did it, it must be doing it.

I suspect the 20k/2 years might be up for discussion. Perhaps yours was set up for Europe... I am due to go in next year, yours would suggest you don't.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well here is the service manual

http://www.seat.com/owners/your-seat/manuals-offline/manuals.html?model=Ateca+(2016)&id=76&category=2

My 3 year service plan says oil change every year... lets see what this says...

Page 7, First Service, Two options flexible (two years mentioned) and fixed. I'm on the latter with the fixed price servicing although the car might not think so. I'll check.

A flick through the manual and each service is like that, flexible or fixed.

Well that was new to me that Seat had moved to the VW way of doing things but you can opt out to fixed. Since it's free to me as payment for the botched build I'm happy. I will stick with the fixed plan at the end of the three years and get my annual free European recovery. The Fixed Prices for Servicing and Maintenance leaflet can be found online. The question is I guess what price they hit you for on the two year one if you pick the tab up yourself.

BTW if you start mixing oils of a low quality it picks up on that and adjusts you down to the 12 month one. My brother was in an argument with his VW garage, they wanted it in every year, he said no, every two years having read the manual, he didn't put the quality oil in it, so the car said, right 12 months it's going to be. He thought they had done it. The car had. That's mentioned for the Ateca as well it's capable of altering you from the long service plan to a shorter period.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.