Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've ordered a First Edition 1.6TDI. I usually choose diesels over petrol for fuel economy, cheaper tax etc. I ordered the First Edition, for all the added tech it gives you for a good price.

I've been looking into Ateca models more, and have noticed that the Xcellence 1.4TSI is about the same price. The only negative being the absence of the electric boot (which I really don't mind), but it adds a whole host of features such as leather Interior, dark roof and pillars, ambient lighting, heated seats, auto wipers, black gloss door trim etc. I'm not a leather person normally, but my reason for buying the Ateca is for my rapidly growing dog, so I feel that the leather and dark interior will lend itself to easier cleaning. In addition to this, the 1.4TSI produces more HP at around the same torque as the 1.6TDI, so is arguably more "fun". Running some numbers, I am better off with the FE over the course of the term by about 1.5k, if Seat are accurate with economy figures.

The problem comes from the FE interior. I don't hate it, but its very lazy and almost cheap feeling in comparison to the Xcellence. The cloth blue seats look like the cheap seat covers I got for my first car from Halfords. I'm torn as to whether or not to cancel the FE, and order a 1.4TSI Xcellence, or keep the FE, despite the things I don't like about it. It is such a difference to quality in my opinion. I much prefer the exterior of the FE, with its dark trimmings, but really wish the leather was an option.

Anyone else the same? Is there something I am missing with the FE?

**update: Went with the FE. The interior isn't nearly as bad as the pictures suggest. The 1.6TDI, to my surprise, provides plenty of power for my needs!"

·
Registered
47 Posts
You got it about right. Just down to preference. The first edition is about the same price because the diesel will be more expensive than petrol. Personally I don't do a lot of long journeys so I have opted for the 1.4tsi Xcellence. Which is in fact the same engine I have in my current audi and it's great!

·
Registered
61 Posts
If it helps, the 1.4 TSI I drove on the fleet day was quieter, smoother and more responsive than the 1.6 TDI I drove, back to back. The TSI really suits the car, the TDI feels like it's working harder for the same amount of progress. Both good cars though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Newtoseat said:
If it helps, the 1.4 TSI I drove on the fleet day was quieter, smoother and more responsive than the 1.6 TDI I drove, back to back. The TSI really suits the car, the TDI feels like it's working harder for the same amount of progress. Both good cars though.
I got a test drive of the 1.0l and 2.0l models last week. I found both well suited to the car in all honesty. The 1.0l handled it like an absolute champ,and the 2.0 had way more grunt, but nothing I could utilise in stop/start motorway traffic and carrying the dog around.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Having bought a First Edition 1.0 (hopefully get it next week!) I do think the spec is terrific for the price. However, if you have to get the 1.6 I reckon you may as well opt for the Xcellence. The FE makes more sense in the 1.0 spec because it's so much cheaper, possibly why they have diesels left but no petrols.

The 1.4 will be a more satisfying engine to drive, the leather is nice if that's your thing although I am not sure I prefer the all black interior otherwise. Chrome on outside is also something you either like or you don't, I prefer the Matt black of the FE and SE. I also didn't find anything particularly wrong with the cloth seats, the blue is a lot darker than the config pics suggest but agree they could have been made to look slightly more premium.

The extras are probably worth the extra chunk of change leaping from one to the other. The virtual foot pedal is not worth staying at the FE. You also get your pick of colours!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll probably stay with the FE. Not sure my 13000 miles a year warrants a diesel, but It's still a bit of a saving on tax and economy (and insurance, for some reason).

·
Registered
118 Posts
I e had a Diesel for many years now and average, as you do, about 13k per year. It seems to work well enough for me and frankly I just love the flexibility of a Diesel engine. Looking at the real world mpg seems to work but it does depend on the balance of journeys. I do some short runs, but a reasonable amount of miles on good A or M roads.

·
Registered
581 Posts
We only do about 10k a year, but as a company car, our choice was limited to the 1.0t or the 1.6tdi, couldn't have the 1.4 due to co2 levels.
So although I ideally wanted the 1.4, luckily I never had your dilemma and so went for the derv.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ghiggz said:
We only do about 10k a year, but as a company car, our choice was limited to the 1.0t or the 1.6tdi, couldn't have the 1.4 due to co2 levels.
So although I ideally wanted the 1.4, luckily I never had your dilemma and so went for the derv.
After some debate I went with the 1.6TDI fe. Got her today. The diesel engine is quite good actually, much better than anticipated. Arguably comparable to my previous 2.0l diesel BMW. My only criticism is that the engine takes a bit to "kick in", as the torque doesn't seem to deliver a burst until 1800rpm or there about. Still though, its shifting power surprised me, especially between 2nd and 4th gear, and it is as smooth as butter. Engine noise is what I expected (less than BMW).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts