Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't really drive off road, but with the storms around recently, I parked on some grass and couldn't get off, had to get towed off, a 4x4 towed off some grass.

It's the road tyres i know, has anyone put off road tyres on their Ateca

·
Registered
918 Posts
EDB4YLI55 said:
I don't really drive off road, but with the storms around recently, I parked on some grass and couldn't get off, had to get towed off, a 4x4 towed off some grass.

It's the road tyres i know, has anyone put off road tyres on their Ateca
You might still have had the problem even with off road tyres, Ed ! If not, probably would have churned the grass into mud :lol: :lol:
The off-road capabilities of the Ateca are probably best achieved I think on either dry or semi dry terrains (dirt / dusty / loose aggregate etc.).
Which Drive Select mode were you in? Off road I assume?
Clearly still mainly road cars, after all :shock:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mcderms, I would agree, and I think the grass was completely waterlogged and don't worry it was chuffed to mud, I actually saw a freelander being towed by a tractor so maybe I'm being too harsh on my little Ateca but I would agree off-road in drier terrain I'm sure I would excel.

It's was still good for being towed anyway

·
Registered
918 Posts
EDB4YLI55 said:
mcderms, I would agree, and I think the grass was completely waterlogged and don't worry it was chuffed to mud, I actually saw a freelander being towed by a tractor so maybe I'm being too harsh on my little Ateca but I would agree off-road in drier terrain I'm sure I would excel.

It's was still good for being towed anyway
Yes - maybe a bit harsh, lol :lol:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Factory fit tyres don't help. Low profile, virtually slick are next to useless on a 4x4 or even a standard car. No wonder traffic grinds to a halt with just a light sprinkling of snow these days. We didn't have this problem when I first started motoring (drove mine off the ark ;)) Tyres were skinny with chunky tread.

My current car is a Skoda Octavia 4x4, very disappointing with the factory fitted tyres, eventually I fitted M&S tyres and have not been stuck on a wet grass pitch towing my caravan since.

When researching my new car, I was particularly interested in wheel sixes and tyres. The only 4x4 (in my price range) that came with 16" wheels and M&S tyres from the factory was the Dacia Duster. The 19" low profile tyres on the 4x4 Excellence put me off, as did the lack of a petrol engine combination with 4x4.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Some builder parked his 4x4 Nissan Cab Pickup on a flat grass area opposite my house last year - these are the cars popular the world over for their off-road capabilities. And he had to get a tow out!

4x4 is next to useless if you're wearing the wrong tyres for the job. It's the same with snow and ice, 4x4 is no different to 2wd - if none of the wheels can find traction, the car ain't going anywhere.

Try going off-road on a mountain bike with road tyres rather than knobbly tyres, or over ice with knobbly tyres rather than studded tyres.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Storm Doris dumped a load of snow in my neck of the woods. I've got Michelin Cross Climate tyres on my current Leon and I was astonished by how grippy they were in comparison to my previous tyres and whatever half the abandoned cars on the hill where I work were using.

Looked into the price for fitting them to the Ateca 17" when it arrives but £135 a corner so it will have to wait until they are needed.

I would rate them as one of the best tyres I've used both wet and dry.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
M&S tyres?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Why, Marks and Spencers of course :D

Sometimes also mud and snow. They have a different tread pattern and are made of a different rubber compound that perform better in colder weather.
Cheaper version of Winter Tyres but you can run on them all year.
Sometimes called All Seasons.
Compulsory fit in some countries

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Phosphoric said:
Why, Marks and Spencers of course :D

Sometimes also mud and snow. They have a different tread pattern and are made of a different rubber compound that perform better in colder weather.
Cheaper version of Winter Tyres but you can run on them all year.
Sometimes called All Seasons.
Compulsory fit in some countries
Thank you lol

I knew winter and all season but had never heard it as M&S ..... and yes I did think of the shop :mrgreen:

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Kaizer83 said:
Storm Doris dumped a load of snow in my neck of the woods. I've got Michelin Cross Climate tyres on my current Leon and I was astonished by how grippy they were in comparison to my previous tyres and whatever half the abandoned cars on the hill where I work were using.

Looked into the price for fitting them to the Ateca 17" when it arrives but £135 a corner so it will have to wait until they are needed.

I would rate them as one of the best tyres I've used both wet and dry.
The ones that Honest John raves about.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'd agree that tyres definitely make the biggest difference. I live on an incredibly steep hill and currently have an Octavia 2.0 150 DSG fitted with N'Priz 4s tyres. Those tyres are fantastic - I've frequently climbed the hill in snow and passed 4x4 vehicles that are stuck and going nowhere. When I fit them I wasn't expecting much as they are 4 season tyres, not winter ones. Not only has the level of grip astounded me, but I've got 23k miles on them and still loads of tread left. They're not quite down to the winter wear markers and loads left before they're anywhere near the summer wear markers - not that I'll see how long they ultimately last as the Ateca is due in the next 3 weeks. As an added bonus they're really quiet too. At about £70 per corner on 225/45R17s I consider them bargain of the century.

I really wanted to put them on the Ateca when it arrives, but unfortunately they don't come in the unusal size the Ateca will require.

·
Registered
111 Posts
My 2CVs went everywhere with their bicycle wheels and tyres, left 4x4s stranded in snow. I think the weight distribution helped too, about 80% directly above the front driven wheels. Wouldn't go back now though...

·
Registered
132 Posts
That looks a bit better!
Wonder what size rims they are?
Now that "looks" like a proper SUV :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Check this BMW X6 video and you will love your Ateca :)

·
Registered
979 Posts
mike22 said:
Check this BMW X6 video and you will love your Ateca :)

hahahaha that was brilliant, made my day Mike :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have to say I properly hate all BMWs, and would never ever have one. I always said that if I was given a choice between a BMW and a Robin Reliant, the Reliant would be my choice. :D

·
Registered
242 Posts
Kindness71 said:
I have to say I properly hate all BMWs, and would never ever have one. I always said that if I was given a choice between a BMW and a Robin Reliant, the Reliant would be my choice. :D
Having traded in a 1 series for the Ateca I think I'd agree with you. From rusty seat bases to a disintegrating rear wiper blade and seats that triggered a back problem I doubt I'd go back.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts