·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Ateca is even more awesome to see in the flesh, the wife had to drag me out of the showroom :lol:

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting

Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting

Car Tire Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Land vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

Vehicle Car Speedometer Motor vehicle Steering part

Speedometer Car Tachometer Vehicle Gauge

Gear shift Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

Attachments

·
Registered
334 Posts
It was lovely. I was in there for a good hour and a half! My wife isn't that interested, just trusts my judgement to buy something sensible. She must be mad! :) The kids and her will definitely come along for the test drive though!

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
There are at least two white ones doing the rounds since the twin car was on the car carrier when they picked up the demo car. Think Seat gave up using rhodium grey as a press car, that one doesn't work in exhibition lighting.

My dealer says they are having their launch 9th - 11th September and will have atleast one Xcellence. So the moment of truth gets closure on the leather interior. The Xcellence is all black inside in its UK spec. I did see an Altea XL in rhodium grey today that didn't look too bad. Think mine will be very government looking as opposed to vibrant orange.

BTW those led lights do move. I saw a car the other day with them illuminating in an onward moving pattern. Must be how the power levels change in parallel connected small LEDs or may be some circuit to get that effect. No shutter manual or electronic was involved, just my eyes.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Magpie86 said:
It was lovely. I was in there for a good hour and a half! My wife isn't that interested, just trusts my judgement to buy something sensible. She must be mad! :) The kids and her will definitely come along for the test drive though!
My wife is the same.. They had one in Cardiff city centre recently and a week later in our local dealer, and both times she wasn't at all bothered about seeing it, and I went on my own...

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah wish I had gone on my own as only ended up looking at it for 20 minutes or so. I'm trying to find out if they all come with an electric opening/closing boot without the virtual pedal thing. I'm hoping in does but can't find out any info anywhere. The dealer wasn't sure but thought it didn't.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Think the pedal is all part of it, that's how I understand it.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I always believed the virtual pedal was in addition to the electric opening and closing, and is an option on every spec level, even the excellence. That's how I read it. It was thrown in as an option on the first edition anyway.

But now you have got me thinking, I am not sure on whether the electric tailgate is there as standard without the virtual pedal option. Did anyone get the virtual pedal working on the LHD model? I believe the white LHD models doing the rounds don't have the virtual pedal, but obviously do have the electric tailgate. That's what my dealership believed anyway, I'm guessing they spent a while waving the foot around trying to make it work! That makes it sound possible to spec, or be there as standard. It's a Spanish spec so we can't read much into it, but it is confusing the issue.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tried the virtual pedal but didn't work. I wasn't sure if you needed the keys on you for the proximity sensor? I've had a look in the manual that is linked to in the forum & I believe all models have the electric boot or maybe just the keyless entry ones, still not 100% sure.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Magpie86 said:
Did anyone get the virtual pedal working on the LHD model? I believe the white LHD models doing the rounds don't have the virtual pedal, but obviously do have the electric tailgate. That's what my dealership believed anyway, I'm guessing they spent a while waving the foot around trying to make it work! That makes it sound possible to spec, or be there as standard. It's a Spanish spec so we can't read much into it, but it is confusing the issue.
Yes the white one I saw in Cardiff centre (which I gather is the same one of a few going all over the country) had virtual pedal, had a quick go of it..

·
Registered
334 Posts
Ghiggz said:
Yes the white one I saw in Cardiff centre had virtual pedal, had a quick go of it..
Did it work ok? I am intrigued. Will see if I use it at all. I will probably struggle to remember to hit the button rather than slam it down to begin with, let alone wave a magic foot!

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
I've never had a go at the foot wave since the two I've seen didn't have the keys, so whilst you could lift and lower you could not use your foot. I did try out the method to hold the raising position which is used for low garages. Visions of the partner crashing the tailgate on hotels air ducks in their garages in Europe. You hold the tailgate internal button till it trills and that's the new default height. I had five months on a house clearance and the foot method would have been good on the tip and charity shop runs.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Kindness71 said:
I tried the virtual pedal but didn't work. I wasn't sure if you needed the keys on you for the proximity sensor? I've had a look in the manual that is linked to in the forum & I believe all models have the electric boot or maybe just the keyless entry ones, still not 100% sure.
Either in exhibition mode it doesn't work or times out. So whilst you can lift and lower by hitting the button you can't use the foot wave. Ditto with the panoramic roof where you needed the keys. I played with a Tiguan as a proxy for this.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Magpie86 said:
Ghiggz said:
Yes the white one I saw in Cardiff centre had virtual pedal, had a quick go of it..
Did it work ok? I am intrigued. Will see if I use it at all. I will probably struggle to remember to hit the button rather than slam it down to begin with, let alone wave a magic foot!
Yes it worked fine... the woman from Seat (who said she was one of the designers) had the key on her and demonstrated stood next to me, then I had a go with her still stood next to me... worked fine both times..
Personally I would never use it if I had it... Just seems lazy to me and a bit of a pollava too!!
You wave foot, there is about a second pause, then a few warning beeps, then the click and it slowly comes up.. then same when you press close button.. by now i'd have opened manually, dumped what I had, closed up, and be in the seat!!!

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Well it's useful to the elderly who can't whack tailgates shut. I have enough problems standing back especially if others cars are parked close, reach up and whack down. The Altea is closed with a big whack else the seals bounce the door back out. It's just on one catch then with a door warning light. Expect the Ateca is much the same.

The foot wave is when you are laden in both hands and don't want to put stuff down. I think it's more of an accessibility device like rear power sliding doors. Those ones are so you can load the baby in the back, but they are pretty difficult if you cut the power to the doors. Mazda 5 power sliding doors.

On the back power Ateca tailgate you have resistance if you operate without using the power. So if you go for the luxury of the power tailgate you can't operate it manually. If you use the tailgate knocking trick to get the driver to pull a lever, they now have the front button to lift the tail gate. Presume it's also there to keep the fingers clean. For me it's a big piece of metal to lift and close and a power aid to make life easier is good. Will have to try a non power Ateca tailgate to validate my decision :).

·
Registered
334 Posts
Since I found out I would have it, there is a suprising amount of times I have thought "wow that would be useful right now" on my current car. Usually with both hands full with shopping and kids kicking off in the trolley at the supermarket! Speeds it up a bit maybe. Will see. The electric tailgate button is semi useful, obviously it's required for the pedal system to work. Other than that it's just a very fancy bonus! It wasn't on my list of must haves when considering a car.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
It probably depends how short you are as well as age :). It would have been a God send for clearing out mothers house when I was up and down the drive with card board boxes with hands full for days and weeks. You don't really want to put boxes down in the mud and then transfer them into the boot. Also when loading the car on holiday you don't want to drop the bags to then open up. It's got its uses. Certainly if you're getting more mature arms whacking down the tailgate down can also be painful on the arms and back. Us retirees have the time to listen to the clicks and pops. On manual open by pressing the button it was pretty fast. My concern is more the accident of hitting a low hotel garage roof if you don't intercept the operation. It won't be me who does this.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Having said this, I suppose its good for kids also.... yesterday my son, 8, went out to the car on the drive for his ball left in boot.. about an hour later I noticed the sidelights on through the window (a sign on our car that something is open) looked out and saw the boot half down, went out to shut it and it appears he opened the boot, couldn't reach it to close, so has pulled down on the SHOCK.. AAARGH it was all bent and wouldn't go back into itself... took me about 20mins to get it straight enough to close the boot again, but now there's a scraping noise when you open and close it...!!!

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Tell said:
My concern is more the accident of hitting a low hotel garage roof if you don't intercept the operation. It won't be me who does this.
It is possible to adjust how far up it goes when it opens to avoid this sort of problem.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.