Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having doubts over my choice to have the convenience of the double floor instead of a spare wheel!

Is it really an either/or situation as messing around with repair gunk and a compressor at the roadside doesn't appeal.

Can one order a spare afterwards or is it only available to order when buying the car?

Grateful for thoughts/advice.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I believe the problem is that when the double (really, adjustable) floor is in the lower of its two positions, there is not enough room beneath for the space saver spare to fit. If one only ever intended to use the floor in its top position then I think the wheel would fit, but then what's the point of having a movable boot floor?
I am fairly certain that one or two people here have managed to get hold of a space saver, but there remains the question of fixing it in place and the associated packing bits plus jack etc.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess what I'm really after, is a floor in the uppermost position rather than two adjustable levels and a spare wheel :) it's the 4wd version I'm getting if that changes the options.

·
Registered
979 Posts
The double floor works fine with the spare in 2wd versions as I have. I don't however believe it's possible in 4wd due to lack of space. I also don't think anyone has managed to get an official spare after delivery for some reason. 🙄

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Ruth and hubby / partner Mark, got an official spare wheel after the dealer went bust and the order got commuted to less spare wheel and sound system. Then I reckon over a three month period they have been sent odd bits of plastic of the wrong size to fit. There is a thread.

Seat UK is of the view I believe that if you don't think through your order then tough. I'm sure a wheel place can kit someone out who wants to put a spare in, you just can't buy the parts from Seat.

4Drive with spare doesn't leave alot of usable space down there since the axle takes up a chunk, the spare, then may be an inche between the spare and the top floor. Plastic surround, that's your lot. You will get a tow rope in on the left, some odd tools but that's it. It isn't helped that in the 4Drive the boot top floor isn't level with the hatch, although my theory is this has been done to protect the hatch from stuff smashing into it on the assumption the car is going to be taken off road. So 2 - 3" is lost there if the top floor was level.

Anybody use to a double boot is going to be in for a shock with the 4Drive unless they are coming from another similar car. I knew I was going to loose space. I had loads in my Altea with a double boot and spare but a 4Drive axle tips it.

On carrying a spare some tyre damage can't be repaired with those tyre kits. The one I quote here is the ballooning tyre wall which I discovered in Luxembourg after doing the Xmas shopping ready to drive back to the UK on a Sunday the next day. They still close everything down on a Sunday so there was no way of buying a spare to get home, however the skinny in the boot saved the day, returning at a maximum of 50mph although I might have got to 70 on it ;).

It's the law of probabilities whether you get damage to the tyre wall or a severe puncture where a tyre kit isn't any help, I spent 12 years carrying a spare in the Altea never got used, but the ZX one did as covered above. You trade space for peace of mind that you got a spare that can be fitted. For people who use their cars on schools runs and have local suburban journeys you can probably rely on breakdown recovery but those who are travelling in remote parts / have to get home after a tyre issue carrying a spare has many advantages.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Kindness71 said:
The double floor works fine with the spare in 2wd versions as I have. I don't however believe it's possible in 4wd due to lack of space. I also don't think anyone has managed to get an official spare after delivery for some reason. 🙄
This might be of interest to some:

My 2WD with variable boot floor came with the dreaded inflation kit. After some research, I found that the 18" space saver spare wheel kit for the Seat Leon is an exact fit for the Ateca. A dealer confirmed that the Ateca Space Saver has the same part number as the Leon, as does the jack etc. I managed to obtain a brand new Leon space saver tyre and tool kit from Ebay. The tool kit sits in a polystyrene holder that fits exactly into the Ateca spare wheel well, to the LH side of the wheel. There are two fixing points for the kit already provided in the Ateca. The wheel goes in upside down, held down by the existing fixing point and screw provided for the inflation kit. There is plenty of space for storage inside the wheel itself and to the RH side of the wheel. The variable boot floor is not affected when in the lower position.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Dasalias you have the answer to the returning theme :).

·
Registered
931 Posts
just looking at that Leon kit - does that mean to say that even tho std Ateca comes with inflation system, there's no jack or nut wrench included? That's be unusual as any other 'inflation kit' car I've drive has always come with a jack and wrench.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Golfmk56 said:
just looking at that Leon kit - does that mean to say that even tho std Ateca comes with inflation system, there's no jack or nut wrench included? That's be unusual as any other 'inflation kit' car I've drive has always come with a jack and wrench.
Yes. My Ateca inflation kit came with no jack or nut wrench, only the locking wheel nut adaptor, towing eye and and a wire device to get the nut covers off.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the feedback everyone, looks like I need to sort this out with the dealer as not having a spare seems more of a problem than I imagined.

·
Registered
931 Posts
dasalias said:
My Ateca inflation kit came with no jack or nut wrench, only the locking wheel nut adaptor, towing eye and and a wire device to get the nut covers off.
So you're able to expose your nuts but can do anything with them? :lol:

·
Registered
280 Posts
dasalias said:
Yes. My Ateca inflation kit came with no jack or nut wrench, only the locking wheel nut adaptor, towing eye and and a wire device to get the nut covers off.
That sounds rather like 'penny pinching' to me.

Now I know that my car has arrived at the dealers... even though I am not picking it up until 1st March, I hope to pay them a visit one day next week so that I can check this sort of thing out for myself.

I have not gone for the space saving spare wheel either, but am now beginning to wish that I had! :(

EDIT: I am now waiting for an appropriate comment (or perhaps not!) from Saggy on the previous post! ;)

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
It's what was in thou little black bags that I never looked in when the white demo Ateca's were doing the rounds. The tyre kit.

Montala it seems eBay is your friend if you want to buy a spare and get a bit of plastic and some tools. It's good that Dasalias has the answer to this one that kept cropping up as people without spares wished they had ordered one and Seat didn't want to know about post selling it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Thanks dasalias & Tell... I have just had a quick check on eBay and have found the item in question!

It doesn't look as if it is a 'genuine' SEAT spare, but assume it would still give me the option of the higher boot floor height... or would I have to fit any additional supports first?

I will be interested to see what is actually in (or under!) the boot floor of my new Ateca!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Golfmk56 said:
dasalias said:
My Ateca inflation kit came with no jack or nut wrench, only the locking wheel nut adaptor, towing eye and and a wire device to get the nut covers off.
So you're able to expose your nuts but can do anything with them? :lol:
It's an age-old problem...

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Montana

dasalias said:
This might be of interest to some:

My 2WD with variable boot floor came with the dreaded inflation kit. After some research, I found that the 18" space saver spare wheel kit for the Seat Leon is an exact fit for the Ateca. A dealer confirmed that the Ateca Space Saver has the same part number as the Leon, as does the jack etc. I managed to obtain a brand new Leon space saver tyre and tool kit from Ebay. The tool kit sits in a polystyrene holder that fits exactly into the Ateca spare wheel well, to the LH side of the wheel. There are two fixing points for the kit already provided in the Ateca. The wheel goes in upside down, held down by the existing fixing point and screw provided for the inflation kit. There is plenty of space for storage inside the wheel itself and to the RH side of the wheel. The variable boot floor is not affected when in the lower position.
Reading the text I take it to be this one which says Genuine... a number also are shown like this so would not want to promote one over another but the text above says on the left hand side, so that's there. The genuine Ateca one has a left and right plastic side but if you can't get them Hobson's choice. Wait to see what Dasalias says, but it's going to be a Leon Mk3 spare.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-SEAT-Accessories-SEAT-Leon-ST-Estate-MK3-Spare-Wheel-Kit-18-/272523667946?hash=item3f73ad29ea:g:xaIAAOSwmmxW6ub9

BTW I see this is Horton Spare Parts that features a lot on here as a place to get economic accessories...

·
Registered
931 Posts
Guess the easy answer is if you want a mini spare, put it on the options list (£110)

If however you aren't able to do that, then there's always that Leon kit (£190) ouch!

I actually bought an unused VAG 18" mini-spare (off an 2015 Audi) + polystyrene tool kit holder for £60. I had been hoping the jack and wrench were already included when the Ateca arrives, but guess that'll be a £20 shopping trip to Amazon now.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Possibly more pretty to buy the Ateca one at the start but least gives some flexibility to changing your mind or buying a stock car and post fitting it out.

·
Registered
979 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Looking at the tyre pressure thread it's a different size tyre from the factory one. That is 145/80 but the factory one is 125/70.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts