Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first thing I am likely to do with new Areca is park in a car park for 2 to 3 weeks. Should the battery go flat in this time (Which should be unlikely) there is a locking device which locks the gearbox in P. The car park operators provide a jump start facility so, if the car is started like this does the lock come off automatically or do I have to manually release it?

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
I'd be interested in the replies. I ready the performance about if the battery goes flat in the manual.

The other thing I do when leaving mine parked up for 3 weeks is too chock the wheels and leave the handbrake off. Presume a nifty bit of switching off autohold may do that or not, haven't tried. Other people say you don't need to do this but I do.

On the first I guess on a new car it's very doubtful the battery would go flat if you had been doing reasonable runs before leaving it, but at four years of battery life probably wouldn't be worth risking it. I suspect the one fitted is a four year one, haven't looked. So I'd guess best to change it in the 4th year before parking up and you are into winter. That would be 2020. I've had ones that die exactly to schedule.

I reckon the car would take it that it had been fiddled with, so if the mechanism is triggered you would have to go through that performance to get it back off.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Page 41 of the manual

Manual Release of the Selector Lever....

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
I'm rather hoping a battery change wouldn't require that and you wouldn't want the Halford boys doing that. A bit of a sod if you have to go through that every time you change the battery ?.

I think you can read that in "panic" mode or not. Basically I think what it's saying is if the car has to be moved and needs to be taken out of P then you do that procedure. But if you are changing the battery or a jump start then it's OK. I'm going to work on that basis if somebody doesn't say otherwise. So a jump start would be fine, page 58.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Surely, as soon as you connect the jump cables, the power to the car will be restored, so you should have no problem as everything will work? As Tell said, it's only a problem if you need to move the car and have no other power available.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.