Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Is it that since it hasn't been released in any market yet, a EuroNcap isn't required yet. Companies will do their own tests and then pass them on for final testing before the car is released ?. They might regard it as commercial information so don't want other manufacturers using the results in adverts or want to use the results themselves ?. So why publish before you have to may be.

There is nothing for the new Tiguan either which suggests we might be looking in the wrong place or their testing process takes a time to do ?.

http://www.euroncap.com/en/ratings-rewards/latest-safety-ratings/?selectedMake=7318&selectedMakeName=VW&selectedModel=7508&selectedModelName=Tiguan&nodeId=1455&allProtocols=true&includeFullSafetyPackage=true&includeStandardSafetyPackage=true&selectedProtocols=24370,1472,5910,5931,-1,14999&selectedClasses=1202,1199,1201,1196,1205,1203,1198,1179,1197,1204,1180&allClasses=true#&allDriverAssistanceTechnologies=false&selectedDriverAssistanceTechnologies=

OK correct answer is this

Before the Euro NCAP car safety ratings were established in 1997, customers had to rely on a manufacturer's reputation and the safety features fitted to its models to know which were the safest cars. Euro NCAP has solved this problem by buying cars anonymously, and conducting independent tests on them to produce their car safety ratings. Almost 20 years on since the company carried out its first tests, a five-star result - which is awarded to the safest cars - is considered near mandatory for any new mass-market car sold in Europe.

Read more: Euro NCAP: How safe is my car? | Carbuyer http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/tips-and-advice/112490/euro-ncap-how-safe-my-car#ixzz4BONBIzGH
Follow us: @CarbuyerUK on Twitter | CarbuyerUK on Facebook
http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/tips-and-advice/112490/euro-ncap-how-safe-my-car

So basically they buy a production car and take it away for testing. They get in the queue to buy like other buyers.

BTW my brother use to work for Vauxhall Motors proving ground (Millbrooke) so on the family open day we got to see a barrier test and went round the bowl at 100 MPH. Something that you don't forget. He was an electronics engineer doing the transducer measurements in the development of Vauxhall cars. The ones they didn't want us to see they had covered up. I think they then sold it off so it was available for any car manufacture.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
One suspects that the airbag system / crumple zones are over engineered so as to give a margin for some not deploying correctly. The PDF didn't seem to be too bothered about the curtain airbag not being deployed correctly

In the side barrier test, the side curtain airbag did not deploy as intended and, while dummy readings were good, the score for the head was penalised and protection for this part of the body was rated as adequate. The same penalty was applied in the side pole test, even though the airbag deployed correctly. Protection of the head and the chest was rated as adequate and dummy readings indicated good protection of al other body regions.
So they took the transducer readings on the dummies rather than what physically happened to the airbags. You assume level playing field between cars on how NCAP put together the scores. The first was the side barrier test to replicate a vehicle coming in from the side. That penalty was applied to a poll test which one assumes is hitting a side poll although deployment was fine. Thus they errored down the poll test even though that one was physically fine on deploynent and it was still rated as is. I don't think there is too much to get bothered about myself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.