Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that sometimes I have a small puddle under my car. Looking underneath it's water coming off the exhaust (not from the pipes).

Anyone else have a sweaty exhaust? :?:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yep, Every time I park up the exhaust takes a piss.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Some condensation is normal I'd guess, but excessive condensate...? Out of curiosity, are you driving long distances or short? i.e. Does the car have enough time to warm up properly - cold exhaust means more condensate.

Well that's my theory, but I'm not a mechanic so someone else feel free to correct me!

·
Registered
918 Posts
Are you sure it's the exhaust dripping?
It's quite common for this to happen - but in fact its from the air con system; there is a drain underneath the car to allow the moisture the air con extracts from the air inside the car to drain away rather than build up. More common to see it in warmer weather, though.
I thought I had a fluid leak once or twice, but it was definitely from the air con - an internet search usually brings up plenty of confirmation on this. :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It usually happens to me on warmer days, after a drive to/from work (approx 10 miles).

It's definitely coming from the exhaust, as I've wiped where the drip is coming from and the drips reappear.

A quick internet search found that some cars have small hole to drain the condensation from the exhaust to slow down the corrosion process. Anyone else heard of this?

·
Registered
918 Posts
Drmac said:
It usually happens to me on warmer days, after a drive to/from work (approx 10 miles).

It's definitely coming from the exhaust, as I've wiped where the drip is coming from and the drips reappear.

A quick internet search found that some cars have small hole to drain the condensation from the exhaust to slow down the corrosion process. Anyone else heard of this?
I haven't heard of this, Drmac, but it seems a perfectly plausible possibility :D

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Many many years ago we had a Renault 12 which had a design problem in the exhaust which meant that condensation, which is unavoidable, collected in the front part of the silence which caused corrosion which meant that you only got two years out of a basic (not stainless) silencer and exhaust system.

The solution was to drill a hole in the back of the silencer, similar to the suggestions in the above link.

However, if it is draining to the rear, it is probably not a problem. The amount of water involved is probably less than the AC dumps all the time it's on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts