Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
After only 11 days of owning the Ateca - have a problem and it's not dirt in doors!

Not one for using the fan/AC much this time of year when just around town etc. But since the weekend when it's on noted at times what only to described as a 'loud bang' or sounds like a box been run over. Seems when stoping as stop/start kicks in/off or reverse engaged. Anyway after playing around its linked to fan recirculation engaging:

See video I took:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8udm73pdpr42w9g/IMG_1692.MOV?dl=0

Note this was in the rain and with the wipers going. Contacted dealer and car is going next week to be fully looked and fixed, the other one they had in did not make this sound when fan recirculation kicks in.

Interested to know if any of you guys have this issues?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Ohh not tried mine on recirculating at all

Will try give it a go tomorrow and see

·
Registered
931 Posts
Never had recirculation on so this is a pure guess - from watching your video it just sounds just like the vent flap opening / closing... but it shouldn't make THAT loud a noise. Perhaps it's trying but failing to close/open.

Just thinking how would you test if recirculation is actually working? Have someone fart in front of the car and if you can smell it inside with recirculation 'on' then you know you've a faulty flap. :lol: (And hope the person who farts doesn't have a faulty flap too! :oops: )

Alternatively, if you want to try diagnosing the problem yourself, you could remove the glovebox and have a look. You should see the tubing for air vents - all that happens when you press the 'rec' button is a flap moves to redirect the airflow. You should be able to see that flap moving. At 11 days old tho, I'd let the garage do the investigating.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On VAG cars with climate control the recirculation mode switches on quite a lot to keep the cabin clean when your reversing a diesel or screenwash spayed. You will here the fan speed increases a little and then go back to normal.

My old 9 year skoda did this and made a big thing in the manual.

I have a feeling when I use to diy car stuff last century it could be a big job for them to fix if whole heating system has to be replaced.....

God knows what they did on PDI and not noticed this - Big lesson here always check everything before getting ink on the contact !

·
Registered
122 Posts
Definitely a VAG thing- happened to my wifes 64 plate Ibiza when that was a year old or so - they changed the mechanism - only took a couple of hrs and been fine since (the compressor needed to be replaced on an unrelated note as they think they forgot to put oil in it at the factory!!!!).

Will need to check the Ateca's.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the update today after my car has spent the day at the dealers... the "ventilation system needs replacing" and "we have to take the whole dashboard to fit it" plus will take us "some time to get parts", oh and "your car will have to go to another dealer to do this job!" Excellent a brand new and has to be taken to bits......

The manger at the dealer is going to call me in the morning after I insisted on talking to him. Reported the issue to VW Finance pm as well and a another follow up to SEAT UK email. In two minds as to what to do, reject car or get repaired, what would you guys do?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My car came back on Wednesday night and in the end they did not need to take the dashboard out, only drop the glovebox etc and some trim to re fit the part. Whisper quite now!

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Glad that's sorted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts