Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all, has anyone had an issue with their Stop Start not engaging because for some reason the fan is on?

The car wasn't cold but it wasnt red hot either, plus its below 4degree C ambient so why the fan was on beats me, AC wasnt on and there were no high power demands to prevent the Stop Start. Could be the first warranty issue.

ps: i like the stop start function, in a manual it works well (usually) depress clutch and by the time gear is selected im on my way.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok so got an answer from SEAT, its part of the DPF regeneration process, exhaust heats to a high temp, fan keeps engine bay cool whilst the engine runs like normal, at the beginning of the process the engine will idle high and you may smell a warm smell but if you are on a run then you wouldnt even notice!

All normal so phew! Its fine now too, always happens after you call them and you think there's something wrong :roll:

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
That might have been my issue this afternoon. Long run but did a bit of shopping at Sainsbury so was off for 30 minutes, two miles on, switched off but the fan went on and on and on. There was a hot smell. Must have been about five minutes or so, restarted, put lights to off, then it decided to power down the fan after I switched back off.

Wondering then whether it was at the end of the regeneration so continued to keep the engine bay cool even thou the engine was off. Thanks. Wonder if there is a regeneration light or they think you don't need to know... think don't need to know.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Dunn VAG Happy said:
Morning all, has anyone had an issue with their Stop Start not engaging because for some reason the fan is on?

The car wasn't cold but it wasnt red hot either, plus its below 4degree C ambient so why the fan was on beats me, AC wasnt on and there were no high power demands to prevent the Stop Start. Could be the first warranty issue.

ps: i like the stop start function, in a manual it works well (usually) depress clutch and by the time gear is selected im on my way.
We have start/stop on three VW group cars; sometimes it kicks in when you think it might not; other times it won't when you think it might. From experience there can be so many variables with the cars given state at any point in time (quite apart from the 'mandatory' conditions to be met for it to be possible to kick in at all !) that it's worth just relying on the electronic systems to do their job :D Understand some people like it; others don't - but at least it's possible to switch it off (but not permanently otherwise defeats the purpose and is how the cars are - whisper it - measured for emissions testing :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I thought I got on OK with it in a DSG before too ...... unless I am confusing it with a manual that had it

if I remember right a touch of accelerator in anticipation and everything got turned on :)

I will experiment

·
Registered
918 Posts
Saggy said:
I thought I got on OK with it in a DSG before too ...... unless I am confusing it with a manual that had it

if I remember right a touch of accelerator in anticipation and everything got turned on :)

I will experiment
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Is it just me, or are you purposely teeing me up for double entendres, Saggy ! :p

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
;)

most would read it innocently ................ you and Dougie just seem to be good at spotting them *angelic smile

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Not that the conversation is drifting.

I did some googles and during the regeneration it is clever enough to stop the auto start / stop whilst it's doing it's thing to clean the DPF. Now you can catch what it's doing either in the middle of the cycle or when it's completed. That cycle makes the fan burst at full speed for 5 minutes to cool down the engine compartment during this process as it sprays un burnt diesel into the DPF for a bonfire, the temperatures go up to 500'C, .

By pure luck Dunn Vag had this happen on the same day as I. Now I don't know whether mine had completed or I switched it off in the middle of the process. I can't find a DPF light in the manual so it does this "silently" but you can become aware if you use start / stop since it disables it during the process, or comes to standstill and you find the fan madly blowing and hot air gushing under the car and the smell of burning. Some people say you don't always get the smell, The cycles occurs every 200 miles or so but dependents on how much grot it's got to burn off in the DPF. It detects the blockage and goes into this cycle. People who drive in ECO get more effected by the DPF burn off process since the engine is never running really hot.

I have the auto start stop turned off but did notice this mad blowing from the front and hot air and the smell coming out (toasty warm on a cold day standing outside in the air blowing off under the car). So yes, snap Vag Dunn. Never had one with a DPF before and no I didn't know what it was up too either when this was going on.

Google ""vw tdi dpf regeneration" for any one interested.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts