Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see in the latest edition of Fleetworld they have a road test of the Ateca. Currently not available online. Contains the normal stuff about how good the car is but picks on the boot cover describing

the load cover is a solid shelf instead of a retracting blind
Goes on to say

without the optional under floor compartment, there is nowhere to store it when it's out of use
Well I never ordered the optional floor compartment since the spare and speaker with the sound system take up that space in the main. I did notice yesterday that the cover dropped down when you were not holding it. Really you have to pull it out completely if you are trying to get at much in that area. Assuming you only have the spare and Jack there it would only be those times of a puncture. Storing nick knacks in there as well would be more tricky than the blind type cover that I have on my Altea for getting stuff in and out. I fold a few panels back on the blind for that.

I'm not too sure what you get in the optional underfloor compartment if you don't have the spare. Something to look out for when ordering. Anyone ?. I did sea the Tiguan had a height adjustable arrangement on the boot panel. Question is whether the blind cover is or is not available and you always pull out a large panel when accessing the lower area.

The article picks up on no sliding rear seats. The enterprising DIYer, I guess could check whether the Tiguan rails could be used in it. Klawit on the other SEAT board 11 years ago found that the Golf Plus sliding rails could be fitted to the Altea and named the parts doing it themselves. Given the new Tiguan / Ateca shared ancestory might be possible.

The review liked the technology, detail and quality. Thought that it deserved to do well. It thought that the car felt more premium to the Leon. The section above that, covered that it replaced the Altea describing the Ateca as "a fashionable family mover to replace the Altea".

In the summary what we think box

De Meon sees crossovers as sports cars for families, and the Ateca is well positioned to take on the driver focused part of this segment. It looks, feels, and drives like a quality product, and offers a wide choice of technologies and engine fleets. That should bode well for success in the corporate sector
Positive review but dwelt on the rigidity of the rear seats and boot flexibility.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Interesting they think it is nicer than the Leon. Very encouraging.

Boot space wise I would have actually specced the optional boot floor. I had it in my fiat and I often had it set to create a flat loading bay while hiding "emergency kid related bits" in the small area created underneath. The area created in that case was about 5 inchs high. Those things I wanted in the car all the time would never actually impact the boot space as they were out the way, so I could load shopping in with visually nothing else in the boot.

Bit annoyed I couldn't have it in the first edition! If it is literally just an additional shaped board and nothing in the car itself is different I can't see why I wouldn't be able to get my hands on one somehow. A question to ask in August.

A space to store the cover would have been handy. A retractable one would have been even better although I am guessing you can't rest things on top (blocking the rear view window) in that case due to lack of strength.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tiguan has a boot kit you can buy. I do note that the configuration page of the Ateca now drops you off on the accessories order page before you get to the bottom line (that's new in the last week or so). Now many colour rims etc. The Ateca one might be there. Think what the guy means is if you need the extra space the top plain then gets dropped to the bottom (as storage) - perhaps he didn't say that and that's his complaint. I saw this assembly as I said in the Tiguan so I reckon it is what is offered on the Ateca's as an accessory (may be).

Ah his text is

Without the optional under-floor compartment, there's nowhere to store it when it's out of use
So you did the right thing and got it, then I think it drops to the bottom in the stacking order. If you have a spare wheel then they don't expect you to store too much lower down but still a pain that it's a solid piece of materiel and doesn't fold back in segments for easy access to pull out stuff you have tucked away into the lower area.

My sneaky Ateca photos of the spare wheel get messed up since I need two hands to hold the lid up and one to take the photo - why I haven't got a proper picture of the spare in location yet showing the whole boot.

On build quality. I did pump the seat drivers side up and it did make a nasty noise at the top like the racket had gone but perhaps some other guy had already done this on the white one doing the rounds, not me. It is very roomy in the back. I didn't sit in the back on the previous occasion. I did note my legs clipping the passenger glove box with it open. That's how the cabin space is used. I don't think when I am a passenger in my Altea the glove box lid down hits my legs.

On cabin bins. The door bins are fairly large more than my Altea I'm sure. The centre front bin is pretty small since these days they aren't sized to take a CD changer. You do also have a storage box under each drivers seat if you don't spec the electric seat for the driver when you loose one. My issue is that I loose boot space around the spare wheel due to the 4x4 axle so that means all the stuff I currently carry about I'll have to prune back by about 80 percent. See if I will be able to get the foam moulded stuff out to give more space. The Altea, early ones had a storage shelf built in to the parcel shelf. It doesn't have that, so for me a reduction in cubby space apart from I think the door bins get bigger.

On the positives I can get about 24 bottles of wine behind the passenger seats of my Altea on continental runs, think that will go up (Brexit allowing) with the Ateca since there must be more much more foot well space and a bigger boot. Not too sure how they achieve the space in the back unless the seats are thinner allowing better cabin space or moving the cabin space forward compared to the Altea that is slightly longer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.