Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the locking button is held down on the key fob the mirrors fold in - fine, but in the car settings there is an option to set the mirrors to fold on locking the car.

Should this happen as soon as the car is locked i.e without holding the button down, because mine don't :( . Anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
8 Posts
One quick touch on the fob - mirrors stay out, hold it and they fold. Same on touching the handle lock, light touch no folding, hold your finger for some time and the mirrors fold. If there wasn´t a hold-commando they would fold as you hit 15km when the safetylock kicks in. At least that´s the way it is om my Ateca. Merry X-mas!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same issue if I lock the car normally the wing mirrors don't move, if I lock by pressing the fob for 2 secs it works. If you look in the manual it states they should fold in when parked, I expect the to fold in by default who wouldn't want to have the fold in?,

Also noticed whilst lilooking in the manual for this issue that my ateca doesn't point the wing mirrors down whilst revere parking to see the kerb. It states this in the manual but can't find any way to switch this on :(

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
It clearly states in the manual that you have to hold the lock button down for more than 1 second to fold the mirrors, it does not default to fold. It also says that the mirror control must be in the R position for the mirrors to tip when in reverse.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
The first is true, it's in the manual and the car does it.

The second is true but not true. It's in the manual (true) but the car doesn't do it as shipped. There are threads on here that cover it and I'm hoping to enable it soon.

It seems that in non Audi VW cars this isn't enabled but can be enabled via the ODB2 interface although there is reported mixed success on the German Ateca board on getting the mirror to return back to exactly where it came from. Once it's enabled I think the manual, is going to be wrong it will be when the switch is set to L from my research. An Australian board said that if VW had fitted the correct type of tilting mirrors to both sides then you could tilt either using L or R. Someone had got the wrong mirror on the wrong. Appears not only Seat factories screw up assembly but also the main VW plant.

Once enabled via Vagcom codes you get an extra mirror option on the screen. I posted that up on the ODBELEVEN thread on technical.

There seem also to be murmurings on Golf 7s about getting the mirrors to fold in, in one click using Vagcom codes but I've not seen such talk about that on the Ateca yet. Personally I don't think it's a good idea since there are instances when you want the mirrors out, you only need to hang around for a second or two extra to complete the two stage operation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i just cant get mine to work ,its switched on as i've checked the display on the screen but they just wont fold in when i press the door lock button,
1.4 excellance

·
Registered
82 Posts
Tell said:
There seem also to be murmurings on Golf 7s about getting the mirrors to fold in, in one click using Vagcom codes but I've not seen such talk about that on the Ateca yet. Personally I don't think it's a good idea since there are instances when you want the mirrors out, you only need to hang around for a second or two extra to complete the two stage operation.
I've used VCDS to enable the mirrors to fold with a single click, which my Skoda did by default. I've never had a single instance where I've locked the vehicle and desired the mirrors to not fold in, so for me personally it was a no-brainer to enable it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
daesimps said:
Tell said:
I've used VCDS to enable the mirrors to fold with a single click, which my Skoda did by default. I've never had a single instance where I've locked the vehicle and desired the mirrors to not fold in, so for me personally it was a no-brainer to enable it.
I'm the same - I fold the mirrors every time I lock and leave the car. Same on the old Altea, to the point where I operate on the basis of Mirrors folded? -> Car Locked to check vehicle status from a distance... I'm getting old and forgetful and sometimes can't remember whether I've pressed the button or not... :?

Might have to look at OBDEleven etc. re enabling the single click.

·
Registered
82 Posts
PaulT00 said:
I'm the same - I fold the mirrors every time I lock and leave the car. Same on the old Altea, to the point where I operate on the basis of Mirrors folded? -> Car Locked to check vehicle status from a distance... I'm getting old and forgetful and sometimes can't remember whether I've pressed the button or not... :?

Might have to look at OBDEleven etc. re enabling the single click.
That's exactly how i visually confirm I've locked up

·
Registered
338 Posts
jamjack472 said:
i just cant get mine to work ,its switched on as i've checked the display on the screen but they just wont fold in when i press the door lock button,
1.4 excellance
Just to confirm.....you HOLD the lock button until the mirrors fold in, which usually happens within a couple of seconds. ;)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Leon said:
jamjack472 said:
1.4 excellance
Just to confirm.....you HOLD the lock button until the mirrors fold in, which usually happens within a couple of seconds. ;)
Or, you keep your finger on the lock sensor in the door handle for a few seconds to trigger the same behaviour.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
That is true Leon although some mod to make one click, lock and mirrors in. Good if you are the sole driver with an empty car as otherwise you arm it and lock someone in. I've left mine as the manufacturer's setting and use that mirror visual check as above. No sweat to hold either the lock button on the fob for an extra second or so or the Kessy part of the door handle.

G

·
Tell said:
That is true Leon although some mod to make one click, lock and mirrors in. Good if you are the sole driver with an empty car as otherwise you arm it and lock someone in. I've left mine as the manufacturer's setting and use that mirror visual check as above. No sweat to hold either the lock button on the fob for an extra second or so or the Kessy part of the door handle.
I didn't quite catch this. Are you referring to the "safe locking" funtion? That works with double press, you have to release the button and press again in order to disable safety lock (at least it has worked in all VW cars in the past). It's not any way connected to the mirror folding option, is it? Even if you press and hold to fold the mirrors, you are still locking other people in. You still have to press the button again to give them ability to open the doors from inside, don't you?

G

·
Tet70 said:
Tell said:
I didn't quite catch this. Are you referring to the "safe locking" funtion? That works with double press, you have to release the button and press again in order to disable safety lock (at least it has worked that way in all VW cars in the past). It's not any way connected to the mirror folding option, is it? Even if you press and hold to fold the mirrors, you are still locking other people in. You still have to press the button again to give them ability to open the doors from inside, don't you?

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Tet70 said:
Tet70 said:
Tell said:
I didn't quite catch this. Are you referring to the "safe locking" funtion? That works with double press, you have to release the button and press again in order to disable safety lock (at least it has worked that way in all VW cars in the past). It's not any way connected to the mirror folding option, is it? Even if you press and hold to fold the mirrors, you are still locking other people in. You still have to press the button again to give them ability to open the doors from inside, don't you?
The safe locking function works on the Ateca. Use that for pets, kids and ferries etc. Via the remote.

The issue I was talking about is some people modify the way the car locks with VCDS or Odbeleven making one lock press, mirrors in and arm the alarm. This will lock anyone in and the alarm will go if they move so it's something I don't think is too sensible if you drive around with other people and accidently lock the car throu force of habit. I did it with the partner in Ireland and they were not amused since they were literally locked in with the alarm going.

The safe lock option as fitted, tested that with movement, no alarm via movement inside but if the door is opened from the inside the alarm will go off. Kids if they decide to get out will set the alarm but they can open the door and aren't trapped.

Whether that one works after it's had the VCDS or Obdeleven mod pass on it. It's no great sweat to just hold the door handle for an extra second or so if Kessy or the button for lock on the remote to send the mirrors in. I tend to fold the mirrors in via the twiddly control inside when loading the car or unloading on a busy road so the mirrors don't get clipped whilst doing many journeys too and from the car, but normal use I fold the mirrors in via the long hold when locking.

I never use the fod as such with Kessy except for the safe lock or door Kessy hold, the rest via the twiddly knob to avoid busses etc clipping the mirror whilst loading and unloading, rest of the time which is the majority on the long Kessy door hold. It's the latter one that some people get impatient about then mod the car. Others manufacturer have mirror in on one lock press, rather than a long press, so they modify the way the car locking works to replicate it. The Kessy locking is standard VW on the Ateca.

G

·
Tell said:
The issue I was talking about is some people modify the way the car locks with VCDS or Odbeleven making one lock press, mirrors in and arm the alarm.
Ah, okay. I didn't realize you were talking about alarm, since nobody mentioned it before. The topic was about mirrors and locks, not alarm. :lol: We don't have much alarms fitted here in Finland, maybe that is a standard equipment in UK? I did not order one on mine, and since nobody was talking about it before you mentioned "arming", I missed the point.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Folding mirrors - I have a question!

Can anyone think of a reason for when exiting and locking your car, you wouldn't want the mirrors to fold away?

Begs the question what are SEAT (and several other manufacturers) thinking about - the default should be the mirrors fold on single lock. If, for whatever that reason is, on the very odd occasion you don't want the mirrors to fold - then double-press the lock.

I sometimes find it hard to work out car designers logic. :?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Tet70 said:
Ah, okay. I didn't realize you were talking about alarm, since nobody mentioned it before. The topic was about mirrors and locks, not alarm. :lol: We don't have much alarms fitted here in Finland, maybe that is a standard equipment in UK? I did not order one on mine, and since nobody was talking about it before you mentioned "arming", I missed the point.
I think it would be practically impossible to insure a new car against theft, in the UK, if it wasn't fitted with an alarm/immobiliser. I'd be willing to bet that virtually every new car sold in the UK these days is fitted with a factory installed alarm/immobiliser just on general principles.

G

·
PaulT00 said:
I think it would be practically impossible to insure a new car against theft, in the UK, if it wasn't fitted with an alarm/immobiliser. I'd be willing to bet that virtually every new car sold in the UK these days is fitted with a factory installed alarm/immobiliser just on general principles.
Well, alarm and immobilizer are two different things. Every car has had immo for the past 20 years in here also. But alarm, that's a whole different equipment, and not very popular in here. Insurance companies give some small discount if you have one, but it's really not a major issue for them. Common people, especially outside cities, don't usually have to worry about car thieves. Out local robbers tend to steal 80's Toyotas etc. which don't have immobilizers. Foreign leagues, on the other hand, steal only premium makes. :)

G

·
Tet70 said:
PaulT00 said:
Well, alarm and immobilizer are two different things. Every car has had immo for the past 20 years in here also. But alarm, that's a whole different equipment, and not very popular in here. Insurance companies give some small discount if you have one, but it's really not a major issue for them. Common people with their new cars, especially outside cities, don't usually have to worry about car thieves. Out local robbers tend to steal 80's Toyotas etc. which don't have immobilizers. Foreign leagues, on the other hand, steal only premium makes. :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts