Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Seat ateca, 2022, experience lux,1.5 petrol DSG, velvet red, panoramic roof,space saver spare wheel
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,, does anyone know, if you turn off the automatic emergency braking, does it need to be disabled every time you get in the car? Or what setting that remains active is most reliable for no nuisance braking. Friend had an Ibiza, my new ateca will have this, hers went off very randomly for no reasons and she hated the car, I don’t want that issue with mine

·
Registered
581 Posts
Hi. I had exactly the same issue with my Ateca. It's not just limited to Seat either. Other manufacturer forums show this as a common issue. I agree it can be very alarming especially with the ABS kicking in. It can't be switched off permanently but, as you mentioned, it can be desensitized in Settings. Mine is at the lowest setting (can't check what that's actually called because the car is in having extended warranty work today). Now mine only goes off a few times a year when it wasn't really necessary.

If it goes off it is actually for a reason. It may seem unnecessary and annoying to you but the car picks up on an object that it sees as a potential collision. Unfortunately this might be as stupid as greenery overhanging country lane embankments, or cars that have entered a slip road and when you go to overtake them the car thinks you are about to rear end them. In 5 years I've only had 1 or 2 cases where I couldn't, for the life of me, think what might have caused it.

Try desensitizing it before switching it off each time you get in the car. There have been a few case where it has stopped getting close to rear-ending a car and for that reason I am very grateful for it. Also, if it is switched off, and you have an accident, I'm not sure what your insurer would think of that.

Hopefully you will have happier and less stressful motoring from now on.

·
Registered
Seat ateca, 2022, experience lux,1.5 petrol DSG, velvet red, panoramic roof,space saver spare wheel
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi. I had exactly the same issue with my Ateca. It's not just limited to Seat either. Other manufacturer forums show this as a common issue. I agree it can be very alarming especially with the ABS kicking in. It can't be switched off permanently but, as you mentioned, it can be desensitized in Settings. Mine is at the lowest setting (can't check what that's actually called because the car is in having extended warranty work today). Now mine only goes off a few times a year when it wasn't really necessary.

If it goes off it is actually for a reason. It may seem unnecessary and annoying to you but the car picks up on an object that it sees as a potential collision. Unfortunately this might be as stupid as greenery overhanging country lane embankments, or cars that have entered a slip road and when you go to overtake them the car thinks you are about to rear end them. In 5 years I've only had 1 or 2 cases where I couldn't, for the life of me, think what might have caused it.

Try desensitizing it before switching it off each time you get in the car. There have been a few case where it has stopped getting close to rear-ending a car and for that reason I am very grateful for it. Also, if it is switched off, and you have an accident, I'm not sure what your insurer would think of that.

Hopefully you will have happier and less stressful motoring from now on.
Cheers, not got my ateca yet, currently between the Skoda factory and the uk somewhere, just thinking ahead, so are the settings and turning off a permanent setting, or would it have to be turned off every time I start the car if I have issues (hopefully not) with it?

·
Registered
300 Posts
You can’t turn it off. The best you can do is reduce the sensitivity to a minimum. That’s what I did as I have to park nose in to a hedge, and if I swung in a bit too quickly the brakes would slam on.

Reactions: Da van mbbb

·
Registered
3 Posts
In my wife's Ibiza it has kicked in unexpectedly (for no apparent reason) 2 or 3 times in three and a half years since having it from new. Luckily there's been no one behind on these occasions! It's also kicked in once or twice when it was actually helpful too (my foot being milliseconds behind it on the brake pedal!). It doesn't half make you jump though when it goes off though!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts