Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving to work this morning I got a warning explanation mark on small screen and a Front Assist: sensor impaired on the infotainment screen. I thought fair enough as far was soaking wet from rain last night. I've just come out to car and dried the front badge where I believe the sensor is located. Started her up and same error :cry: I know others have mentioned getting it in rainy conditions but then fine after turning off and on. Anyone else had this and any advice? Vw forum has mentioned similar and was only fixed when front badge and sensor replaced. :roll:

·
Registered
328 Posts
Yep I had exactly the same this morning. The thing is the car was cleaned yesterday so it can't be dirt impairing it. I stopped at a services and the roads were pretty dry when I got going again yet it came back on.

Back to dealers it will be.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I regularly get this error. It appears 2 or 3 times a week but usually only lasts for a minute or two then disappears. Here is this morning's display Speedometer Trip computer Car Odometer Tachometer
My Ateca loves to display warning errors (front assist, keyless access system, start-stop system) but I rarely find they affect the running of the car. It went back to the Dealership in November for further investigations and the rear parking sensor was replaced but the errors still continue. I'm sure they will come up with a fix soon but for now, I just think that she is quirky ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
David_S said:
Yep I had exactly the same this morning. The thing is the car was cleaned yesterday so it can't be dirt impairing it. I stopped at a services and the roads were pretty dry when I got going again yet it came back on.

Back to dealers it will be.
mmmm you cleaned it yesterday, I cleaned mine Sunday. I feel a theme coming on. I don't suppose you waxed as well did you? I'm wondering if during waxing some has got up between the badge and the sensor :eek: Looking down on the badge there is some weird bits at the bottom which may be some wax bleed :cry:

·
Registered
918 Posts
I've had the same, Kindness, but probably no more often than 3-4 occasions since getting the car end October. Each time it has been during heavy-ish rain, maybe with road salt/dirt mixed in. On 1 occasion I cleaned the badge, and next day was fine. On the other occasions it had cleared itself by the next day without any action from me.
Somebody did post up about issues with other vehicles requiring a new sensor and/or front badge, so perhaps some Atecas need this too?

It is odd, as the Polo SEL I have too also has front assist & ACC, but it never has a problem like this and is driven similar conditions; whilst it may well be a component issue, i theorised previously as to whether the location of the sensor could be a factor? In the Polo it is in the lower part of the bumper and is not covered by anything.

I've not yet considered it necessary for a visit to the dealer, but keep us posted on how you get on with it, please ! :D

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I've had it very occasionally but always sorted itself out quite quickly

·
Registered
918 Posts
Saggy said:
I've had it very occasionally but always sorted itself out quite quickly
Something new to talk about & contribute to.... ;) :D

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Panic over for now :mrgreen: Warning light was still on when I got in to come home from work, but as soon as started driving it went out and stayed off :lol:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Kindness - what on board system is the front assist connected to?
I've ordered an Excellence with park assist - would this have the problematic front assist sensor?

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Atecaamateur said:
Kindness - what on board system is the front assist connected to?
I've ordered an Excellence with park assist - would this have the problematic front assist sensor?
It's for the emergency braking if a pedestrian walks in front. Probably would be used for parking Assist as well as it's a radar.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Every single Ateca has this sensor.

·
Registered
918 Posts
David_S said:
Every single Ateca has this sensor.
Indeed it does, and is used for the front assist system, and ACC if fitted.

The general experience of folks with the issue is perhaps best described currently as "intermittent" and "self-resolving", although one or two appear to have had unwarranted emergency stops from the front assist, which is genuinely a safety concern, as opposed to an irritation! :D

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have had this twice. Both times in very heavy rain. It cleared within a few minutes.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Probably dries out.

Theory, somewhere between the sensor and the badge water gets in. Those pesky microwave don't pass through water too well so it stops working until it dries out. Probably a very low microwave transmitter is used and the receiver isn't getting the return signal which is probably the error.... but I'm sure some of us might have twigged that. It probably needs a long bounce back so if it's short or non existent it complains. Probably trying to look 50 metres or so in front or something and if it doesn't get the bounce back gives you that message. That microwave absorbing water or muck is doing it but I reckon it's behind the badge rather than in front once the badge appears dry and you still have the problem. Engine heat dries it off. That's all theory but expect that is what is happening.

(It's possibly in the technical manual or can be Googled the range)

·
Registered
45 Posts
The manual says that you should be careful not to use a power washer on the sensor - just in case the car washing over the weekend was implicated!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Excalibrates said:
The manual says that you should be careful not to use a power washer on the sensor - just in case the car washing over the weekend was implicated!
Used, buckets, hands & a lot of sweat. No pressure washer or hose :D Still think may have been responsible with either water or wax :roll:

·
Registered
918 Posts
Excalibrates said:
Reading the manual again and the description about the radar sensor and factors that may affect it, it's almost as though SEAT expect it to be a bit 'temperamental ', or maybe they're just covering their backside? I just don't understand why, as the Polo I have has never had any issue with sensor function in any weather, or after washing.

Clearly components vary across VAG models but the apparent sensitivity on the Ateca does baffle ! :D

·
Registered
328 Posts
It's not really on though is it. We can all make excuses for the car but ultimately this should not be happening on a car that is 2 weeks old that I've just paid near on £25k for. It will definitely be going back for Seat to look at.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Atecaamateur said:
Where is this pesky sensor located? Would someone have a pic please?
Its behind the SEAT logo on the grill. You cant actually see it :D

1 - 20 of 55 Posts