Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which diesel should I use, standard or one of these expensive "super" options?

Got my car today and so far it's brilliant. And everything works!!!

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Tricky subject this is. Shell and Esso claim you get more mpg that pays for itself with their supreme fuels. I know Vagg puts in only the best from memory. Telegraph's Honest John says don't skimp that's purely on the basis that you get your money back.

I use the Petrol Prices app and go for the cheapest which is often Sainsbury's but will put in BP if they are in a price war. I filled it up in Luxembourg on Shell and Esso's finest at .10 Euros above the normal price since they have the lowest fuel tax in Europe so treated it given that it was doing a lot of miles. Will be back to Sainsbury's soon. The first two fills were from an independent garage in the UK. There is also stuff about the DPF coming off worst with poor fuel. I trust Sainsbury's additives. It's the DPF that will knock a hole in your pocket if that fails, that's a few years away all being well. I should possibly read more on what was said about that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Standard branded fuel for 3 out of 4 fills then a 'super' for the 4th fill. I tend to avoid supermarket fuel on the advice from someone who had to fix the blocked injectors on my old Volvo which was usually filled with supermarket fuel. I haven't put supermarket fuel in the Ateca yet and will only do it if there isn't an alternative. I tend to let the fuel gauge get to just about 1/8 empty then fill it to the brim.

·
Registered
165 Posts
We fill up BP normal Diesel but every third fill up is BP Ultimate, car runs perfect and you know its good quality, we always seem to get more miles when its on the Ultimate so i would recommend that for sure. Theres a lot of internet reviews on Fuel, but when you pay so much for the car and its intial miles shape the way it is for its life its worth the extra few pennies!

·
Registered
581 Posts
I read once years back (feel free too correct this anyone, it's only what I read and might be BS), that all fuels basically come from the same 5 or 6 UK refineries and are the same thing nationwide, refineries don't produce twenty different grades of fuel for different customers it would be too costly, but It's the additives and cleaning agents added by/for the retailer that affect it..

Supermarkets tend to put more in, up to 5-10%, to dilute it and get more volume, so they can sell it cheaper as they have more volume.

Other garages like shell, BP etc, put less additives in, around 4-5%, and their premium fuels have less again like 1-2%, so they cost more but is less diluted so gives better mpg and performance...

Only thing that's ever swayed me, few years back went on family holiday to bottom of Cornwall.

Filled up at tesco before leaving, think was around £40 at the time. Just about got there, almost running on fumes at arrival.

Coming back, I filled up at shell as was only one around, cost few quid more, but got home with it just under 1/4 tank left.. Still had another 40-50 miles in it..
Got much better mpg from the shell..

Also my mate got a mega tuned 2.0 turbo, it's running nearly 400hp..
Got a computer in that adjusts boost etc, gives a load of power settings etc on screen, and he swears his setup tells him he gets more bhp when using stuff like shell optimax or wherever it's called that basic or budget fuels..

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Diesel car article... 2013

http://www.dieselcar.com/features/the-extra-mile-april/

They are luke warm on the premium brands being used all the time but suggest a mixture if it makes a difference.

This one doesn't know whether it's worth paying the extra 2014

http://www.oilem.com/premium-diesel-versus-standard-diesel-fuel-2/

Honest John likes it

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/keywords/?word=premium+fuel

Team BHP dont

https://www.team-bhp.com/tech-stuff/why-you-should-avoid-using-premium-diesel

The additives get burnt up in the DPF... worth noting.

But then 2009 Fifth Gear liked it

Petrol Prices of the app name have usefull stuff

https://www.petrolprices.com/blog/supermarket-fuel-and-premium-petrol-the-lowdown.html

In brief, our research throws up the following conclusions:

There's no scientific evidence to suggest that supermarket fuel is inferior to its brand-name equivalent.

There are some proven benefits to using more expensive "super" fuels, but these benefits are only really pronounced in sporty vehicles.

Third-party fuel additives don't seem to stand up to their bold claims when tested. However, some people state additives work well for them. You could try them for yourself to see if they make a difference, as they cost just £5 a bottle so may be worth trying - if only once!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.