Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I remember someone asking the question about are the rear indicators & reverse lights also LED on the full LED option. Think someone answered but according to the SSP 163 manual that Tell found as shown below they are definitely just halogen. Now according to the German Ateca forum https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&rurl=translate.google.co.uk&sl=de&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=https://www.ateca-forum.de/index.php/Thread/2311-LED-R%25C3%25BCckfahrlicht/%3FpageNo%3D1%26s%3D11727cec11584edaae41c08227b7776b3f613e35&usg=ALkJrhgH6VVXxZqTDVzE0IyHqdxSHDEc3A

these can easily be replaced by just swapping the bulbs with W16W bulbs. Just wondering if anyone had done this before in a previous SEAT or how easy it would be to do in the Ateca?

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Car Tire Automotive lighting

Attachments

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Will be interested in the replies Kindness.

I tried to check what spare bulbs I needed to get or transfer over from my old car before it I took delivery. Invited comments.... didn't get any. In the end I decided not to buy spare bulbs since I concluded they were all mostly LED apart from those back ones and the front fogs.

The bulbs behind the lifting tailgate are probably easy enough to get at if they are behind the panel that kept dropping off when it got knocked before I got the rubber mat. The ones in the side, I haven't investigated.

Reading the German thread, pages 4 and 5 the indicators they changed to LED started pulsating with the engine running. Bernard who is one of the ODBEleven guys plus one other both had them pulsating. Bernard changed them and they didn't report again, so it's not smooth. It could be the control unit isn't expecting LEDs and they introduce some power ripple that messes the circuit up or the bulb ?. It's where mechanics / electronic / computer engineers meet over these cars. Those pages 4 and 5 are still very current.

I would like to see more experience of people changing these bulbs for indicators. They had quite a bit of text on whether they were legal to be changed in Germany. W16W is the bulb fitting which the LEDS have been packaged in.

Its these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=w16w+led+canbus&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=165037778151&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14436603489821021196&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9044936&hvtargid=kwd-33821407867&ref=pd_sl_18ylg1ljiy_e

But if you strip off the LED from the Google you get the normal ones.

I suspect it might be a bit like putting a long life bulb into a circuit with a dimmer switch or security light and wondering why it flickers (some are designed to be interchangeable). I suspect changing the front fogs with the bulbs is fine but as indicators may be not ?. Think I'll give it a miss and let other people experiment.

That LED bulb is the same one as the front lower Fog which I think it was Bernard that changed that as well - in the pictures. I had noticed that the front fogs were not LED since I reverse on them out of drives and they are definitely warm in colour compared with the LEDs. Again I think some people might do their nut if you increased the brightness of the Fog lights. I suspect it's probably best to leave alone.

Have to get those German guys into taking their glove boxes out, they don't have the fuse box behind theirs but we do.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Just got home to find the latest copy of Auto Express on the mat. On page 86 is a small piece on filament style LED bulbs from Ring. It finishes with:
"The bulbs will replace any existing filament bulb, although if outside the car they are not legal for use on the road."
Not sure if the rules in other countries are different and it's a UK law, but it's probably a case of the law not keeping up with the technology.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.