Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there you fine gents

I have some questions concerning the full link/mirror link option for the ateca. In my country android auto is not officialy available, by installing the apk you can still use it though so I am concerning having full link activated.

The question though is how useful it is.
- When using full link, can you still use the normal infotainment system like the radio or are you "blocked" from it.
- Is there a big difference between full link and mirror link?
- Can you use voice commands for your full link experience?
- Has it been a worthwhile option for you?

One of the main reasons I want it is so that it can tell me where the flashers are on the road and to read texts out aloud.
Waze is the main app I would be wanting to use when it receives support, which according to rumors shouldn't be too much longer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes you can use Android Auto in other countries, just need to download .apk and install (at first time installation may fail).

"When using full link, can you still use the normal infotainment system like the radio or are you "blocked" from it."
Android Auto works find, didn't test mirror link (my phone don't support), with Android Auto I can switch between builtin navi and google maps, radio, media everything works.

"Is there a big difference between full link and mirror link?"
Yes, mirror link is a screen clone, full link (Android Auto) is a separate application, mirror link supports more applications like sygic.

"Can you use voice commands for your full link experience?"
Yes, but need to press button on screen, then I can use google search by voice typing (works better than builtin voice recognition).

"Has it been a worthwhile option for you?"
It is a "must have", sad that don't work via Bluetooth, and require USB connection.

for Waze you may need mirror link.
I need this mainly for navigation (traffic).

·
Registered
931 Posts
Dargas said:
'
Cue a Saggy response to that ! :lol:
Dargas said:
1 - When using full link, can you still use the normal infotainment system like the radio or are you "blocked" from it.
2 - Is there a big difference between full link and mirror link?
3 - Can you use voice commands for your full link experience?
4 - Has it been a worthwhile option for you?

One of the main reasons I want it is so that it can tell me where the flashers are on the road and to read texts out aloud.
'
Answers:
1 - Yes
2 - Full Link is just the group name for MirrorLink + Android Auto + Apple Car Play
3 - You can use SEAT's voice command without Full link (but it's limited and unlike FORDs latest system not very good at detecting speech) but with say Android Auto, you can use Google voice commands as you would do on your phone
4 - Not for me. Google Maps is better than built-in system but the functionality of Android Auto is still in it's infancy. I suspect Mirrorlink is better (haven't tried it) but there are only a handful of phones that are compatible.

On your last point - again depending on phone, the infotainment system will read out text messages, you don't need Full Link. And as for finding where the flashers are on the road... I'm sure Saggy would be interested to know that too :lol:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Dargas said:
- When using full link, can you still use the normal infotainment system like the radio or are you "blocked" from it.

I use android auto and everything works except playing music from the phone via Bluetooth. Doesn't matter as I use Spotify which is fully controllable via android auto and a much better experience than Bluetooth streaming

- Can you use voice commands for your full link experience?

Yes. A single tap of the voice control button on the steering wheel activates the SEAT voice control. However, press and hold it activates Google Voice recognition. You can say things like "navigate to premier Inn, Leeds", "text wife with message xxxx", "avoid toll road". The last one I only found out last week when trying to figure out how to avoid the M6 toll road and tried it out of curiosity.

- Has it been a worthwhile option for you?

Absolutely. I was fortunate enough to see it in action in my wife's Ibiza before purchase. I love that if I search, in the house, on Google maps for something on my phone it shows up in the history in android auto so I can choose it as a navigation point easily. I also use Spotify and the android auto integration is excellent, with a few exceptions. You are limited to browsing only 10 of your playlists "for safety reasons" and the voice recognition isn't there yet. However the touch screen control is fine so it didn't really matter.

- One of the main reasons I want it is so that it can tell me where the flashers are on the road and to read texts out aloud.

It will read text messages, WhatsApp etc and allow voice reply. You can also initiate them as well, not just reply. Say "send WhatsApp message to xxx", or "text xxx". Works brilliantly. You can pretty much say most things you'd say to Google Voice search on your phone.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Golfmk56 said:
Dargas said:
'
Cue a Saggy response to that ! :lol:

And as for finding where the flashers are on the road... I'm sure Saggy would be interested to know that too :lol:
golfmk56 you're like that annoying boy in the playground who pulls your pigtails and then runs off :?

·
Registered
283 Posts
If you have the latest Android Nougat e.g. Google pixel, you can give voice commands direct to google assistant without needing to press any buttons, e.g. Like navigate home, call mum etc. It just works seamlessly and well.

It is so much easier than fannyung around programming normal sat Nav that I have only used the Nav Plus in the car once, now I just rely upon google maps.

·
Registered
163 Posts
For me Android auto will be of use once the Waze is supported :) Spotify is not very well made - you are not able to search for music for example and no option to fast forward.

·
Registered
283 Posts
mike22 said:
For me Android auto will be of use once the Waze is supported :) Spotify is not very well made - you are not able to search for music for example and no option to fast forward.
I don't think this is true.

Spotify will allow you to slide where you are in a track and skip to the next. You could also use Google music either your own downloads or via subscription. Google maps are perfectly fine and better than the in car software. Overlaying Tom Tom speed cameras gives you voice warnings of all reported cameras and a useful verbal average speed calculation through average speed roadworks.

With a newer phone or upgraded android OS you get true hands free useful voice activation of all key functionality from google maps to search, music and phone calls all with a pretty neat interface and Sms message integration. The only thing that annoys me is that android auto will dictate what's app messages but not take them as dictation.

·
Registered
82 Posts
AndyE14 said:
The only thing that annoys me is that android auto will dictate what's app messages but not take them as dictation.
What do you mean by this? It reads my incoming WhatsApp message, lets me reply to them via voice and also let's me initiate a brand new message (i.e. not a reply), all via voice control.

·
Registered
283 Posts
daesimps said:
AndyE14 said:
The only thing that annoys me is that android auto will dictate what's app messages but not take them as dictation.
What do you mean by this? It reads my incoming WhatsApp message, lets me reply to them via voice and also let's me initiate a brand new message (i.e. not a reply), all via voice control.
It will read messages but when I try to reply it says chat app not installed or not working (when I do have what's app installed on my pixel), are you using android auto or car play?

·
Registered
82 Posts
AndyE14 said:
daesimps said:
AndyE14 said:
It will read messages but when I try to reply it says chat app not installed or not working (when I do have what's app installed on my pixel), are you using android auto or car play?
Android Auto. When an incoming message arrives and it reads it, it asks if I want to reply and I say yes. Alternatively I can initiate a new message with "send WhatsApp message to xxx" and it does its best Keith Lemon impression and asks "what's the message"

·
Registered
283 Posts
daesimps said:
AndyE14 said:
daesimps said:
Android Auto. When an incoming message arrives and it reads it, it asks if I want to reply and I say yes. Alternatively I can initiate a new message with "send WhatsApp message to xxx" and it does its best Keith Lemon impression and asks "what's the message"
That is weird, I try doing exactly the same thing and it gives me that error message. Can I ask what phone and OS you are using?

·
Registered
82 Posts
AndyE14 said:
That is weird, I try doing exactly the same thing and it gives me that error message. Can I ask what phone and OS you are using?
OnePlus 3 with Android 7.1.1. My wife has no issues either with her OnePlus 3t, in either my Ateca or her Ibiza.

·
Registered
283 Posts
We are on 7.1.2 and using Google Pixels which should be the purest form of Android, how bizarre!

·
Registered
283 Posts
It seems the What'sapp message reply functionality has been a persistent problem for Android users for over a year acros VAG and other manufacturers.

It isn't phone dependent it seems but it seems to be triggered by an odd cause.

If you have Google Hangouts (latest version) installed then you don't have a problem and the reply functionality for What'sapp works. If you'd out have Google hangouts installed or enabled then you get this error.

After enabling and updating Google hangouts I got the What'sapp reply to work exactly as it should, hopefully others will find this helpful.

·
Registered
163 Posts
AndyE14 said:
mike22 said:

Spotify will allow you to slide where you are in a track and skip to the next. You could also use Google music either your own downloads or via subscription. Google maps are perfectly fine and better than the in car software. Overlaying Tom Tom speed cameras gives you voice warnings of all reported cameras and a useful verbal average speed calculation through average speed roadworks.

With a newer phone or upgraded android OS you get true hands free useful voice activation of all key functionality from google maps to search, music and phone calls all with a pretty neat interface and Sms message integration. The only thing that annoys me is that android auto will dictate what's app messages but not take them as dictation.
You can skip to next song but you are not able to go back or forward in the actual song.

·
Registered
283 Posts
mike22 said:
AndyE14 said:
mike22 said:

You can skip to next song but you are not able to go back or forward in the actual song.
Actually you are right I assumed that you could move the elapsed time bar in a track like you can on tne phone itself but you can't. That is a little odd but I can't say it is functionality I really need.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts