Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So - trying to getmy head round something.

I have ordered the sE Tech but not this full link thing so what is it I am missing out on then? Had assumed I could use my phone in some clever way when driving? Does lack of full link mean this cannot
now be done?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Full link gives you access to certain apps on your phone and basically mirrors your phone onto the touch screen infotainment. It needs to be connected via cable to work. If you're using an iPhone then only certain apps are compatible but it's handy to hvae if you haven't got sat nav installed as you can then use the sat nav on your phone and open it on the screen. The car will also read out any messages you receive whilst driving and you can reply using Siri. Not sure what the limitations of only using the Bluetooth connection are, but will maybe give it a try today if I get time.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Full link is standard across the range. You connect your phone to the system via a USB port so you get data exchange and charging at the same time. An apple phone connects via Apple car play, an Android connects using Android Auto or MirrorLink, need Android 5.0 or later.
The system does not mirror your phone as such, each system has a selection of specific apps that it uses which are designed for use in the car with minimum distraction.
I only know about Android as such, android auto uses a free Google Maps app for sat nav, MirrorLink has Sygic for sat nav which costs about £70 for the full version.
I don't know about the other facilities such as phone calls and reading out texts as I don't have my car yet.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Android Auto is excellent the Apple version is rubbish because it forces use of Apple maps rather than the excellent Google maps. The whole Map/Spotify/What'sapp thing is so well integrated on Android Auto I have only used the built in Satnav once since collecting the car. The British voice of Google Maps is much less jarring than the somewhat stern Germanic voice of the inbuilt Satnav too.

Google assistant works so well with OK Google navigate me to xxx as an instruction which is reliably followed with excellent voice recognition (never had a failure yet).

I am so please I upgrade from iPhone to Google Pixel+

·
Registered
163 Posts
Android auto has quite a number of apps but for me most of them are useless. So far I like Google maps with live traffic, Spotify music. I hope that Waze is comming soon. Other apps are mostly podcasts. I can also see when I receive a message via Whatsapp and Facebook messenger but cannot view them. The solution would be to uninstall and install both apps again - at least that is what I googled.

G

·
Phosphoric said:
Full link is standard across the range.
In UK it may be, and I think 'missy' is from UK. But just to make a point, it's not standard in every market. Here in Finland, it's actually an option across the range.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Tet70 said:
Phosphoric said:
Full link is standard across the range.
In UK it may be, and I think 'missy' is from UK. But just to make a point, it's not standard in every market. Here in Finland, it's actually an option across the range.
Which is incredibly surprising given the country - you'd think mobile connectivity would just be a standard!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wales actually :)

They have just upgraded some areas and I can sometimes get one bar of 3G.. outside of course and if ai stay still and on one leg...

·
Registered
581 Posts
with google maps you can download areas of maps so it will still work offline when in bad or no signal areas!!
Although, I have just 'obtained' Sygic Car premium with Euro maps from the grey web, and currently giving that a spin!!
Looks good so far!!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Ghiggz said:
with google maps you can download areas of maps so it will still work offline when in bad or no signal areas!!
Although, I have just 'obtained' Sygic Car premium with Euro maps from the grey web, and currently giving that a spin!!
Looks good so far!!
I liked Sygic very much during the 7 day premium trial, almost enough to buy it :shock:

Had a look at "alternative sources" but comments seemed to be a bit flaky.
Be interested how you get on with your "evaluation" version. ;)

G

·
Ghiggz said:
Looks good so far!!
I tried Cygic evaluation version, when I had an Ateca on a test drive. For me, it (and the whole Mirror Link) appeared to be pretty useless, because you can't see the map when you are driving. Screen is blank when the car moves, you only get voice guidance. You have to stop to see the map. I also tried Android Auto, which I had to download from alternative source because it's not currently supported in Finland. That I could not get to work with my phone. I still ordered Full Link option for my car, because I have read that Android Auto is actually pretty good, and I can always update my phone to newer model which works with it. But I don't see much use for the Mirror Link.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Can anybody else confirm that you don't get the screen image when the car is on the move?
That would be useless. Might just as well throw my TomTom in to the cubby hole below the screen.

Still waiting for my car so can't confirm myself.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Get the screen image in what respect?

You get the screen image for google maps (and other simplified screen displays) with Android Auto and using the home button similar functionality to swiping the fingerprint pad on a Google pixel.

On iPhone you get a similar but clunkier display and are limited to Apple Maps.

In both cases full moving maps are displayed and voice guidance given.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Phosphoric said:
AndyE14 said:
Get the screen image in what respect?
As in Tet70's post above!
Haven't tried that, I see no reason when Google maps does everything I need. Unless you regularly travel in areas of bad data reception (which Google maps is pretty adept at dealing with), I can't see why you would need anything else.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Well the sygic map works on the screen when moving fine for me. Must have been a setting on your phone or something causing that.
It's ok. Some good features, but nothing worth forking out £70 for, when as already said, free google maps is much the same thing, just doesn't look quite as pretty!!!
I won't be buying it!!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Ghiggz said:
Well the sygic map works on the screen when moving fine for me. Must have been a setting on your phone or something causing that.
It's ok. Some good features, but nothing worth forking out £70 for, when as already said, free google maps is much the same thing, just doesn't look quite as pretty!!!
I won't be buying it!!
Probably why it's constantly on special offer now - I tried it and my impression was it's ok but nothing special to write home about.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I found the Sygic to react much faster than Google maps. Instruction to "turn left" was delivered much sooner than Google Maps. On Google maps, I sometimes don't get the instruction on which exit to take at a large roundabout until I'm actually on it!
Also, Sygic has speed limits and speed warning, Google does not. There is an add-on app for speed limits but it is very limited and slow.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Phosphoric said:
I found the Sygic to react much faster than Google maps. Instruction to "turn left" was delivered much sooner than Google Maps. On Google maps, I sometimes don't get the instruction on which exit to take at a large roundabout until I'm actually on it!
Also, Sygic has speed limits and speed warning, Google does not. There is an add-on app for speed limits but it is very limited and slow.
The car itself has speed limits displayed, and with a Google phone or other android, you can have a separately running speed camera warning which will give announcements e.g. Tom Tom Speed Warnings, It is just rather a shame that the In Car Nav doesn't do this, I have found the speed camera warnings the most useful feature of my GTR Nav.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts