Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a nice Seat customer service person put me on hold today for more than the usual (my build date daily 'harassment') .

He had asked a few questions to the build people and found out why my build date is sooooo long. My dealer had made a note on the order to them that I did not want car until May!! This causes some sort of 'hold' in the system and Seat do nothingn until May!!

So now I need to contact the dealers to trust them to sort the issue out as Seat cannot do it without dealer authorisation.

And still no Seat person in dealership answering phone .....

Fuming!!

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Ha. Did you tell them May. Possibly best not to specify criteria then collect when you wanted it in hindsight perhaps.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No - did not specify any date and assumed I would get it asap factory builds the damned thing - simple?

No idea why they put a date in. It seems they don't even know they have done this.

Still teying to get to speak to somebody there.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So contacted dealership who deny there was / is a hold.

So dealership says one thing and Seat another.

Jeez.....

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok - that confusion now sorted (ish!)...

Seems the May 'block' was not a block after all but a date the dealers had said they would want car by (this sort of still caused problems)

So now the REAl reason for the delay is they are doing new model changes.

And the really confusing bit? They are doing new model changes but there are no changes to the car!!??? What???

·
Registered
160 Posts
I think they are just making it up as they go along to be honest.

It doesn't make sense why your build is September and everyone else in the UK that ordered roughly at the same time are well before that.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Back to customer services then. I did wonder whether when said May they had generated that rather than you.

Still the good news is you can go large and look at the Kodiaq they came into the dealers last week. I will be testing that for passenger legroom later and checking to see whether that cheap bit of plastic is proudly exhibited in the boot to greet you each time you lift the back. The Xtrail hid the edge, Yeti shows it but not so visible as the Ateca. Those are my two beefs with the Ateca and third would be the missing door rear wheel arch. Passenger front foot space my biggest.

Back to the Seat ordering system, it has been known of transcription errors between the dealer / Seat system and the factory order system. Seems like you may have one or someone fiddled with the system to block the builds into September by marking up as customer doesn't want it till then.

I see the reply... model changes, hmmm. What you got to remember is that VAG isn't a customer orientated company although it may appear like that ;).

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Tell said:
Passenger front foot space my biggest.
Have you grown a lot since you ordered it, or did you not check it out before you bought it? :D :D

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Simple answer, buying it pre launch I checked the driving position in May. That was fine. Think I sat in the passenger side, but I may have not have done. It was a LHD, so I remember looking left to right at the glovebox and the Seat UK guy sat on the right on the passenger side. So I don't think I ever sat that side. Pretty sure. The driver side is fine.

Moral here if you are tall or have friends and family that are tall check out the passenger side of the Ateca for legroom. I think this issue will vanish with the larger SUV model. I'm off with the tape measure to the Kodiaq now. It is the raking that stops you getting your legs out. They rake and it's like a foot stool this rakes so much it's non existent.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Anyone in the passenger seat is getting a free ride. If they don't like it they can always get the bus. My other half is only about 5'6" but neither of us recognised a lack space on two test drives. Admittedly, I might think differently once I get the car. I may even notice the lack on front storage that I wasn't otherwise conscious of :roll:

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
At 5' 6" you wouldn't. Your criteria would make me walk when the co-driver is driving so won't be doing that. Add an extra 7" the problem exists.

The Kodiaq. The rake is the same so expect it's the safety cage, however bags of front passenger space the seats go back much further so you can get your legs right out. When they gave the legroom to the rear passengers and made the Ateca short, that's where the dimensions went. Couple of years time with the Seat equivalent to the Kodiaq the luxury is in that car for us tall people.

As for the piece of naked boot plastic I hate, they have covered it up with a moving cover. I've got pictures but the site is being awkward at the minute on pictures but I'll post them up when I can. So basically those Skoda factory workers left the cover off !. I don't think this is one of my misbuilds all Ateca don't have this cover. Irritating, so you aren't suppose to see the naked edge. The slot is identical. The car has not been finished off correctly in that area.

Legroom - lovely
Sleeve Comfort Jersey Sportswear Font

That nasty naked plastic edge gone, capped cover
Hood Grey Automotive design Automotive exterior Gadget

Look retractable cover... Doh... where is the Ateca's
Light Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle door Font

Attachments

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
That must be their Arona equivalent, it's the next size down to the Ateca in the VAG groups three car SUV lineup for VW, Seat and Skoda. Each brand will have three SUV models small, medium and large. This would be no good for towing a horsebox....

The Seat ones are Arona (Capture sized), Ateca (slightly smaller than the Tiguan) and the Bigger Seat like the VW Allspace and Kodiaq. The missing piece for the VW brand was the smaller Captur sized car. The Seat missing piece is the big brother to the Ateca which will be similar to the Kodiaq, that's after the Arona. The Skoda missing piece is the small Captur size car after the Yeti II appears.

A B-segment SUV to rival cars like the Renault Captur, Nissan Juke and Peugeot 2008 is almost a certainty.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-geneva-motor-show/volkswagen-t-roc-appear-2017-geneva-motor-show

Or perhaps a micro SUV or the article strays. I know for the US market they refresh the Tiguan annually. The above mentions the Atlas which is bigger than the Allspace, but that's for the US market. Will settle on the Arona equivalent.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Come on Tell that's just ridiculous, you must have the seat as far forward as it goes in that photo or your 7 foot tall. With so many things wrong with yours I'm starting to think you have got some kind of 1st generation prototype of the Ateca rather than a proper one. I checked mine earlier and with the seat put back and at 5 foot 11" I think mine has more room than any other car I've been in :roll:

White Light Comfort Vehicle Automotive design

Attachments

·
Registered
931 Posts
Kindness71 said:
Come on Tell that's just ridiculous, you must have the seat as far forward as it goes in that photo or your 7 foot tall. With so many things wrong with yours I'm starting to think you have got some kind of 1st generation prototype of the Ateca rather than a proper one. I checked mine earlier and with the seat put back and at 5 foot 11" I think mine has more room than any other car I've been in :roll:

legroom.JPG
Ditto. I'm 5 10" and I feel uneasy if the seat is too far back - there's absolutely loads of room up front.

Tell, if your particular Ateca has been designed to bias those in the rear, why don't you just spread your 7ft frame out in the rear? I'm sure the driver would appreciate it too :lol:

·
Registered
778 Posts
Back to being on-topic for a moment and missy... You're caught between Seat saying one thing and dealers saying another. One question for my inner cynic - didn't you say your original sales guy left the dealership? Was it 'under a cloud' as they say? Given the issues you've had trying to get hold of them there could be some unhappy staff there methinks.

I must admit I've been less than plussed by my sales rep promising to get back to me with updates the next week and never doing so. However whenever I have called they've always answered and responded so like my employer with its monstrous processes I just have to call a person and chase them, ignoring the promise of future responses.

No matter about that, however. The question is what exactly can you do about it?

First thing I would do is research alternative dealers - not for ordering, but for servicing! It sounds like you've been unfortunate in your choice of dealers and they really haven't got their act together at all so if (and it's only assuming that you wanted to) you are going to dealer servicing I'd be looking elsewhere.

Second, what are:

• The dealers going to do to identify the root cause given what Seat UK have told you?
  • The dealers going to do to remedy the root cause (i.e. remove any blockers)?
  • Seat going to do (if anything) to further remedy the root cause (i.e. confirm no further blockers/delays and give you a more realistic date)?

If you grumble loud enough you may be able to wangle free servicing or some such like Tell when they didn't build his car correctly. Not sure on that point though - sales contracts are sufficiently caveated to mean they don't have to do anything. You may get a good will gesture though - especially from Seat UK.

It's probably worth chronicling the cacophony of errors and delays and expressing your dismay in writing to head office, but if you do make sure you stress what you want done about it. A rant on its own will achieve very little.

Good luck and here's to hoping they eventually sort it out!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Golfmk56 said:
Kindness71 said:
Ditto. I'm 5 10" and I feel uneasy if the seat is too far back - there's absolutely loads of room up front.

Tell, if your particular Ateca has been designed to bias those in the rear, why don't you just spread your 7ft frame out in the rear? I'm sure the driver would appreciate it too :lol:
And going off topic a second too :cool:

I'm 6'4" so headroom and legroom are incredibly important. When I test out cars I make sure to test both front and back with seats adjusted for a 'me' size person in both front seats. On multiple days - measure twice, cut once as they say. I found absolutely no problems when I sat in the car on the driver's side, the passenger's side and in the rear seats. Certainly felt like a shed load more room than my flights to Singapore and Australia with 14-hour stints between airports, which Tell's photos look similar to.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
(We are talking front passenger seating here)

Kindness you don't look 6'1" in that picture. Trust me when you sit in the Kodiaq with the seats back you won't be able to touch the front if you are short.

I did consider measuring it but tricky. All I know is I can stretch my legs out which I can't in the Ateca. The Kodiaq similar to the Altea I reckon or perhaps more space, similar to the XTrail.

The Ateca problem is the rake on the well so you can't get your feet much beyond where the floor levels off. The Kodiaq is the same but the seats go back much further. It is true when I checked the back, the middle row of the back seats which are adjustable were touching the back seat of the passenger seat, so you wouldn't be getting anyone in the back on that side till the back seat was retracted. Illustrates the flexibility of the Kodiaq seating with front and rear seats having considerable travel.

There must be a website that gives these dimensions. Mark my words the Which report will say short on leg space. It never likes what I buy so it will find fault on it.

Try it out at your local Skoda dealer and see how they skimped on the boot cover exposing that thin plastic edge that's been irritating me since November. I knew it was wrong and not finished off correctly, that there must be a better way of doing it. Yes fit the cover that is designed to go there !.

The Kodiaq seat button if electric <---> is the one to press on the multi function switch to shift forwards and backwards. I jacked it up to maximum height.

They just goofed the way the space is used in the Ateca on the seating, deliberate or not. You could be charitable and say yes it's designed for the average short Spaniard or conclude that it was fixed for cheapness and the Ateca Plus is going to give you the flexibility that they never put in. I didn't mind the rear seats not being adjustable but I do mind my feet being crushed on the passenger side when I want to stretch them out and relax. It is the curse of tall people needing extra legroom. You don't need it whilst driving except to clear the steering wheel etc but you do need it to relax when being driven. Still it gives you something to aspire too.

(the problem with using the rear seats on holiday is it's full of stuff so that's a non rider)

·
Registered
979 Posts
Sorry Tell your just WRONG. As I said I am 5 foot 11" and yes my photo is in the passenger side with my legs stretched out fully no problem at all. With my knees bent there is almost a foot between my knees and the glove box. Etchings as he says is 6 foot 4" and has no problem whatsoever. Maybe your passenger seat has a problem and jams when trying to put it back?

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Etchings said:
I'm 6'4" so headroom and legroom are incredibly important. When I test out cars I make sure to test both front and back with seats adjusted for a 'me' size person in both front seats. On multiple days - measure twice, cut once as they say. I found absolutely no problems when I sat in the car on the driver's side, the passenger's side and in the rear seats. Certainly felt like a shed load more room than my flights to Singapore and Australia with 14-hour stints between airports, which Tell's photos look similar to.
I was waiting for a taller person but I guess when you get so tall you are use to compromises. No I didn't test the passenger side assuming it was going to be like my old Altea that it wouldn't have a rake which stops you getting your feet out. I did find the Ateca irritating when driving across Europe when in the co-drivers seat. It's bizarre that the Punto has more passenger foot room than the Ateca. On airlines I do get your feel out as much as possible. For the co-driver when a passenger it hasn't gone unnoticed that the glovebox is on top of them.

All of these problems could have been solved by putting more travel on the front seats which is basically what the Kodiaq has.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts