Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having read the posts on getting to the fuse box behind the glove box I was planning to have a go at hard wiring my Dash Cam this weekend.

Was wondering if anyone had identified an appropriate free fuse holder in the box to use for something like a Dash Cam? I used a spare 5A socket on my previous car?

Barry

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Think we might be waiting for Dunn Vag here.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm looking at the same thing as soon as I get my car.
There appear to be some spare fuse places depending on the spec of your car. Just got to sort out whether you want permanent live or ignition switched. My existing car is piggy backed off an ignition switched device, so if there aren't any actual spare spaces I'll do the same.

Meantime I'll have a look at the manual :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Have a look at page 95 & 96 in the manual. There are any amount of fuse locations that could be empty depending on your spec. Just a question of testing those locations to check that they are permanent live or switched depending on your requirements. I want switched for my Transcend Drivepro 200

·
Registered
46 Posts
Phosphoric said:
I'm looking at the same thing as soon as I get my car.
There appear to be some spare fuse places depending on the spec of your car. Just got to sort out whether you want permanent live or ignition switched. My existing car is piggy backed off an ignition switched device, so if there aren't any actual spare spaces I'll do the same.

Meantime I'll have a look at the manual :)
Please see document below for position of live and switched fuses. Check your manual to cross reference the fuses and their locations.

View attachment Doc 2.doc

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thanks metalsman, very useful :)

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Worth noting other similar lubbly jubbly is on Erwin as Metalsman pointed out, the full set of workshop manuals which costs a snip at £7-15 with Vat to download in an hour, plus your build and any recalls etc. Just need your VIN.

http://atecaforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=856

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Picked up the Ateca yesterday. This morning I fit my dash cam. It's in 2 parts, a very discrete camera and the main unit is separate. The main unit fits perfectly in the little cutout at the side of the dvd drive in the glove box. The glove box opens really easily to reveal the fuse box. Opening the passenger door allowed easy removal of the side trim to pass the wire through and run it up the A pillar.

I did the same as I've done in every VAG car I've owned and used a piggyback fuse off the one that runs the rear wiper. This is a switched live. I ran the cable that goes to the camera up the A pillar behind the trim and tucked it behind the front edge of the roof lining. The only inconvenience is the amount of black dot shading around the rear view mirror that houses the light and rain sensor and lane assist camera.

·
Registered
188 Posts
@daesimps - useful to know; which model of dash cam is that?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just to follow up on my original post.

A colleague of mine (also with an Ateca) posted this video on how to remove the glove compartment to access the fuse box (on a RHD car) that might help:

I had removed my dashcam from my previous car so already had a piggy back mini fuse holder so ended up using F37 (10A left LED headlight fuse for my car). This is a switched fuse.

Luckily there is a large screw just toward the bottom of the fuse box that is earthed, and I connected using a spade clip (it needs a T-30 Torx screw head to loosen)

Otherwise I ran the wires up the side trim and over the top of the windscreen to beside the rear view mirror.

All seems to work OK

Barry

·
Registered
82 Posts
@pault00. I seem to remember it being called an x1 when i bought it in 2014, but the about screen says glg600 guardian.

Edit: it was called a panarama X1 when I bought it as that was the prototype name. It was released as a Street Guardian SGZC12RC.

·
Registered
63 Posts
barryp said:
Just to follow up on my original post.
I'd also love to know what DashCam this is i'v been searching everywhere for a seperate unit to camera... but i cant find your original post :lol:

·
Registered
82 Posts
@Addycarra - I've given the details of my camera that's 2 parts below. I bought mine from pier28.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The one I used is: http://amzn.eu/2tNSpUA

Not the cheapest, but I wanted one that I could leave in the car and was not obvious (mine is hidden by the shading beside the mirror), had good quality video and could handle changing light conditions.

Barry

·
Registered
82 Posts
This is what my camera looks like. Very discrete. Fixture Asphalt Grey Road surface Floor

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts