Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, picking up our Ateca next week :D and are being offered GAP INSURANCE and Life Shine protection. Received email sayiny "Accidental spillages simply sit on the surface, whilst dust and sticky marks are easily removed.
Special care is taken by trained technicians to prepare your car to the highest standards to maintain appearance and give miles of pleasure and retain re-sale value.With LifeShine system you will receive a lifetime warranty and complimentary 15 piece care kit featuring a comprehensive selection of Autoglym car care products for you to use to maintain that showroom look| and offering 36 month GAP insurance for and all in price of £100 up front and 12 x £25 monthly payments.
Haven't bought a new car for best part of a decade and just wondered if anyone else bought either of these and if they are close to the right price ?
Cheers in advance.

Paul

·
Registered
89 Posts
3 year GAP insurance is available for around £150 online.

I've had five brand new cars and have never bought any of the extras (diamondbright etc). I've always assumed they were just a way for the dealer to earn more commission out of me.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi Paul,

You should check your insurance before buying gap insurance, lots of companies will replace your car with another of the same model if it written off in the first 12 months. So you can get gap insurance after the first year if required, on line it would be cheaper as well.

Lifeshine, expensive, but does give added protection. If you wanted you can buy the products online for around £50,and prep yourself, if just after the stain guard it is in a spray can and can be bought very cheaply online.

Hopefully that help a little.

Cheers..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers for the advice think I will be giving the dealers offer a swerve.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Bart666 said:
Hi Paul,

You should check your insurance before buying gap insurance, lots of companies will replace your car with another of the same model if it written off in the first 12 months. So you can get gap insurance after the first year if required, on line it would be cheaper as well
My insurance company offer this (Hastings) but you must be able to get a replacement car within 6 weeks. I believe that you need to purchase gap insurance within a short period after buying your car, but you can defer it to start after 12 months if your insurance company covers you for the 1st year.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Chatting to dealer today, he was trying to extole the virtues of buying gap insurance from them for only 350 quid. Thank god for this thread which pointed out that 3rd party insurers offer the same insurance for less than half price. Stealer then went on to rubbish these other insurance firms ("one man band over a shop", "will never pay out", blah blah) which totally lost him credibility as I work in insurance and know how heavily regulated this business is.

Fully agree, steer clear from Seat's insurance as it's overpriced.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Gap Insurance 123 I'd recommend; got GAP for my A3 and Polo for c.£150 each for back to invoice cover.
Drmac correct re ability to defer cover start for 12 months if your comp motor policy does a new for old replacement if written off in first year; you may know that if you work in insurance. Most if not all GAP providers will only allow a settlement to a proportion of value if you look to take out cover if the car is more than 12 months old. Hope this helps. :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ended up paying £189 for 4 years (was £130ish for 3) happy to pay that for peace of mind to be honest....by 1 year more and £160 cheaper than offered by dealership !
Once again thanks for the advice.

Paul

·
Registered
19 Posts
I wanted the Autoglym Life Shine, however Listers SEAT after selling it to me decided they didnt have the license so couldn't give me the guarantee after the procedure. I ended up begrudgingly taking their own version, a lesser product but I need something for the inside to help keep the dog hairs at bay.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Eshaness said:
Ended up paying £189 for 4 years (was £130ish for 3) happy to pay that for peace of mind to be honest....by 1 year more and £160 cheaper than offered by dealership !
Once again thanks for the advice.

Paul
who did you go with?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Eshaness said:
cheers buddy. i'll have a look in closer to my delivery date

·
Registered
18 Posts
Gap insurance was offered by my Seat dealer, as was a Shine policy.

I'll get something similar to Gap through the insurance broker I use for my car insurance, and much cheaper than the Seat policy.

However, I'm very likely to sign up for a Shine policy, as I have one on my current Audi. It's 3 years cover for scratches below the bonnet, and I've used it twice. It's not cheap, but the guy did a beautiful job each time, and you really could not see where the blemish had been.

With a brand new car I think its worth the expense for the first three years.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts