Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found an Aussie thread that confirms you can get the navigation system to put out an audio alert on speed cameras on the Discover Pro MIB2 navigation system which is the one fitted to the Ateca + How to do it. I had noted that on the German website on importing POIs there was a check mark for alert. Yes it's an audio alert which manifests itself as a Ding.

Useful thread for bookmarking ready for when you get the car. Naturally this makes reference to the Aussie database of POIs others are available for Europe. People's issues are discussed and solved. Which directory downloaded, where to put it etc.

If you are happy with a Ding rather than the fuller chat about safety cameras ahead and a Ding that you get from your smartphone or external sat navigation then this may be the way to go. In the previous VW systems they were not capable as I understand of giving an audio alert, that's why people uploaded the POIs and ran other apps as well for the audio equipment. Eg. Road angel.

http://www.vwgolf.net.au/showthread.php?27941-MIB-II-Custom-POI-s-Speed-Cameras-etc

Those useful Aussie chaps.

Whilst on the subject some people churp on about speed camera alerts being illegal in France. Yes and no. You can use danger area alerts which are legal which may or may not contain a speed camera. You find French danger spot databases that you supplement into the actual database of speed cameras for other EU countries. That's what I do with Copilot at the minute.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
PS I got my French danger zone areas from here at the time when they were dropped from speed camera databases. It is also has VW / Skoda files as well

http://carte-gps-gratuite.fr/radars-et-points-d-interet.html

Open to advise on what are the best camera poi databases, currently get mine free from Co-Pilot but I don't think I can find a way of importing them, I see some people use the paid subscription service to http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/ - I do note that the Co-Pilot ones that are free and updated quarterly or so still have road works on the M25 which have long gone.

Lastly, it was only with the recently updated MIB-II headend that has the ability to audio warn against POIs, the previous one didn't, then if you go back far enough some VW headends didn't accept POIs. It's the guys that don't get the bong or ding or graphics that use an app from Pocket GPS World that you run for the audio alerts but that's not needed with the headend in this Seat.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've used PocketGPSworld for many years. It's very up to date as people get free subscriptions for contributing new or updated cameras. Not just fixed but mobiles etc. which move around and set up new favourite spots once the old ones become well known. It's not costly and the updates are every week, that's where I downloaded to test the Skoda update portal. (I used a GPX file).

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Ernie, I will make that my choice. Having one of those get the car sooner than later days today.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well here we are five months on from my original post and it's using the Pocketgpsworld speed camera database and yes there are sound warnings least on the Navigation Plus but I'm sure it will work the same on the standard Navigation. You get a phaser sound.

I followed the link above from Primordial the Ozzie guy from the Ozzie Golf site since the unit is the same MIBII.

http://www.vwgolf.net.au/showthread.php?27941-MIB-II-Custom-POI-s-Speed-Cameras-etc

So you skip step 1 since you don't want the Australian speed camera database, go to

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Cameras

and that small annual fee is payable.

I selected the EU and UK GPX,

Note the PocketGPSWorld splits the UK for Europe

UK and Europe Database

Please note that the European database DOES NOT include UK cameras. This is because the UK database is in mph and the European database is in kmh. If you want both UK and Europe then you will need to download both versions.
That's

- other GPX on the drop down

- included the pMobiles

I picked

- EUR - Single File with All Cameras and accepted French and Swiss cameras, note the warning.

& Download.

Then need to pick the UK since they aren't in the EU one as noted above:

- UK - single file all cameras

& Download.

At this point you have four POI files and matching speed camera images for upload which covers the whole of Europe and the UK !.

Unzip and store.

Now goto Primordial's steps 2 - 10. Make sure you check all the boxes. In step 8 you must also copy over the meta file as well as the POI directory. The unit uses the meta file to determine what to do, no meta file and it won't import the data.

Step 4 you repeat for each of the three other speed camera databases hitting the bottom left hand button "Weitere....". Annaherungs is toggling sound alarm on.

You should end up with a screen like this before you finally hit (POI-Samlung...):

Then complete steps 5-10.

Step 11 is the Ateca step similar. Note on the screen in the car it has a button top left "Update", that's the one to hit. You read them in.

Then you are likely to be hit by the modest number of POIs you can use. Go into Map setting and Select POIs - you will probably need to toggle some off so you can get four more sets in if you want the whole of Europe.

With screen like these....

You go into Map settings, show POIs, select categories of POIs

Selected the speed camera POIs and deselect what you don't want giving you are screen like this:

Then you can simulate a drive where you know speed cameras are by putting the unit in Demo mode:

Select Advanced mode:

and Demo mode

It will ask you where in demo mode you want to start off from. That will be just before where you know speed cameras are, now start navigation in the normal method to a place that takes you through the speed camera(s). You should see the speed camera if all goes well as it approaches and a phaser noise just before.

You can turn demo mode back off else it enquires what sort of navigation you want if you leave it on.

Other speed camera sites are available. Thanks to Primordial's clear instructions on the German VW website and Ernie's suggestion to subscribe to PocketGPSWorld for the speed camera database.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used the French danger zones from their previously but have gone over to the payable site up on the thread since more up to date for cameras and it does included the actual French ones... best get ready to put media screen on quick if French police stop you.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Nothing to do with the on board nav or google maps/android auto, but just came across a TomTom speed cameras app in Google play store.

You just run it, turn on gps and you can minimise it to a little bubble on the screen, and it just sits there in the background monitoring your gps coordinates, and bleeps a warning when you approach any speed cameras on its database, which seems well up to date too, I tried it out earlier and it went off before every one I went past locally..

Will be handy for driving into strange parts of the country....
And although it doesn't integrate with android auto and show on the screen etc, you can leave it running and it still dings in the background.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
What is the situation with mobile radar traps in the UK? Do they publish their location or do you know where they might be located from other sources?

What sort of fines and points do you get for speeding?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Around here the local safety camera team publish the actual list of van locations on their website, but not obviously dates they will be at any of them, just a list of locations they will use that month..
I know most of them by now, and in the usual places I see the van all the time so know when to watch it..

Although for the past six years or so we have had trackers in the work van that report speeding back, so I've sort of become conditioned to sticking to the limit now anyway...

Generally its about 3 points and £100..

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Up north they use horse boxes to disguise. Park vans up over motorway flyovers to get motorists below, M1 Hemel Hempstead way. Dorset vans with range finder ones out the back window.

That database Ernie referenced which I loaded up splits into types so you can exclude the mobile locations. Those ones are self reported but validated by some process. I loaded them all up.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Tell said:
Up north they use horse boxes to disguise.
fact or fiction??

I'm middle of country and never seen one as a horse box ...................... or maybe just that well disguised :lol: :lol:

edited ~ googled and so they do !! so if I have seen one I didn't notice ~ loads of horse boxes round here lol !!

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, that was in the Telegraph a few years back. The Saturday motoring pages are good, they are a bit anti entrapment. Honest John was good enough to drop me a note of advise when I got done for speeding on the Essex camera income scheme. Sort of a PFI.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The British police have their regional thievedoms. I think the mid Wales guy has had his own comeuppance for dilly dalliance but I'd have to check but as I recall his purge on drivers by secretly turning on the variable speed cameras to snap people doing above 70 may have come to an end as his own worthiness was in question:).

The French police today didn't disguise their presence but I'd got the illegal POIs active so saw their site but obviously by then they would have had you.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thief-dom may serve as jumped up public servants demonstrating to each other how they have their finger on everything. Hmmm wondering whether that was the issue... serious Googling would be required but as I recall a load of skeletons fell out the cupboard.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks for these instructions - I have managed to upload static and fixed camera sites from the free lists at poiplaza.com.

I definitely ticked the option for the sound alert, but haven't yet experienced the noise despite going past a few sites. I have a normal Navigation option (not the Plus), is there anything extra I need to do to get the sound alerts, or is this only supported on the Plus?

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Did you do step 4

Step 4 you repeat for each of the three other speed camera databases hitting the bottom left hand button "Weitere....". Annaherungs is toggling sound alarm on.
Annaherung toggled on ?.

Might need to also check menus that you have the sound up as well. You can simulate rather than driving for testing.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Cheers...yep definitely did step 4, might not have discovered a magic option in the sound menus. Will retry the process...wanted to change the icons on the POI anyway!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.