Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been spending a lot of time researching the VCard import which varies between VW models across the range, Seat and Skoda. The Ateca 8" screen with the SSD storage (called HD by Seat UK) and DVD Drive is the Discover Pro. In German

http://www.volkswagen.de/de/navigation/discover-pro.html

Whilst Skoda offer their own individual look up for other versions I believe the best one is for the Discover Pro, the VCard syntax is different on the others:

http://www.volkswagen.de/de/navigation/discover-pro/adressnavigation.html

Edit: Two ways of doing this via VCards working on the address or via the GEO code decimal positions. If you don't have the full address then you do it via the GEO code and POI import, then store each POI as a destinations and that's your destinations done - goto page 3. However if you have the full address can use the VCard method and if that fails the POI method... read on :).

To generate a VCard for the Discover you use the site above and put in the address under

Interesse (Interest) and Ort (Place)

Example is Legure Hotel Munsbach Luxembourg under Interesse hitting Suche Starten

That gives you what it's found listed and on the map, you select the one you want and hit Speichern to Save and Weiter. This generates a VCard which can be opened in the Notepad:

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:3.0
N;CHARSET=UTF-8:Légère Hotel Luxembourg;;;;;
FN;CHARSET=UTF-8:Légère Hotel Luxembourg
ADR;CHARSET=UTF-8:;;Rue Gabriel Lippmann 11;Schuttrange;;5365;LUXEMBURG
GEO:49.64023999999999;6.270546999999965
END:VCARD

The actual name that will be used in the satnav once imported is the one placed on the FN line. The GEO line is the traditional satnav reference. The Begin, End and Version code are all required. There is then variation with Skoda / Seat / VW and other look up programmes on how much else is required plus other layout. Working on the basis this is VW's spec for the headend this is the file profile to use.

Thus if you get the urge to get your destinations ready this is the target file structure you need and multiple VCards are just listed down as I understand it. Finding an import program to take existing destinations and writing these out on mass as VCards isn't something that you find online. GPSBabel VCard export is really for supporting the iPod to show coordinates for mapping and it's VCard structure isn't inline with that shown above. From what I can see you have to get out your destination and X, Y coordinates from your existing system then do your own processing to generate this file structure. Better still give the task over to the partner once you have unlocked the materiel from your GPS.

It's Co-Pilot where I was struggling to find a suitable program to get out the destination data. Co-Pilot say themselves it is not possible, they import but don't allow you to export. There was other misguided stuff elsewhere where a non existent solution given, but I did stumble on a piece of text which said that the TRP trip planning file was readable. On Android the destination file isn't in ASCII. The solution is you work down the list of destinations and make a planned journey to as many as possible. Save the planned journey that gives you a planned trip around your destinations as a TRP file. This contains a readable file but it's still in Co-Pilot ASCII with decimal places shifted on the coordinates and lots of other stuff.

ITN Convertor then comes to your rescue (shareware free) it reads Co-Pilot TRP files to generate GPX files for exporting elsewhere. Pick a CSV as output and you get the destination and the X, Y cordinates written out for each of your destinations. Do this as many times as you require. I had a library of 144 destinations hence I wasn't stumbling to put them in by hand. I had to plan three trips around my destinations to get them all out.

You then take you destinations and manipulate into the file structure above and get the car as well :D. Navigation is one my interests. This solution may work with other Satnavs. ITN Convertor or GPSBabel may allow you to get out your destinations and traditional coordinates. If the partner doesn't sort out the final bit I will be forced to brush up my programming skills. Basically you have to post seven columns of information in a row going down as per that example above for each destination. My Légère Hotel will look like this, I fill the destination name into the two other fields:

N;CHARSET=UTF-8:LUXEMBOURG Legere Premium Hotel;;;;;
FN;CHARSET=UTF-8:LUXEMBOURG Legere Premium Hotel
ADR;CHARSET=UTF-8:;;LUXEMBOURG Legere Premium Hotel;;;;
GEO:49.6405;6.271

Coordinates as per I had them in Co-Pilot which uses the same underlying maps based on Here. So I'm note expecting the issue of where the car won't go since that road already existed on my mapping system using the same maps.

Something that VW / Skoda / Seat owners can do for me. When I had the satnav shown to me in the Ateca I asked about putting in the coordinates so he brought the screen up. The example on the screen was in this form N49 38.430 E6 16.260 (Legere Hotel again). I did read that on some of the VW systems you had to enter the coordinates in non standard non decimal mode (e.g. standard is decimal degrees, WGS84). Any of you readers got the navigation that takes in the normal decimal degree method or are they all difficult. I can't see that the Discover Pro would be so difficult.

When hiking I take out the X, Y coordinates from my general hiking / navigation app finding the trail head from OSM maps or Google Earth photo then transfer them to car navigation. Clearly if the car doesn't take the normal coordinates when away from home I won't be wanting to do a conversion job on the codes although there are apps. I would like to resolve this one. Something to try out when you sit in an Ateca. 49.6405, 6.271 as a destination.

·
Registered
118 Posts
@Tell,

This is the Skoda vCard generator link: http://mydestination.skoda-auto.com/

It does seem to say that you can import and convert the following formats:
supported formats:
.ASC (Tom Tom, Igo, Navigon)
.CSV (ROute66, Garmin, Navman)
.GPX (Garmin)
.KML/KMZ (Google Earth)

Not used it myself as I currently have a Columbus DAB/NAV (VW RN510) and this uses a different format.

Ernie

·
Registered
118 Posts
@Tell,

So I've had a quick play and have got a series of POI's in GPX format to produce a db3 file, plus a load of other files. It does show up on the 'mydestination' map as POI's. This is quite a large file, 14K plus, as it's a Speed Camera data base. Now I've no idea whether this will work as I'm not able to test it. The DAB/NAV system it's intended to work with does require vCard formats according to the manual.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's one of the ones I looked at. Nice user interface and English but doesn't support Co-pilot, none do which is why you have to do the convoluted process of using GPS utility to get the material out. People are also flawed with GPS lists as destinations since the VCARD is difficult to work with as a mass export format. The GPS coordinate list, I saw someone wanted Scottish nature reserves you could import as POI locations rather than destination. Maybe if they had one of the other sat navigation systems they could have imported them to that and then re-exported them. That's the problem with published POIS they are to be imported as POIS not destination unless you frig them about then you have the issue of making VCARDS.

The Skoda site delivers more gubbins on the VCARD and I'm not sure whether that is needed on the Discover headed till I tested it. The VW site has different format for each of their sat navigation models. So the one above is the Discover one. So on that basis the extra stuff isn't required.

Taking another hotel using the Skoda site we get

CATEGORIES:VIP
X-VIPCategory:private
ADR;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:;;Rue du Fort Niedergrünewald 4;Luxembourg;;2226;Luxembourg
X-NAVADDR:;;;;;;;;;
GEO:49.62108;6.14612
X-FLAG:
REV:20160527T085735z
FN;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:NOVOTEL Luxembourg Kirchberg
UID:BEGIN:VCARD
CATEGORIES:VIP
X-VIPCategory:private
ADR;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:;;Rue du Fort Niedergrünewald 4;Luxembourg;;2226;Luxembourg
X-NAVADDR:;;;;;;;;;
GEO:49.62108;6.14612
X-FLAG:
REV:20160527T085735z
FN;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:NOVOTEL Luxembourg Kirchberg
UID:AddresBookPersistentProvider3

That format appears a lot. There are at least two other VW / Skoda lookup sites. One done by a Spanish person another a Brit which have the more elaborate lines of the UID and VIP category. I'm sort of assuming this stuff isn't required since VW leave it off their own Discover headed. Might have said that already...

This Google throws up a platora of discussions on the VCARD import if you pick one of the extra commands in question

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=AddresBookPersistentProvider3&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&ei=NxNIV9-9IuqstgfP0aXYCA

So I decided I would go for the stripped down VCARD file format as per the VW site for the satnav and then once I get the car add any other commands if I need them so I can mass import my Co-Pilot destinations. Put it all to bed ready for go when I get the car.

The Skoda site is good to get at specific locations. I can quite see myself using the old Google Earth trick of getting the coordinates and then typing them in myself to a VCARD format when planning a holiday trip for upload. What bothers me is my last bit on the coordinate format entry into the unit for the days activity on holiday. You have breakfast, sip coffee and decide which hike you are doing to do today via a walking guide. Open up my digitised route GPX files on my walking / hiking general app, zoom to the start off the walk using one of a number of map sources I've downloaded (☺ can be done offline), read off the coordinates by dropping a Poi and they are in the general sat navigation decimal format. On the Ateca the screen I saw the template example wasn't.

Basically when away I get the coordinates of the destinations using the general navigation app I use rather than Google Earth, so that's my concern that I haven't got to translate those into a weird non decimal format that some people alluded to. Happy for anyone to try. I might visit a VW dealer with my coordinates to try out and check out the panoramic roof as well on the Toureg.☺ I can't believe (possibly can) that on the latest unit it won't take the normal decimal coordinates that are widely used. We will see.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The Skoda Amundsen Nav unit takes co-ordinates on the screen in the format, degrees, mins, secs, N etc. using on screen thumb wheels. I've downloaded the manual for that model but there seems to be no mention of formats other than vCard and using POI database using "mydestinations".
As you say you need the unit and then play.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ernie

That's what I've read so I'm not sure whether that input went over to the Discover Pro aka what is in the Ateca or whether it reads both formats, Google Earth does. Think I will invite myself to a VW dealer with an SD with some Flac on it since an undocumented feature of the Pro unit, Plus on the Seat is it plays Flac. Good since I've moved to storing music in Flac and don't want to create more copies.

Interested to hear how you get on with the POI database and speed cameras.

On the Discover unit you can get away I believe with just these lines

FN;CHARSET=UTF-8:LUXEMBOURG Legere Premium Hotel
GEO:49.6405;6.271

Which is the destination name and location and not storing the address which is optional. The export I used from Co-Pilot didn't copy them over in any case so I padded it out but not required I don't think.

Good news I sorted out the processing in Access. You auto number the table of destinations and coordinates. You construct an append query of the auto number and sub index for each
Field. That's five fields of interest. Then you put a non unique index on the auto number and sub index and waller your column of VCARD data for import. Will post a sample below in case anybody reading this needs to do the same process.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here you go three lines of input data for the demonstration:

Index Longitude Latitude Name
1 -2.99239 51.14624 BRIDGWATER Premier Inn
2 -6.67106 55.11973 Sainsburys COLERAINE
3 -5.81767 54.85036 Lidl Larne

First three lines of make query 1

Index Sub_Index Line1
1 1 BEGIN:VCARD
2 1 BEGIN:VCARD
3 1 BEGIN:VCARD

First three lines of append query 2

Index Sub_Index Line2
1 2 VERSION:3.0
2 2 VERSION:3.0
3 2 VERSION:3.0

Three lines of append query 3

Index Sub_Index Line4
1 4 FN;CHARSET=UTF-8:BRIDGWATER Premier Inn
2 4 FN;CHARSET=UTF-8:Sainsburys COLERAINE
3 4 FN;CHARSET=UTF-8:Lidl Larne

First three lines of append query 4

Index Sub_Index Line6
1 6 GEO:-2.99239;51.14624
2 6 GEO:-6.67106;55.11973
3 6 GEO:-5.81767;54.85036

First three lines of append query 5

Index Sub_Index Line7
1 7 END:VCARD
2 7 END:VCARD
3 7 END:VCARD

& the first lines of the output table written indexed on columns 1 & 2, column labed Line 1 is the one you copy out for upload

Index Sub_Index Line1
1 1 BEGIN:VCARD
1 2 VERSION:3.0
1 4 FN;CHARSET=UTF-8:BRIDGWATER Premier Inn
1 6 GEO:-2.99239;51.14624
1 7 END:VCARD
2 1 BEGIN:VCARD
2 2 VERSION:3.0
2 4 FN;CHARSET=UTF-8:Sainsburys COLERAINE
2 6 GEO:-6.67106;55.11973
2 7 END:VCARD
3 1 BEGIN:VCARD
3 2 VERSION:3.0
3 4 FN;CHARSET=UTF-8:Lidl Larne
3 6 GEO:-5.81767;54.85036
3 7 END:VCARD

Some access skills required but you can do it in any relational database.

So job done as they say - subject to testing.

TESTED FIVE MONTHS LATER WHEN I GOT THE CAR, NO IT DOESN'T WORK

- VCards just are for one place, you have to tender a number of them to import
- The Car's system will work on complete adressess not on just the cordinates - if you have these goto page 3

------

As a foot note I did check the VW output of the POI destinations for the RNS510 which is a lot similar to the Skoda output so basically the Skoda website produces dare I say the older format, whilst the Discover outputs the VCards I first showed. Thus they are different, it may be that the older headend VCards work fine, don't know until one has tried it.

So we are looking at these two sites:

Discover Pro http://www.volkswagen.de/de/navigation/discover-pro.html

RNS510 http://www.volkswagen.de/de/navigation/rns-510.html

Finally the Skoda

http://mydestination.skoda-auto.com/

The RNS 510 and Skoda output additional fields. My template is the Discover Pro.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ernieb said:
@Tell,

This is the Skoda vCard generator link: http://mydestination.skoda-auto.com/

It does seem to say that you can import and convert the following formats:
supported formats:
.ASC (Tom Tom, Igo, Navigon)
.CSV (ROute66, Garmin, Navman)
.GPX (Garmin)
.KML/KMZ (Google Earth)

Not used it myself as I currently have a Columbus DAB/NAV (VW RN510) and this uses a different format.

Ernie
That is POI import rather than destinations so your destinations if you managed to get them in from your other satnav would become points of interest on the map rather than a destination listing :) . I upload Lidl, Sainsbury, Tesco, Premier Inn etc into mine so I see the place coming into view but not my destinations. Plus speed camera, mine being my Co-Pilot app. I was getting in my favourites / destinations. It depends how many you have, I have 144 of them which is far too many to re-type again hence the quest for a method to upload when I get said car.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PS I see on this Skoda thread they seem to be creating POIs from their destinations rather than destinations. It also reveals that the latest Columbus MIB II is the Discover and tells you to use that link off the VW site as I was saying for the Ateca:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/246805-guide-to-vw-poi-collections-loader-site/

I suspect they did this since it was easier than VCards since this route isn't offered via an easy menu - that's my point. The use, if you get it to work to massage destinations in as POIs, will be to use a POI menu to find the nearest POI destination in a town or place whatever. Think it's a bit perverse myself. POIs are like passing things of interest not destinations although they could be, but then I suspect you can't add more via the car screen you have to start again. To me it's a work around, not really a proper solution. All your destinations imported as POIs must have the same icon so that's Granny in Northampton, Uncle in Bedford etc.... I don't think I've got that wrong. You have to roll your sleeves up to do it properly I feel. :).

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hmmm

Now I've got the car the Vcard files needs to be a separate file for each address. In the import it doesn't read the GEOCODE so my 146 destinations have turned into a proforma once imported that have to completed with the address. What the unit is doing is looking up each address. Postcode entry you have to make sure you enter all 7 or 8 characters in and don't stop short (you press City then Postcode bottom left). The cars system seems to be a lot more approximate using the address than the geocode. Geocode entry can be done but that isn't via the VCard import. Tell me if I'm wrong and somebody has managed to import the geocodes to destinations, not POIs.

You can't edit the profile once you have amended it, so you see that the location isn't right, you delete it and re-import the VCards to get that proforma back. So basically you sit with your device going through each of the VCards imported entering the address with or without postcode, check where it puts it, check Google, do another try at it etc, then go onto the next one. I used the Playstore app Map Coordinates by S & S Development that also gives you the DMS, street name and address. Some technical skill is required to create the VCards in the first place but it's a useful approach if you have many destinations that you are importing from another satnav system unless you start afresh and have some techie skills.

You can use those websites to generate VCard files (VCF) for addresses and import them yourself on an item by item basis in the warmth of your house. Those sites are:

http://www.volkswagen.de/de/navigation/discover-pro/adressnavigation.html

http://mydestination.skoda-auto.com/?appVIN=&appLanguage=en-GB

The latter in English. People use the latter on their Skoda's, the forma on Seat, but you can use either.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
The time you've spent researching this and typing this you could import 144 addresses ;)

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All those digits are tricky to type in. Now I'm faced with doing ten at a time in the cold.

I'm still looking at whether it ignores the geocode.

Edit.... hmmm no the unit doesn't read the Geo code line when importing the VCards it reads the ADR line (address) which is already parsed into a way that the navigation system reads. No address line it gives you the proforma screen for you to enter the missing bits.

So basically this site:

https://www.iit.comillas.edu/palacios/rns510.html

Doesn't work with it using just the coordinates. I had used that for working out the file format. That was for an RNS510 the latest unit which I assume applies to the standard and the plus just operates on the address. The VW and Skoda sites are fine since they know what the unit requires but if your data is a bit more shaggy exported from a satnav then the unit doesn't see all of the data and basically gives you a proforma to complete for the missing parts.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
:D

You are talking double Dutch to me

I have about 5 addresses saved in mine so I figure I'll just type 6 postcodes in my new one lol

And yes I'd like speed camera bleeps but I've not had them for the last 4 years so I think I can manage :)

Found the screen anybetter today?
Your brain dies soon learn to unsee it :)

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did try out voice recognition which I suspect you will use. Navigate to City, Street, Number. I'm sorry what did you say etc. It got there.

All the 146 places are destinations across Europe, places to stop off onroute, hotels, places to get the wine and shop. Walking location to start from I don't save unless it's an annual coastal walk or regular walks. If I get these destinations wrong when re-typing it's a bit embarrassing.

I will do the speed cameras tomorrow.... I don't think I'll bother with other POIs since it's got a lot built in.

On screen my brain is still trying to learn about my left hand floaters after I poked myself in the eye taking a shower three months ago plus the occasional flashes (think the occasional ones are fine but if it goes mad it's time for laser surgery to pin things back - optometric person told me that in case anybody thinks it's not been diagnosed). So the fibres in the windscreen are an addition to deal with. I think the heater did actually work tonight, I believe it's set to auto. Says Auto above it so you can forget about it. I did try out the rear windscreen heater as well. Boot under floor business think I'm now going to just radically cut back on what I carry.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Tell what did you used to carry? I'm not sure you have ever said. All I carry in the boot is the warning triangle, first aid kit & maybe a shovel and blanket in the winter months. They always warn you to reduce what you keep in car as all adds up to lower mpg :geek:

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I carry a lot of previous birthday and Xmas presents. The problem perhaps was the Altea's double boot was too big.

I carry spare oil, that's not going to go in, it's a little plastic containers that I got from a VW dealer in Germany for a top up with the Altea. I'm in the process of checking the oil in that which I subsequently filled, a Mobil one, is compatible, I think it might be, got to read the bottle. Anyhow the guy gave me a Velcro sticky bag so I'll put that into use since the bottle is too high.

Electric pump, that won't fit. Assorted screen wash. Spider wrench plus an extended wrench but I'm happy to call for assistance. First aid kits, row ropes, about four lights, rubber gloves, tool set, spare bulbs, I won't bother with them now. Did use to change these with the Altea in Europe on travels when a bulb goes. Think looking at the manual for the LED car not really required that the non LED bulbs will blow and aren't places you can get at.

Tow rope. Extinguisher, tyre inflater, jump leads, vacuum cleaner, Amazon card package for kneeling on (tip). The triangle. Two blankets. (putting one on the leather rear seats now). The alcohol test for France and the yellow reflective vests. I now got the vests in the body of the car, one vest you can get in the small open area in the glove box - re Thomas' video.

All of that went in the underfloor area. Have decided not to remove the form that you get with the spare wheel lease on the 4Drive. Think the top level uses the lower level to put weight on it. So best to keep it in.

Then the chiller box, another Velcro stick on Aldi boot tidy plus washer top up, windscreen cleaner, a scraper to remove dry bird lime (tip) it bounces off with some water.

I'm sitting with it round my feet in the lounge, but I'm taking it back out and testing what will fit.

Oh yes the Altea also had a shelf in the lower half of the parcel shelf plus two under seat storage compartments not one.

·
Registered
979 Posts
:eek: :shock: wow. I have a garage for most of that. Guess you must go on loooooong trips with no garages or shops around. :shock:

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Do one three week road trip into Europe each year getting to the east, this year went to Ireland due to immigrants on the borders, then a annual trip to Germany in December, so being able to do somethings whilst away is useful. I've had to top up oil a few times before the return home. Had a bulge in the tyre in Luxembourg which is why I say a spare is useful.

Haven't got that shovel yet.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I fit all that stuff in a handbag Tell

As well as a kitchen sink ;)

Seriously though - were you a Boy Scout ? :eek:

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No never.... too independent. The Koreans on the flight to Japan reassemble their meals boxes perfectly putting stuff in it that was never in it. I just handed mine back in a mess on two flights. On the third flight I thought I'm not going to be out done (I have my coffee half black with powered milk). Crammed it all back in the box handed it over from the windows seat, the box looked good, but no the Korean or Japanese in his business suite got plastered with powered milk causing a little incident and patting by the hostels with dam tissues. Water and powered milk don't go together... I'm sure it was a nice suite.

I have the boot packed now and just got to have a sort out of what I decided I can't get in and what can be kept. Got the VW velcros free oil holder in use and the Aldi's car tidy. The boot does go back along way compared to my old Altea and the chiller box I can open and pull bags out without the need to slide it forward given that the 4WD with spare has a lip, lip isn't that bad.

There are two areas either side of boot where you can put screen wash, sprays etc. The electric pump that wouldn't fit underneath when in one of them. Loosing the passenger box means you can get stuff under that seat like my other blanket that wouldn't go underneath with the spare wheel.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.