Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I've been reading this forum for a few weeks now as I ponder my options and have been impressed so far! Impressed enough to actually join up as a member!

My situation is that I'm driving a 5dr Golf GTI (mk6, DSG) which I love, but even though it's practical, the arrival of our baby girl has given us too many headaches with trying to squeeze in the car seat, pram and luggage on trips away. Even with only 2 adults and a baby, the front passenger seat had to be employed for carrying luggage which I hate.

The good news is that this means I've been able to convince the better half that we need a new more practical car.

Our criteria is quite tricky though as my wife is on an auto only licence and doesn't want to drive anything "too much bigger" than the golf. Choices we looked at were:

- MINI Countryman - not that much more spacious than the golf and huge bonnet bulge was not popular
- Peugeot 3008 - feels waaaay too big from the outside, not as good looking in real life compared to the magazines/ youtube vids surprisingly
- BMW X1 - lovely, didn't feel too big, but very expensive
- Toyota CH-R - surprisingly cheap feeling and tacky, not very spacious
- Toyota RAV4 - very cheap feeling
- Skoda Yeti - a bit long in the tooth and about to be replaced
- Audi Q2 - wife doesn't like the looks, not that spacious
- Audi Q3 - too pricey and not that attractive

which leaves that Ateca as the best of all worlds!!

well.... so far the missus is happy having had a nosy in the showroom, but tomorrow we go for a test drive which will be the key test of whether she's happy driving it or not, fingers crossed!!!

Registered
kee said:

well.... so far the missus is happy having had a nosy in the showroom, but tomorrow we go for a test drive which will be the key test of whether she's happy driving it or not, fingers crossed!!!
I had the same problem I loved the car but again it had to be right for the both of us.

I did not put any pressure on the wife as that would be unreasonable and unfair all I said was you must be totally honest as it's a huge financial commitment and if it's not right you have to tell me so I could start to look for an alternative wife 馃槅馃槅馃槅馃槅馃槅馃槅馃槅馃槅馃槅馃槅.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hahahahaha

Registered
kee said:
Hi all

I've been reading this forum for a few weeks now as I ponder my options and have been impressed so far! Impressed enough to actually join up as a member!

My situation is that I'm driving a 5dr Golf GTI (mk6, DSG) which I love, but even though it's practical, the arrival of our baby girl has given us too many headaches with trying to squeeze in the car seat, pram and luggage on trips away. Even with only 2 adults and a baby, the front passenger seat had to be employed for carrying luggage which I hate.

The good news is that this means I've been able to convince the better half that we need a new more practical car.

Our criteria is quite tricky though as my wife is on an auto only licence and doesn't want to drive anything "too much bigger" than the golf. Choices we looked at were:

- MINI Countryman - not that much more spacious than the golf and huge bonnet bulge was not popular
- Peugeot 3008 - feels waaaay too big from the outside, not as good looking in real life compared to the magazines/ youtube vids surprisingly
- BMW X1 - lovely, didn't feel too big, but very expensive
- Toyota CH-R - surprisingly cheap feeling and tacky, not very spacious
- Toyota RAV4 - very cheap feeling
- Skoda Yeti - a bit long in the tooth and about to be replaced
- Audi Q2 - wife doesn't like the looks, not that spacious
- Audi Q3 - too pricey and not that attractive

I'm in a similar situation to you, were very happy with our Leon Fr, but then the kids came along.

Haven't had much of a problem in terms of space in the Leon, it is a family car after all and has a spacious boot, no problem getting our double pram and a case or two in the back (with the parcel shelf removed), but theres no doubt the larger boot in the Ateca will make life easier as we won't need to play luggage tetris as often.

Only driven the Ateca twice before ordering but I didn't notice a huge difference between the Ateca and the Leon Fr (both 1.4 tsi cars), which is heavily based on the Golf anyway, so It's easily the best SUV to get if you are afraid of loosing anything on the performance side. If you are after something really sporty and have the funds then you might want to wait for the cupra version due out later in the year? But from what I have seen most reviewers seem unanimous that the Ateca offers the best balance between practicality and sportiness in the SUV class :)

Banned
I could list the three niggles I have with the car but might annoy alot of people ;).

It is a pleasure to drive albeit in the guise I've got, haven't driven the others.

The three niggles

A. Shared door / rear wheel arch where the dirt comes in. That ones thought an issue by a number of people but probably fine since for PCPers one suspect will be onto their next before any corrosion kicks in if it does. Alot of cars have this rear door arrangement to produce a wider door for entry. Uncertainty over how it's going to wear long term.

B. Use of cheap plastic in the side panels and boot. Boot catch doesn't have a flap to hide the thin plastic like the Kodiaq. Cheap plastic you'd fine in my other cars but that missing flap is like an arrow pointing to the flimsy nature of the material. So the designers by leaving off the flap just drew my attention to the material which I then tracked back into the panels. Kodiaq is the same but don't invite you to look by the use of the flap. Still I suspect it's recycle able plastic.

C. Front passenger legroom. If use to a bigger car or one designed differently where you can stretch your legs out and tall, you can't in the Ateca. It's the bus drivers position for driver and passenger. Fine if driving but irritating if the passenger and over six foot and use to such foot luxury. If not use to the creature comforts of snoozing with your legs out as a pasenger and not above six foot not an issue.

In the three car SUV line up that the VAG group has, what we aren't seeing without looking at the Kodiaq is what Seat left off the Ateca to make you buy the bigger version in the Seat 5 seater form or 5/7 like the Kodiaq, that's going to be flexibility in the seating, storage, luggage etc. Will be interesting to see the Yeti II whether they do an Ateca and reduce the seating flexibility and storage, chum out the front space by giving masses of space for adults in the back. If the Yeti II has greater flexibility than the Ateca and the price is the same their will be obvious questions but I guess the same design philosophy will be in the Yeti II which is why the Kodiaq if dressed as an Ateca Plus feels a bit attractive. It will be easy for Skoda to put in a less flexible Yeti replacement since they already have the Kodiaq. That celebrated Ateca Plus / Allspace or whatever it will be called isn't going to be launched till 2019.

Registered
Jeez Tell your allowed back 4 or 5 hours ago after a week long ban and your starting already mentioning these in a post that has nothing to do with the subject :roll:

To address your so called three niggles

A. Yes some people think it may be an issue over time possibly, but also seen on a number of other cars that you previously pointed out. And no need to mention those "PCPers" again. :x

B. Your the only one who has mentioned this, nobody else. You only noticed it after leaving the fridge in the boot without a mat to knock around and smash off a piece of the plastic, so started closely inspecting the plastics.

C. Again your the ONLY one who thinks this. We have 6'4" people saying loads of room as per this other post with the poll in it.

http://www.atecaforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1144

Banned
Kindness

Well I've blocked all the adverse posters so they can be as rude as they like in bullying people without being called out which was what that was about and destroying threads which had useful sales Ateca figures on and one poster leaving.

A. Sub prime cars alot of recent news on that

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=subprime+cars&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&ei=BF37WN25H6rS8AeMsJ3gBw

Whether the finance companies / manufacturers are stress tested on that. I'm quite happy for the consumer boom to continue as long as it doesn't crash out.

B. I noticed from day one on the Ateca. The nice Kodiaq cover that hides the nasty plastic edge kind of missing that out is a bit remiss

Hood Grey Automotive design Automotive exterior Gadget

C. Been on tall websites. People don't understand that's evident. If you got 6'4" legs you are probably use to having them cramped. At 6'1" not ! unless you are sitting in the Ateca as a passenger coming from a car where you can get your legs out. Co driver at 5'10" notices it but says if you sit sidewise you are OK. Yes if 3" shorter sitting sidewise.

Dear Honest John was asked a question last weekend on the 3008 as a guys wife had problems with that seat, so his answer was speak to your dealer then put the person in touch with a disabled car fitting company. Concluded after some Google's they probably wouldn't help. However after some research I got a part coming from the States that hopefully will do the job give me another 3" although 2" would be good. Much searching on a Russian language parts catalogue since VW had the English one blocked since it broke copyright. Part number could then verify whether the American company's device for VW would fit. It seems it will. Exchange of photos. To remove the seat you need M10 SPLINE BIT 12 Point Socket 10mm Hex Drive. ;). Got that it fits. Next the parts. Other than that I got 10lbs of American reinforced steel coming my way.

If it's fine I'll give the details might help other people. Reasoned an investment of just over 拢300 was cheaper than waiting two years to upgrade to the Ateca Plus to get my passenger legroom back. Hopefully a cost effective solution to the issue.

Attachments

Registered
Tell said:
If it's fine I'll give the details might help other people. Reasoned an investment of just over 拢300 was cheaper than waiting two years to upgrade to the Ateca Plus to get my passenger legroom back. Hopefully a cost effective solution to the issue.
Or why don't you just lower the seat from its highest position as I've previously mentioned to move it back 4" then use one of these to give you your height back and maintaing the extra leg room, and save 拢285

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01495RGLW/ref=mp_s_a_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1492879398&sr=8-14&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=car+booster+cushion

Registered
De ja vu

Registered
It's back... and on about boot plastic and leg room already... i'm biting my tongue!!! Or should that be fingers???
I'm wound up already!!! And was just thinking what a nice week it's been on this forum this past week!!

Registered
You could try biting your toes, but they will be stuck up under the glove box due to the lack of leg room.

Don't worry, we will be back to the leather seats soon. At least that is a bit more relevant than leeches or milk. :D :D

Registered
Kindness71 said:
Jeez Tell your allowed back 4 or 5 hours ago after a week long ban and your starting already mentioning these in a post that has nothing to do with the subject :roll:
Like talking to a brick wall, Kindness 馃憡 馃憡馃

Registered
Tell said:
Kindness

Well I've blocked all the adverse posters so they can be as rude as they like in bullying people without being called out which was what that was about and destroying threads which had useful sales Ateca figures on and one poster leaving.
That'll include me, then ! Apparently I'm still a bully, as is probably Leon? Possibly Ghiggz too, as we all had our say. Total bullshit from this guy, still :roll: :roll:

Registered
Fred99 said:
You could try biting your toes, but they will be stuck up under the glove box due to the lack of leg room.

Don't worry, we will be back to the leather seats soon. At least that is a bit more relevant than leeches or milk. :D :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Still cracking me up, Fred !

Registered
Tell said:
B. I noticed from day one on the Ateca. The nice Kodiaq cover that hides the nasty plastic edge kind of missing that out is a bit remiss

Screenshot_20170410-181308.png
Having owned one (or two) Skoda's they miss out parts to save the 拢's, but they see now to be good out at missing parts/features you don't see! SEAT I feel got the balance right, cut some parts to save the 拢's. Guess you should have bought a high spec VW Tiguan.... Or if this bothers you I guess would not be too much of a job fit the plastic cover from a Skoda? if you can get the part number or a trip to breakers yard. The gap looks the same size as my Octavia

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ahem.... ruining my intro thread...!

haha, not to worry, nice to get familiar with the characters here on this forum ;)

Thanks tell for your points, from my pov:

a) I live in the city and unlikely to go anywhere near a muddy path, so generally I feel ok about the "design flaw". I did point it out to a dealer who knew nothing about this, though he did say Seat does a 12 year anti-corrosion warranty. I also wash my car about once every 2 months and even then I go to the 拢6 quid a go car wash outfits, so I'm probably not the most fussed about some extra dirt in the arch.

b) I agree there are some cheap plastics in the Ateca, but then again we're at a price point where this is to be expected. Generally, the feel of the car is fine for a practical SUV with a little sex appeal... I'm not looking for a supermodel, the girl next door with love handles suits me fine ;)

c) On my short test drive today, all seemed fine from the front passenger seat. I should mention that I'm Chinese, my wife is Chinese and hence none of our family/ occupants are likely to get anywhere near 6 ft!

If a "better" Seat comes out in 2019, then great, my 3 year PCP will work out nicely

Uggzy - I hear what you say about a sporty version, however I'm itching to change car now, well as near to now as possible given wait times! The FR sounds nice, but to be honest, I drive like a snail these days cos:

- I've turned 40
- I have a baby on board
- My wife hates me speeding
- Insurance costs are stupid
- Speeding fines are now linked to income

A 1.4 litre auto is fine thanks ;)

Registered
Well, welcome to the forum kee - like many have chimed in, the Ateca is the best blend of size, handling and practicality. Oh and price. And looks. And... Did I say I wasn't biased at all...?

You've got to make the decision that's right for you of course, most important is get the wife to test drive too. Colleague of mine at work was itching to get a new SUV and loved the Ateca and loved the test drive. His wife on the other hand thought the ride a little firm so he sadly put the Ateca dream to bed and got a good deal on a nearly-new Renault Kadjar. He still thinks the Ateca handles better but he's very very happy with the Renault as is the wife.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cheers Etchings. Yes totally agree the wife needs to be happy, after all she's the one you're gonna stick with for life!

Anyhow, she tested it and was generally a bit nervous. She's only been driving about a year (very late starter) so was nervous anyway, then the stealer decides to have a bit of a laugh and scare her into thinking she was too close to the parked cars! Didn't go down well, but it did break her tension a bit. Hearing that there was a 拢1k damage excess didn't help either! Was the guy trying to sell us the car or what?!

When we got back thought, she understood that the Ateca was the car we needed as a family and that she'd just have to get used to its size. When it arrives we plan to find some quiet car parks to practice further!

Registered
Hi kee

I'm playing catch up as away at min

I'm not sure if you've got park assist or not but it would helps your wife's confidence greatly if you do

Not so it parks for you but because the 4 corner sensors really do make you happier in tight spaces :)

As for size - doesn't feel any bigger than a golf to drive to me :)

Banned
Kee, I'm sure the Ateca will do fine for you. I was measuring my knees to front glove box today. 1" so get bemused by the tall people club who say it's fine. Think they drop the seats into saloon mode so don't adopt the SUV driving position since they can't get their legs in or not use to it, the SUV / MPV seating position.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts