Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

So I have been looking for a new vehicle that manages to tick enough of the requirements that I now expect from a good, modern up to date vehicle and so the Ateca is on order and will be here soon.

Went for the DSG with 4 wheel drive and added on the extras as shown in my signature. Must say the dealer (Morrisons in Stirling) is doing rather well with the interest in the Ateca - between us being in one day to look over it, then arranging the test drive, and back 2 days later placing the order, the showroom model was sold!

Our order was placed on 8th January with the dealer and when asked about progress (I was handing in a reg document yesterday), information they have is that it is due for build in week 7. So they expect it to be ready for hand over during week 11, which is just perfect as current car is due to go off lease that week also. Far cry from the last one that took around 14 weeks to go into build and another 5 weeks (nearly 6) to get to dealers and delivered to us. And this made in Britain as well....

So I am really looking forward to the new car and after reading up on a few of the topics and posts here already, it seems like a very good choice. And so does joining the forum.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
P.s. I'm Mike - forgot to add on the bottom of the 1st post....

·
Registered
918 Posts
Welcome along to the forum, Mike !

An inspired decision on the Ateca - as well as the spec !

Am guessing the last car might have been a Vauxhall or Nissan?? :lol:

I work in Stirling, and drive past the showroom every day - oh and Morrisons is a great, family-run dealership and is where ours will go for servicing etc.

The guys in parts are really nice and very helpful; got me a load of accessories with a decent discount back in October when the car was delivered -even though not the supplying dealer.

Haven't seen many on the road in/around Stirling or surronding areas; certainly one supplied my Morrisons and a couple from Arnold Clark, but that it - other than the two in my street which are Rodium (ours) and Black (friend's).

On a side note, I see half the showroom was cleared last week and now has Jaguars in it; do you know if they've taken on that concession to go along with SEAT and the Land Rover/Range Rover across the road - would make sense I suppose, but have they stopped being an MG dealer then?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, have been using the other part of Morrisons since 2002. Have always had great service both sales and aftercare with Morrisons so I hope it continues with this side of the dealership.

So far I have seen a Samoa one in Carron, parked up last week, and a Black Magic as we drove back from Stirling at Plean yesterday. I've been keeping my eyes peeled but that is all I've managed to spot. No doubt once the car arrives I'll see much more - it always seems to be like that when you get a new car.

The Ateca is about to replace an interim LR Discovery which I've been using since October. Which was the wife's but we wanted to get another of the Discovery 4 model before there was none left, so have had a bit of a complex shuffling about of motors recently. In essence, the Ateca actually replaces a Skoda (Citigo Elegance)! I do wonder what our neighbours think with us having 2 Discovery's at the moment but all will be revealed in a few weeks time!

In respect of the Jaguars turning up, along with a number of higher top marque vehicles of similar ilk, when we picked up the latest LR, Chris whom we have dealt with almost exclusively discussed with me that the franchise for LR looks like it has to also encompass Jaguar since the 2 are combined as a company. It seems that this is now being progressed with some pace. They are apparently going to have develop the dealership to have a combined Jag/LR showroom - I hope it doesn't mean they have to concede the Seat franchise.....

Although I didn't query it yesterday, I imagine the Jags are from the Jaguar management programme so will be decent low mileage vehicles and would be a reasonably good buy. I had looked at a Jaguar XE as an option when looking for the new car but thought the windows far too shallow for my liking. Visibility is one of my growing concerns and bugbears when assessing vehicles and not much these days provides a good view out. The Ateca does but not quite like a Discovery - virtually nothing does though!

I use a lot of hire cars in my work so have had good opportunities to drive for extended periods with a round 20 or so different models over the last few months - decisions on what was good or not through that helped when narrowing it down. Quite liked the new Kia Sportage but the infotainment was not too easy to use, and the drive not as nice as the Ateca. But it was better than the Nissan X-trail! Did not like that at all. So did not even consider the Quashqai based on that experience. Volvo XC60 was on the list, as well as Mazda CX-5, Honda CRV and the Merc GLA, BMW X1 - but the Ateca won out in the end as the best all rounder. And it fits in the garage with a bit on room lengthways to spare.

What did others consider as alternatives before choosing the Areca for themselves - would be interested to hear from some of you what was on your list and the reasons why they weren't chosen?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hi and welcome!

On my list was
Volvo XC60....too expensive new & infotainment system archaic. New version probably within a year or so.
Mazda CX5....nearly went for that one, the Sport Nav model.
Renault Kadgar....but didn't float my boat.
Kia Sportage.....wasn't convinced with that one.
CashCow.....actually didn't consider that!
There were others but, the top 2 & the Ateca were the most likely.

But the deciding factor on choosing the Ateca Xcellence wasn't just the price, it was that it can be bought with a very good petrol engine. ;)

·
Registered
192 Posts
The key issues for me were a good four wheel drive system and a good automatic gear box. The latter ruled out almost everything apart from the German owned brands as the Cashquai etc all have naff CVT boxes. BMW, Merc and Audi want silly money for a badge so it came down to the Ateca or another Yeti. Sadly, since they launched the Kodiaq and started building the Ateca, Skoda seem to have forgotten about the Yeti and it's not getting updated, hence I went for the Ateca.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Yeti is next year if they haven't changed anything. That's what upset the Skoda fraternity when VW decided they would build the Ateca in the plant where the Yeti is built or would be build bumping it's production back but then there is the Kodiaq built along side. It's built in the east since production costs are lower.

What will be interesting is how the Yeti II will be priced against the Ateca and the extra comfort bits of cubby holes etc in the Yeti II compared with the Ateca.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Hi mike

Hmmmm Citigo .... Ateca

Not much difference there then ;)

Although I do have to say the Citigo is quite tardis like inside :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Oh and I didn't consider anything else ..... I wasn't meant to change for a few years but saw an advert, took a test drive and ordered all within a few days lol

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Saggy,

Yes Citigo ... Ateca - quite a difference! Citigo was decent sized for four people (bit of a squeeze for six footers in the back) but a breeze to park at the local retail park. However, as it was the Greentech model, the lowered suspension that helped with the reduced emissions was brick hard. 10mph max speed over traffic calming bumps (the chamfered type) or the front end smacked it as you approached it, and then coming off it the front end smacked the ground as the back went up the slope. When mid crossing over the bump the underside of the car scraped on them even at slow speed - was just a nightmare. As such, it got to the point where we ended up defaulting to the Discovery for comfort! Which really defeated the purpose of having the Citigo.

But we are truly spoiled having had a number of Discovery's, which are truly a multi purpose vehicle, transporting 7 full sized adults with ease, towing a substantial twin axle caravan, carrying approx 700kg of building supplies inside it (slabs, bags of cement, rubble to the tip) and used off road for work as well, transporting kit to where it is needed in the middle of the nowhere.

I don't think I'll be using the Ateca in quite the same manner (obviously not carrying 7 people :lol: ) - but I do expect to use it more often than we did the Citigo. On the test drive it was way more comfortable and the handling was a real clincher for me. Other manufacturers somehow manage to design jittery suspension that is still too soft for decent grip in the bends, or a wallowy ride that still sends a huge shock through the car and steering when hitting a reasonable (not huge) bump and compromises the other parts of driving, or have a weird steering set up that is too light initially, then way too heavy so you up sawing your way round bends. Experienced it all with the myriad of cars that I get from the hire company for work trips.

Really can't wait to get the Ateca! :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Been quietly reading a lot of the posts, patiently waiting on news on delivery of the car.

Its all happening now, from calls late this morning, dashing to the dealers this afternoon to sign up the finance paperwork, so they can release the car for registration/tax purposes. Transporter was due 'by tomorrow' - but not entirely sure at that point if the Areca was part of the consignment.

So got ther just after 3:30, transporter was there, just getting ready to drive off with a couple of vehicles still on board. And what do you know, the Ateca had been delivered! Wayhay, got to see it in the flesh, with all its wrappers and film and bits of foam, the tracking stickers still on it.

Absolutely overjoyed so now it's down to the finance release, the PDI and hopefully pick up on Monday!

There was at least another three delivered as well, so there should be more of them on the road soon, still not seeing many at all round by us, although there is one owner of a Rodium Grey that seems to have appeared not far from us in the last 3-4weeks.

I'll no doubt starting seeing more once I've got mine physically, it always seems that way when you get a new car!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Doh, fat finger syndrome and squinting without my other glasses on!

·
Registered
979 Posts
MGDisco said:
I'll no doubt starting seeing more once I've got mine physically, it always seems that way when you get a new car!
Don't know about that like, I still struggle to find any on the road. Although I think it must be just me as whenever my son is in the car he seems to spot one :roll:

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
:mrgreen: Christmas is early .... or late depending on your view of the world

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Saggy said:
:mrgreen: Christmas is early .... or late depending on your view of the world
For me it's Christmas come early..... now I'll have to think about a new list for Santa for later in the year! :lol:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Ateca was handed over yesterday, late afternoon , so now getting to grips with it. I'll get some pics today and post them up, probably after lunch time.

So far finding it well worth it, just getting to grips with all the systems/settings - going to take some time but looking forward to it!

I have a query that I'll post in the technical area - will more than likely result in a call to the dealer I think.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts