Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked mine up today

Only walked in to the dealers on Monday and took the one they had in the show room

Great job Duff Morgan in Norwich

:D :D :D :D :D :D
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,865 Posts
:mrgreen: congratulations
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
526 Posts
Nice one Eddie! How you finding it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its better than expected as I originally test drove at manual one and did not like the stop start but driving the DSG today was fine have only done about 40 miles so still play with it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
231 Posts
eddie bullman said:
Its better than expected as I originally test drove at manual one and did not like the stop start but driving the DSG today was fine have only done about 40 miles so still play with it
Nice one Eddie. Be careful though, you'll wake someone up ;) talking about stop-start.

It does cut in at awkward moments occasionally in the manual but mostly I've learned to live with it, adapting my techniques. My other car's a DSG and it does catch me by surprise at my first junction.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Congrats nightly welcome to the Ateca club, I quite like the start stop, had it on my Volvo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
looks lovely
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
328 Posts
How can it cut in at awkward moments in a manual? It only cuts in if you put it in to neutral and take your foot off the clutch. That "awkward moment" can only be chosen by the driver...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
David_S said:
How can it cut in at awkward moments in a manual? It only cuts in if you put it in to neutral and take your foot off the clutch. That "awkward moment" can only be chosen by the driver...
When i did my test drive with the manual if i was not quick with the gear change at a junction the start stop would kick in thats all so probably
was me as i drive a works van most of the time and use engine braking a lot of the time and at the weekends I drove an x-type auto jag
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
979 Posts
eddie bullman said:
David_S said:
How can it cut in at awkward moments in a manual? It only cuts in if you put it in to neutral and take your foot off the clutch. That "awkward moment" can only be chosen by the driver...
When i did my test drive with the manual if i was not quick with the gear change at a junction the start stop would kick in thats all so probably
was me as i drive a works van most of the time and use engine braking a lot of the time and at the weekends I drove an x-type auto jag
I'm still confused how it catches you out in a manual? It will only turns the engine off when you are out of gear and foot completely off clutch. Are you taking it out of gear and off clutch while still moving and coast along? As soon as you touch the clutch it starts again 🤔
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
931 Posts
Kindness71 said:
Are you taking it out of gear and off clutch while still moving and coast along? As soon as you touch the clutch it starts again 🤔
'
It still wouldn't cut out. Even out of gear and 'coasting' auto STOP/START wouldn't kick in. You'd really have to be near standstill - 1mph before this would happen.

Just wondering if it's really the stop/start system or did eddie actually stall the car - i.e. not used to the bite point of the clutch? Being used to engine braking as an excuse doesn't square - engine braking only happens when the car is in gear!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kindness71 said:
eddie bullman said:
David_S said:
How can it cut in at awkward moments in a manual? It only cuts in if you put it in to neutral and take your foot off the clutch. That "awkward moment" can only be chosen by the driver...
When i did my test drive with the manual if i was not quick with the gear change at a junction the start stop would kick in thats all so probably
was me as i drive a works van most of the time and use engine braking a lot of the time and at the weekends I drove an x-type auto jag
I'm still confused how it catches you out in a manual? It will only turns the engine off when you are out of gear and foot completely off clutch. Are you taking it out of gear and off clutch while still moving and coast along? As soon as you touch the clutch it starts again 🤔
I don't mater now as i have a a DSG one
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
I did drool over that in the showroom- but wanted DSG - Enjoy 😀
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
231 Posts
eddie bullman said:
David_S said:
How can it cut in at awkward moments in a manual? It only cuts in if you put it in to neutral and take your foot off the clutch. That "awkward moment" can only be chosen by the driver...
When i did my test drive with the manual if i was not quick with the gear change at a junction the start stop would kick in thats all so probably
was me as i drive a works van most of the time and use engine braking a lot of the time and at the weekends I drove an x-type auto jag
I agree with you exactly on this thing about junctions and I thought it was just me that said "awkward moments" earlier in the thread. Anyway, it happens occasionally and also when driving into my drive when I slow down for the narrow entrance. Here though it might have something to do with front assist, but definitely not at the odd junction where you think you've stalled embarrassingly only for the really quiet engine to kick in again - and you need to look at the rev counter to have confidence its actually running again.

Thinking about it, the scenarios normally involve 90-left turns with a slight pause to check oncoming traffic or scrub speed for negotiating narrow access to bumpy drive. I did cut it off yesterday in a nose-tail crawl where everyone in lane 2 wanted to fill my delay gap. Downright annoying in heavy traffic moving a car length at a time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,710 Posts
If you don't like it just turn it off. It offers no benefits to the user. The only reason why it is fitted is to lower the official emissions a tiny bit lower. The only problem is that it defaults to on, so you have to remember to switch it off every time you start the engine.

At least the switch is a physical one on the console rather that something buried inside the infotainment system.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
931 Posts
Niggly said:
I did cut it off yesterday in a nose-tail crawl where everyone in lane 2 wanted to fill my delay gap. Downright annoying in heavy traffic moving a car length at a time.
'
That's nothing peculiar to the Ateca or a manual - that happens with every car.

Would be interested to know why you find it annoying? If it was causing some delay in setting off then yes, I can see your point, but the system is seemless - your car performs no different to if you didn't have stop/start. (As the above says you can always switch it off in heavy traffic).

I must admit I was sceptical about these things when I first experienced stop/start in a car, but these days I get more annoyed when sitting in traffic and the engine DOESN'T cut out. No point in an engine running when the car isn't moving.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Doesn't the stop start also rely on speed. If I knock the car into neutral, lift the clutch and coast to a stop the engine shuts off at around 4mph.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
231 Posts
Golfmk56 said:
Niggly said:
I did cut it off yesterday in a nose-tail crawl where everyone in lane 2 wanted to fill my delay gap. Downright annoying in heavy traffic moving a car length at a time.
'
That's nothing peculiar to the Ateca or a manual - that happens with every car.

Would be interested to know why you find it annoying? If it was causing some delay in setting off then yes, I can see your point, but the system is seemless - your car performs no different to if you didn't have stop/start. (As the above says you can always switch it off in heavy traffic).
It's the marginal delay in traffic that's almost crawling (creates gap for someone to fill) and as my wife drives it most of the time that was the my first experience of that kind of traffic in a manual with S/S. My other car's a DSG (easier in such traffic) but didn't want to take it to the destination. I did turn it off, but the Ateca's subliminal Eco propaganda made me think I ought to put it on again as the flow improved - then didn't. I think it's the fact that the stop kicks in slightly before you've completely stopped - and then there's the momentary delay (which doesn't give confidence) before it allows forward motion again.

I know this was debated at length before so I don't want to perpetuate it here. And I do have the capability to programme it out through the voltage trick if necessary. The memorised toggle on my other car is the perfect compromise - it's there ONLY when I want it and stays as last set.

I live in a county that's about 100 miles long and has a phone book just over 1cm thick so you can imagine traffic jams aren't the same type or frequency as elsewhere.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top