Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did do some measurements on mine. This is the dial one, not digital read out.

Indicated 120 kms per hour was 115 kms per hour. 5 out. 3 MPH.

Thus a safety beep at 3 MPH will be bang on the limit. Rough and ready.

Let people do their own checks.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
That's about what I said based on my Leon and that has exactly the same basic sensors etc. 5% is a good figure. It is actually a legal requirement for the speedo to never show a lower speed than actual, so there will always be an error on the plus side.

As for speed traps, I don't know what the situation is in the UK, but in Spain they have to allow a margin of error for the radar equipment. This is a figure published by the traffic police and is 11kph at 120kph (which is the motorway limit). So you will not get clocked unless doing more than 131 kph. Allowing for speedo error, I set my speed warning at 140kph. Incidentally, they also publish the exact locations of all fixed radars.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did check you are right on the 5 percent margin, which tallies nicely with the 3 MPH in excess safety warnings in the car, lower limit as I recall. No in the UK some regional police are bastards and have 0 percent tolerance. Take a pride in it. North or Mid Wales is one. The Cardiff owners of the Ateca will tell you. Some use the variable speed cameras which you can shoot past at 70 mph as live which catches a few out... or quite a few.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
The only guys here who have zero tolerance are the guys in helicopters. Their radar is so accurate that they don't need it.

They are the ones who get you for crossing a white line - only €300 for that! It's the same for not stopping at a stop sign.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Went past one of those radar signs earlier, was a 50 limit, had the cruise set on 50, and the sign flashed up a green 48 at me..

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's about right the 2mph error.

If you got the dynamic speed warnings and the ones generated off the built in maps set to warn at 3mph over you are on the limit each time it bongs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts