Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to order my new company car and was delighted to discover that Seat would be launching the Ateca around the time that my ordering process would begin. So, for months now I have been reading reviews, tech data, specs etc and had made up my mind that as soon as I confirmed what came as standard and what I could add, I would be ordering the 2.0 TDI Excellence, manual, 2WD...you know where this is going don't you?!
I even got as far as running my vehicle of choice through the company car website and storing my quote, only to discover, as I was about to finalise the order, that this model has now been pulled :eek:
So, other than the company car tax implications, does anyone know of any reason why I wouldn't be just as happy with the 4WD version? How does the MPG compare with a 2WD? What about being completely completely radical and opting for the 1.4 TSI, 2WD? I average about 20k per year so I am thinking the diesel would be the most economical for me? It is a long time since I have driven a petrol car though so they may have come on fuel economy wise since I last had one.
I currently drive a Vauxhall Mokka 1.7 TDi and love the ride height hence why I am going for an Ateca rather than the benchmark Leon.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Ah, the TDI150 was pulled in the UK just before the full launch, was around in the pre order period but then pulled as Seat realised they couldn't... 20,000 miles a year that is in the diesel area for sure. The 1.4 TSI engine think you will find that problematic to obtain due to demand.

On 4WD you got the extra weight of the axle and the reduction in space in the boot. It's the flat plain area under the lip that you loose about a half. But then the Ateca has a big boot. Manual 4WD it will be the TDI 150 engine but with AdBlue, the issue that they had with the 2WD leaving it out. DSG it's the TDI 190 engine, again with AdBlue.

Consumption figures are tabulated in their materiel. The 190 is like the 150 if you don't aggressively drive it but then you only get that in DSG (got paddles thou if you are into F1 motor racing... did they get rid of paddles there... pass on that... so you can do launch control starts if you have the urge).

The 4Drive has a better suspension than the 2WD so is said to ride better.

The problem you may get with getting the 4Drive which is what it is, is that orders already taken for the 2WD TDI150 have been given the option in Spain and Germany to change their orders to 4Drive. Thus I don't know how it effects lead time.

Don't select Orange as a colour their is a shortage of that. I think Vag Happy or words to that effect may be able to tell you how good the 4Drive manual is by the end of the week when they get theirs.

OK I have the June version of the PDF brochure which featured the deleted TDI150 so one can compare, err no it was to be confirmed. September's PDF has the figures for what can be ordered not for what can't be:

Urban cycle MPG was 47.9 for both the 4Drive TDI 150 manual and TDI 190 DSG.
Extra Urban, 60.1 and 57.6 receptively.
Combined, 55.4 and 53.3 respectively.
CO2, 129 and 135.

That's why I'm happy not to stir the gears.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The 1.4TSI is smoother and quieter than the 2.0 TDI. As for economy, look at how much you get back in expenses versus how much you will spend in fuel, then factor in how much you will spend on private mileage. The loss of boot space in the 4WD shouldn't be an issue if you are used to a Mokka. The 190 DSG gets a double hit from high P11D value and relatively high BIK. Look at how much each version will cost you each month by saving a quote for both on the company car website. If you are keeping it for three or four years then even a small difference in monthly cost adds up.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you @Tell and @newtoseat. That is a good point about the mileage expenses, I hadn't considered that I was merely looking at the P11D and monthly personal contribution figures. TBH there isn't much difference in the net monthly cost between the two. I will have a look at the mileage later on though.
I have never had a Seat either but I have been quite impressed with the standard kit some of my colleagues have in their Leon's.
I have never joined a car forum before either but I am also impressed with this!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Welcome to the forum JLO!

NewtoSeat is right, the petrols have been commented on for their quietness, makes for quite a refined and comfortable drive. I don't do heavy mileage though so I have always been in the petrol camp. I would have loved a 1.4, the mileage figures seem to be mid 40s on a normal route which to me sounds very impressive, and it has that little bit more power than the 1.0. Both engines are not a million miles away from the quoted figure either, which makes a change!

The forum is very good :) It's nice to see so many new members joining and commenting now the car has launched in the U.K. A few of us have been here for months and it was quite quiet at the start. Loads of information on here if you read through. Mostly from Tell! :) Rob is good for jumping on the official announcements and pictures as well.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
JLO welcome, I'm sure you will make the right decision, a diesel ;). You have to be weary on the availability on the 1.4 TSI petrol. There have been some reports of long waits. I would have considered it if they sold the DSG version in the UK but they don't.

I wouldn't get too committed to one particular model in the range before speaking to a Seat salesman who knows the current delivery picture by model then you can balance that in. Certainly 1.4 TSI is long. Seat had a batch of cars made for the launch and early orders so you might find one in the country other than that, you join the production queue by model.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Magpie86 & Tell. I think that my mileage alone will necessitate a diesel and 1.4 sounds very small for such a big car...it is a long time since I had a petrol though so I am sure they come on since my 1.1 Austin Metro days :lol:
@Tell, fortunately lead in and delivery times aren't really an issue for me as my new company car renewal isn't due until February anyway and if it goes beyond that they will just extend my current one until I take delivery of my shiny new one. We have to order our cars 6 months out from renewal though, and they have started to chase me now! I have just made the call to book a test drive for Sunday and am waiting for them to get back to me so hopefully next week I will be in a position to place that order.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
JLO said:
1.4 sounds very small for such a big car...it is a long time since I had a petrol though so I am sure they come on since my 1.1 Austin Metro days :lol:
They certainly have. I have had a 1.4 140PS Tsi in my Leon for three years and it's one of the nicest engines I have ever driven. Loads of torque low down, far more than my previous Leon TDI.

I have driven the Ateca 1.4Tsi 4WD and the Tdi 150 4WD and the Tsi was far better. The heavier 4wd diesel was much slower and felt pretty uninspiring. It may have more torque, but it didn't feel like it. Also the extra weight showed in the handling compared to the lighter car.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Hmmm. Still I'm having the 190 which was better on the power to weight ratio than your TSI when I worked it out Freddie ;). I didn't work out the TDI150 figures. The Ateca 1.4Tsi 4WD we can't buy in the UK, Freddie lives in Spain.

I should say JLO that the 2WD TDI150 is suppose to be order-able from January if they keep to the schedule, delivery from April onwards. You might anticipate delays though, but that's what Seat UK is saying. Long lead time you probably could order a TSI manual but then it comes down to the numbers. Having had a 2 litre TDI DSG for nearly 12 years, I wanted to stick with DSG and the extra power they get out of the engine these days was also attractive although I didn't realise I was getting myself a 40 percent increase in the power to weight ratio till I worked it out. They also build cars a bit lighter these days. About 5 percent of the 40 percent is due to weight, 35 percent due to a more powerful 2 litre TDI.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Sorry - typo. The 1.4Tsi I tried was 2WD/DSG not 4WD. I would not expect the 4WD version to be a sprightly as the 2WD - weight again. Yes, the 1.4 4WD is available in Spain also the DSG. I think there is the option for a 1.4 DSG/4WD in Germany.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Hi JLO

You must let us know how the test drive went (assuming it is happening Sunday)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Saggy...test drive at 12pm tomorrow. I am not sure which model I will get but I am very excited...I clearly need to get out more :D
I was very disappointed that I drove 160 miles up and down the M1 yesterday and I still haven't seen one on the road :cry:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OMG I am in love!!
Have just returned from test driving the 2.0 4WD Excellence and I am totally smitten. The most noticeable thing for me was that the clutch and steering both felt wonderfully light but still with plenty of response and feedback. When I got back in the Mokka to drive home it felt like driving a big lump of concrete in comparison.
Whilst I didn't check out all of the gadgets (other than the electric tailgate with foot wiggle, which was brilliant), the layout all appeared very user friendly and easy enough to get your head around.
The Ateca certainly lived up to and exceeded all of my expectations. You will recall that I am replacing my company car, but what i didn't mention was that I have the choice of either a Seat or an Audi and of course it would be the Q3 that I would be looking at. However after driving the Ateca, my mind is even more made up and I will not even be going to test drive the Audi...in fact I am ordering my Ateca this afternoon...once I have calculated which is going to be most economically beneficial for me...2.0 DTI or 1.4 TSI. I'll keep you posted!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Brilliant :)

I fell in love immediately too. I test drive a petrol manual but I'm buying a diesel auto lol

I have to admit manual was sooo smooth clutch I nearly went back to manual after years away

I've not even been in an Xcellence yet as my deal only had se in when I test drove.
I have asked them to let me know when get one so I can see interior and make final decision on red dash splashes or not

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What made you choose the diesel over the petrol Saggy?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Wanted 4wd dsg ... so that led to the 190bhp :)

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Such is life :).

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Rob142 said:
Hi jolly
Are you an engineer surveyor by chance?
No Rob, I am a Risk & Insurance Consultant. What made you think that?!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.