Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Have been driving Skodas' for last 10 years I have decided time for a brand change (albeit still within VAG) in form of the Ateca not wishing to wait for the new "Yeti".

Been looking to purchase a new 1.4 DSG SE with only convenience pack and spare wheel upgrade in med blue, and part x my current Skoda Octavia

Have really struggled with dealers to put together a sensible deal, the predominant attitude/ comments being we can sell as many of these as we want.

We don't make any money out of the Ateca and we are not able to use the Ateca sales towards our targets and you have to leave us some money to turn the garage lights on the morning.

This is with no dealer incentive i.e. extended warranty, free services etc, or discount ( other than the current national Seat offer) on the Ateca

That aside a primary concern with both S and SE models is that unless upgrading the infotainment unit it appears that DAB is not standard on these models.

So does anyone know if this mean that if the uk stops broadcasting FM within the next 24 months that some kind of adaptor screen will have to be fitted. ( Rather like a hands free Parrot unit for mobile phone).

Still trying to secure a deal.

Nomos

·
Registered
581 Posts
No FM switch off date for the UK has yet been agreed, with the general consensus amongst the industry is it will still be at least 2025 at the very earliest..

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I thought that audiophiles consider DAB to be worse than FM for audio quality, so maybe you are better off with FM. In Spain they introduced DAB some time ago and no one like it so they scrapped most of it and went back to FM. They are planning to introduce DAB+ in due course-ç. Maybe that's the way the UK will go eventually.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Nomos said:
Been looking to purchase a new 1.4 DSG SE with only convenience pack and spare wheel upgrade in med blue, and part x my current Skoda Octavia

Have really struggled with dealers to put together a sensible deal, the predominant attitude/ comments being we can sell as many of these as we want.

That aside a primary concern with both S and SE models is that unless upgrading the infotainment unit it appears that DAB is not standard on these models.

So does anyone know if this mean that if the uk stops broadcasting FM within the next 24 months that some kind of adaptor screen will have to be fitted. ( Rather like a hands free Parrot unit for mobile phone).
'
1: How to get a deal? Well the simple way of calculating worst case scenario - enter the details of your car (you must be honest) in to WebuyAnyCar.com and then WeWantAnyCar.com take the best valuation - and that will give you a trade price for your car.

Then go to a broker site such as DriveTheDeal.com or try CarWow. At this moment DTD is quoting a list price of £23,345 for the car you've specified but they'll put you in touch with a UK SEAT dealer who will sell you it for £20923 - that's a £2422 saving off list. There are ALWAYS discounts available on SEAT's... if any dealer tells you otherwise they are lying to you.

Take the trade price from selling to an auction site away from the new car discount price of £20923 - and that will be your changeover. It's up to you how close you want to get to that figure for the convenience of using a local dealership but you can use that changeover figure to tell the SEAT dealers you've already been speaking to that they're taking bollocks.

When I bought my car I used Arnold Clark and they actually BEAT that changeover figure without any haggling :D

2: I agree with DAB situation in the S and SE - pretty daft to offer a car in 2017 without DAB. I'm sure it's designed so you will part with £500 odd quid. However your car comes with Apple Carplay / Android Auto / Bluetooth / line In, so you've no issue playing DAB thru your phone or as others have said, there are other dedicated solutions. http://www.autodab.com/productitem.aspx?Manf=Seat&model=Leon&ProductNo=CTDAB-ST2 should be the best of the bunch but contact the manufacturer first to make sure it applies to the latest SEAT headunits.

3: FM stops broadcasting in the next 24 months - where on earth did you get that from? It's total garbage :roll:

Fred99 said:
I thought that audiophiles consider DAB to be worse than FM for audio quality, so maybe you are better off with FM.
'
Depends on the source. DAB has been by far the best quality in all other cars I've owned but if anything, FM is better in the Ateca - I'm not sure why that is.

However, audiophiles may as well stick their soundmeters up their arse because it's not about soundquality, it's about the number of stations - DAB has many more stations available. And when it comes to sports... well you only have the choice of listening to the Cup Final or Wimbledon on DAB and MW/AM. Even Van Gogh wouldn't bother with MW :lol:

·
Registered
87 Posts
I think the folks in charge of VAG would love to hear from you re the attitude which you have received from their dealerships, no company on this earth can afford to be so idiotic, REMEMBER THE CUSTOMER IS KING, put the boot into these people,get onto the VAG marketing department and out these idiots.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am sure that VAG know full well the shortcomings of many Seat dealers. They will be aware of the JD Power Survey and will monitor websites such as this. However they prefer to pour money into Audi & VW dealers where the real money is to be made. I doubt the success of the Ateca will result in a change of attitude on VW's part. Upgrading the dealerships will have to be reflected in the price of the cars and this will impact on the rationale behind the whole of the VW group structure.

·
Registered
931 Posts
fujixpro said:
I think the folks in charge of VAG would love to hear from you re the attitude which you have received from their dealerships, no company on this earth can afford to be so idiotic, REMEMBER THE CUSTOMER IS KING, put the boot into these people,get onto the VAG marketing department and out these idiots.
'
Said it before, will say it again - your contract is with the dealership, not SEAT. By all accounts SEAT's order book is full so I'd have thought VW marketing dept will be very happy. If the dealers attitude above results in the customer turning to Skoda, or VW or even Audi then those SEAT dealerships are more likely to win an award !

No business is ever going to turn custom away - if they do then obviously they don't need to discount their cars. That means SEAT must be already happy with the number of orders from those dealerships.

Forget about complaining to anyone, the solution is to vote with your feet. Shop around until you find a dealer who NEEDS to sell cars rather than one who WANTS to sell a car.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Golfmk56 said:
fujixpro said:
No business is ever going to turn custom away - if they do then obviously they don't need to discount their cars. That means SEAT must be already happy with the number of orders from those dealerships.
Seat CEO already has said that they got 2 times more Atecas ordered than they predicted. And reason why dealers are not so keen to take more orders.
Some countries have 1 year wait time and gracefully ask customers to look elsewhere. Sad truth.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Re selling your car, apart from the obvious route of selling privately, "car shop" and Evans Halsaw gave 15% better quotes than webuyanycar

There's also a service called Tootle where you can auction your car off that's supposed to be good.

Shocked to hear about your service, again name n shame here I think! Finally one of the threads here quoted a great dealer that gave 4k off n promised to look after any of us. I saw it too late, but I'll try n dig out for you.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Sorry but I can't find it. Perry in Aylesbury seems well recommended though.

Also have you tried the brokers? drive the deal were offering about 10.5% off list. They're pretty good and you get the car from a proper dealer, just the corporate side not the front office retail side.

·
Registered
526 Posts
pps I got 2k off (including the current seat 1k offer) from Seat Watford if that's any good for you. My spec in signature below. No trade in as I said I would sell my current car myself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the replies so far.

In relation to the DAB module I have to agree with Golf MK56 comments that this should be included in the standard unit.

I really would not fancy having an additional unit mounted to the dash and having to be wired in the existing system, even through a VAG dealer to keep any potential warranty in place.

The UK turn off for FM within 24 months was seen in a BBC internet article last week.

I will also look the companies suggested in relation to the value of my car.

I never suspected despite being told by several dealerships that no money was being made on the sale of an Ateca and clearly from what Golf 56 states each sale must be generating £3k plus, and on top of that any part exchange profit.

In my case I was being offered at best a part exchange price of £3-3.5k less than current retail dealership sale price of my vehicle. So all in all on one sale a potential profit of around £6k.

Enough I would imagine to keep the dealership lights on for the rest of this year.

In respect of dealers the one of the main reasons I wish to move from the Skoda brand is the loss of the local family Skoda dealership which had provided fantastic second to none customer service for me over the last ten years.

This company unfortunately for various reasons is no longer a Skoda dealer, trying to replace them has proved difficult and has led to having to travel some considerable distance to find what I would consider a reputable dealer, who can provide reliable service.

Interestingly in relation to some of the reply comments about JD Power survey /Seat dealers etc, having failed to secure the Ateca deal locally.
I contacted a (family) Seat dealer some considerable distance away (by phone) who has also have a Skoda franchise which receive many recommendations on Skoda forums.

This probably proved to be worst Seat experience to date. Three days instead of one to provide an email of the proposed deal with by far the worst part exchange offer to date.

On average it took two to three days to reply to my telephone messages, and my last contact with the sales person I was told that I would receive a reply within 10 to 15 minutes. I have never heard from him again.

I did however receive an email from a company used by this dealership to rate their service, In my opinion I completed this survey to reflect the dealerships communication/ service issues.

For whatever reason my "survey" does not appear amongst the mainly positive reviews for this particular dealership.

The search continues.

Nomos

·
Registered
931 Posts
Nomos said:
I never suspected despite being told by several dealerships that no money was being made on the sale of an Ateca and clearly from what Golf 56 states each sale must be generating £3k plus, and on top of that any part exchange profit.

In my case I was being offered at best a part exchange price of £3-3.5k less than current retail dealership sale price of my vehicle. So all in all on one sale a potential profit of around £6k.

Enough I would imagine to keep the dealership lights on for the rest of this year.

For whatever reason my "survey" does not appear amongst the mainly positive reviews for this particular dealership.

The search continues.

Nomos
'
1: Everyone has different experiences with dealerships (staff change) so you're right, if you're not comfortable with one then vote with your feet and find a dealership you do like. I've had some bad experiences over the years with Arnold Clark, I think on the whole that they're condescending towards customers, (especially their motorstores) which I'm sure is down to pressure sale tactics. However AC is pretty dominant north of the border so needless to say both our current cars were supplied by AC, and I couldn't have asked for a better sales experience on these occasions. There's just no hard and fast rules about dealerships - it just depends on the salesperson.

2: The profits in sales aren't as simple as you make them out to be - don't concern yourself with how much profit a dealer makes because you'll be wrong. (A dealer may sell an individual car at a loss but still make an overall profit on the deal. That's what I meant by finding a dealer who NEEDS to sell a car rather than one who just WANTS to sell it). Just stick to what the best deal is for you and forget about the dealership's profit margin. It would be very, very unusual for any dealership to make £6k on any single deal (or certainly not on any run-of-the-mill car).

G

·
Fred99 said:
I thought that audiophiles consider DAB to be worse than FM for audio quality, so maybe you are better off with FM. In Spain they introduced DAB some time ago and no one like it so they scrapped most of it and went back to FM. They are planning to introduce DAB+ in due course-ç. Maybe that's the way the UK will go eventually.
Same thing here in Finland. Between 1997 and 2005, out national broadcaster experimented with DAB, but practically nobody bought the receiver. They discontinued the service, and as of today, we have no plans for digital radio. Or more likely, no plans for digital radio broadcast over-the-air. Of course many people listen to internet radio stations.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I think it's been stated elsewhere, but the current "heat" around the Ateca is stretching all part of the Seat business model to the limit, factories, dealerships, Seat head office, etc. Whilst the car is brilliant, the infrastructure around it is failing horribly....

·
Registered
164 Posts
As a former professional salesman (not cars), I can completely understand why dealers are not offering great deals on the Ateca. Firstly, demand is far outstripping supply, so why would you sell one with a huge discount when you could sell the same thing closer to list price to someone else? You wouldn't. Secondly, if you have monthly or quarterly sales targets, then why sell a car where the deal would not be fully executed within the quarter, let alone the month? You'd rather sell something that helps make your target this month or this quarter.

Note - I don' have any insider knowledge of car dealership targets. They probably get something for taking an order but I'd imagine they'd not see the full benefit until the car is handed over. Depending on how they are measured you might be able to negotiate better deals in the last few weeks of the quarter.

However, being practical - someone has already recommended drivethedeal or www.carwow.co.uk . I used carwow to buy my car and got a 9.5% discount from a deal just over 100 miles from where I live. That's worth the journey. Have you tried one of those websites?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Yup tried both and used carwow to help me negotiate my price down. Wish I had used drivethdeal though as that would have gotten the price even further down!

So whilst you are right in saying demand exceeds supply, in my view sales people don't care about supply, they assume all orders will be met. i.e they just want to secure your order and in effect, and AFAIK, there is no cap on the number of orders so supply becomes unlimited. Now with unlimited supply, discounts are back on the table and that's where the information supplied by the internet forces sellers to compete with each other thus creating the need to discount.

·
Registered
526 Posts
p.s. I used to have an Accord Type R, awesome engine!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
kee said:
So whilst you are right in saying demand exceeds supply, in my view sales people don't care about supply, they assume all orders will be met.
Sales people only care about how they are measured and how they are compensated (paid). It all depends on the sales/commission plan that they are on, so it is wrong to say that "sales people don't care about supply, they assume all orders will be met". Any dealership that pays for just taking orders would be off their heads in my opinion, because they have cars in the forecourt to sell (new and used), pre-reg and on-order cars to sell, and they have targets to meet that are set by the manufacturer, which will be all about getting revenue in this month or this quarter. The dealership itself will have cash-flow, revenue and profitability targets to meet - which will be monthly and quarterly.

So taking an order that might get shipped in October is not going to be something anyone is going to bust a gut to sell. Most sales people are motivated by what earns them money this month (jam today) rather than the future (jam tomorrow). They are remarkably short-sighted, especially if their job security depends on the deals they do this month and next.

i.e they just want to secure your order and in effect, and AFAIK, there is no cap on the number of orders so supply becomes unlimited.
I disagree with your analysis (see above).....
Now with unlimited supply, discounts are back on the table and that's where the information supplied by the internet forces sellers to compete with each other thus creating the need to discount.
.... given I don't agree with the premise of your argument, I ca't agree with your conclusion either. You are puzzled that dealers aren't giving you better offers. I am giving you the likely reason. Sure, internet and sites like Carwow give more power to the buyer, but dealers will only go so far when there is so much demand that can not be met.

Other cars I was considering included a Volvo S60 Saloon. Because that is due a bit of an overhaul and loads of people are deserting the Saloon market, I was getting 20% to 27% off list from a slew of dealers (ability to supply is clearly greater than the demand). I was very happy to get 9.5% off the Ateca.

Just sayin' like - based on my professional experience (which was NOT in car sales).

Cheers

1 - 20 of 23 Posts