Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm almost 3 years in with our Forest Green Yeti Outdoor 170 Elegance (4wd). Considering an Ateca, but would prefer the 1.4tsi, given the mileage we do. We're in and around the Scottish Highlands, hence the 4wd, but used to survive with FWD before the joys of the Yeti (this is our second),

Any feedback on 190 Tdi Xellence 4wd v 150 tsi Xellence 2wd ? Any spec "must haves" and likely dealer discount ?

May go for a test drive tomorrow :cool: Want to be sure it's as good or better to drive than the Yeti.

Just coming up to speed with the site, which seems very informative and friendly !

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
I did have a fully sober reply but lost it to Firefox.

360 degree cameras is a good add on, people without it have the issues of parking the car. Saves a lot of messing about and you get exactly within about 3" of where you want to be. The ultrasound hot spots are imposed on the matrix image from above and you can swing around between cameras.

Heated front windscreen is a bargain. .

Panoramic roof for a treat.

Kessy makes life easy with the electric tailgate if you lug stuff around, reduces visits back to the car by a half.

ACC and Lane Assist you can do without if you enjoy driving the car yourself. I'm not really using these now.

Don't be put off by the anti diesel heroics. There is a 4wd 1.4 TDI but isn't available in the UK.

£1,000 discount is the companies standard. Northern retailers may offer more. Not sure of how good Internet retailers are. In July they were a waste of space.

The car is a joy to drive.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Hi

Heated windscreen a must

The rest depends on your driving type

Acc and lane assist good if motorway driving

I have had both a 170 and 150 Yeti

This beats both
More refined, quieter, prettier

Not had the weather or conditions yet to compare the 4wd capability and here in east mids don't usually get the extremes but sure it will be at least equal

The new Yeti next year will be good and similar I suspect but I wouldn't wait that long :)

Sorry can compare on the 2wd
I went with 190 4wd as I wanted DSG

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
And discount ..... they are now offering 1000 as standard in most places if you test drive
I'd push for at least another £500 although demand high now in full swing so may not be keen to move much beyond the 1k

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hi there :) The heated windscreen is definitely a boon in more northern climes, and we love the samba-dance boot opener. Seat Sound has been worth it for me, much clearer than the mushy sound in the demonstrator we drove. Lane assist has been switched off here for now as I didn't like how it tugged on the wheel if I forgot/chose not to indicate while changing lane. I thought there was something up with the steering until I figured it out. On a long run I'd probably have it on though just in case. And the Lava Blue doesn't look anything like the brochure or configurator when you see it in the flesh, so to speak :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ours is definitely an improvement on the Yeti - significantly more refined and although the ride is a bit firmer, it is well damped and less crashy so overall an improvement in my view - very well sorted and better than a Jaguar F-Pace I had on loan which was distinctly jittery at times.

We have the 7-speed DSG, 7th is effectively an "overdrive" for motorway cruising. Standard audio system is also much better than either the standard or Sound System options on the Yeti. The SEAT Sound option comes with a "free" spare wheel - unfortunately our dealer forgot to add it to our order so we are currently still waiting for all the right bits to retrofit the spare wheel!

One thing to note on the 4wd issue is the choice of tyres in the 225/50R18 size is quite limited - in particular there are only a couple of all-season options, neither of which are brands which I would consider. We had Nokian and Goodyear all-season tyres on our two Yetis and I'm hoping there will be a bit more choice when we wear out the factory Bridgestones. So if you go the 2wd route you would probably want to get a set of full winter tyres if you are concerned about bad weather.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks - with the 1.4tsi having torsion beam rear suspension, I'm thinking 190 XEllence 4wd, probably manual (daughter learning to drive), probably Lava Blue (still to see it in the flesh).

Will keep the posts coming.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Leon said:
Public Health have been saying that for years and now they are stranded in local authority management. A man and a dog. That's a 2012 piece. The dirty ones pre date Euro 6.

The VW fiddling underlined that the end of the road for diesel development was close but you don't have to jump ship yet. Probably better to jump ship when VW / Seat / Skoda have useful hybrids.

I do my bit don't drive in London and catch the train or bus unless I can't carry something then I'll drive in town.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Silly Old Hector said:
Thanks - with the 1.4tsi having torsion beam rear suspension, I'm thinking 190 XEllence 4wd, probably manual (daughter learning to drive), probably Lava Blue (still to see it in the flesh).

Will keep the posts coming.
I forgot to mention that, I haven't driven a 2WD Ateca but past experience with torsion beam rear suspension (Golf, Passat B5) has been disappointing.

Currently I believe the choice in 4WD in the UK is either the 150PS TDI manual or the 190PS TDI 7-speed DSG.

Mark

·
Registered
338 Posts
Tell said:
Public Health have been saying that for years and now they are stranded in local authority management. A man and a dog. That's a 2012 piece. The dirty ones pre date Euro 6.

The VW fiddling underlined that the end of the road for diesel development was close but you don't have to jump ship yet. Probably better to jump ship when VW / Seat / Skoda have useful hybrids.

I do my bit don't drive in London and catch the train or bus unless I can't carry something then I'll drive in town.
It may be from 2012, but there is no 'clean diesel'. It's not from local authorities, it's from the WHO. The VW con just shows how much the industry is prepared to go to cover up these facts. Every time a diesel engine starts it emits carcinogens into the atmosphere. These can alter human/animal DNA and cause early deaths. Look on the bright side, maybe the animal skin covering on those seats you really, really didn't want, are made from animals who died that way. That would be a nice counter balance for you. ;)

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/othercarcinogens/pollution/diesel-exhaust-and-cancer

·
Registered
61 Posts
Had my 190 Excellence for a week now. I didn't want a diesel as I don't do a lot of miles and have always been a bit anti, but wanted an automatic so had to go for this at the time. It is a bit noisier than my 1.4tsi Leon was but does accelerate nicely and the drive is similar. The sunroof and cabin are great, so similar to my Leon that it all feels very familiar, but bigger. I had the sound pack in my Leon and it is just as good in the new car. The camera is taking getting used to, some strange angles on posts and things

Reading up on the emissions does suggest that although diesels may be slightly more polluting, the fact that they are 20% more efficient than petrol turns the tables in their favour.

Having trouble getting used to remembering to hold my hand over the door sensor to lock it and fold the mirrors each time. The car didn't come with a Nav card, the dealer said that they have to order them separately and are waiting for delivery.

Now the 1.4 DSG version is available I trying to think if there is any way to swap over to the petrol but any method would resort in me losing a lot of money so I may as well stick with it.!

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Leon said:
Tell said:

It may be from 2012, but there is no 'clean diesel'. It's not from local authorities, it's from the WHO. The VW con just shows how much the industry is prepared to go to cover up these facts. Every time a diesel engine starts it emits carcinogens into the atmosphere. These can alter human/animal DNA and cause early deaths. Look on the bright side, maybe the animal skin covering on those seats you really, really didn't want, are made from animals who died that way. That would be a nice counter balance for you. ;)

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/othercarcinogens/pollution/diesel-exhaust-and-cancer
There are 17 references in that publications which is extremely poor for a scientific paper which it isnt. The P10 stuff has been going on your years. It's the concentration in cities that is the issue. Nothing about EU 6 since its wouldn't be for WHO and the Daily Mail published that stuff which says a lot.

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2012/06june/Pages/who-classes-diesel-vehicle-exhaust-fumes-as-carcinogen.aspx

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Malcster said:
Had my 190 Excellence for a week now. I didn't want a diesel as I don't do a lot of miles and have always been a bit anti, but wanted an automatic so had to go for this at the time. It is a bit noisier than my 1.4tsi Leon was but does accelerate nicely and the drive is similar. The sunroof and cabin are great, so similar to my Leon that it all feels very familiar, but bigger. I had the sound pack in my Leon and it is just as good in the new car. The camera is taking getting used to, some strange angles on posts and things

Reading up on the emissions does suggest that although diesels may be slightly more polluting, the fact that they are 20% more efficient than petrol turns the tables in their favour.

Having trouble getting used to remembering to hold my hand over the door sensor to lock it and fold the mirrors each time. The car didn't come with a Nav card, the dealer said that they have to order them separately and are waiting for delivery.

Now the 1.4 DSG version is available I trying to think if there is any way to swap over to the petrol but any method would resort in me losing a lot of money so I may as well stick with it.!
If it's 360' then the overall top view is the best. The sides give you a close up view of the front tyres. The front and back viewed independently tells you whether you are on it, but the true cars position is viewed from the top view camera / 360' which gives you the plan view that I find the most useful which is based on the images matrixed into one and the projection corrected.

Eg. Which shows the 4 camera re projected image with the car's body projected onto it. Positions of front wheels and the hot ultrasound points on the corners. Allows perfect parking in situations like this. & those are real autumn leaves in the photograph below, not computer generated ones. It's very clever.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update 1:

Mrs Hector has been to see the car and has decided its too big for her and eldest daughter (learning to drive).

So we are going smaller.....

I saw a silver customer's car pull in to the showroom as we arrived. It was slightly grubby, but looked really good for it !

I think we'll come back to an Ateca in a couple of years time.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Aww that's a shame but can understand why

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Maybe wait for the SEAT Arona, coming soon.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
It's planned for launch December 2017, so realistically you wouldn't get it till April 2018, unless launch is sales and they have pre-orders so like the Ateca you could order a couple of months early without seeing it and thus get it a few weeks after, that would be a so called "First Edition" like the Ateca, if they did t that way.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-paris-motor-show/seat-arona-confirmed-december-2017-release

I think that's what they mean by "launch". If you wanted to test drive it then delivery would be pushed back I'd say to the spring or if 1st December is launch then March.

I don't think there are many more details at this time. Suspect it will be unveiled spring / summer this year at a motoring show. Over to Freddie.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Alternatively, you could look at the Audi Q2, which is basically the same as the Arona will be, but more expensive. It's been getting good reviews.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts