Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a SEAT ATECA (Ecomotive Se Hatchback 1.0 Manual, petrol) October last year we had our car serviced by ATS and then two months latter - we got an “Error: start-stop system” fault message on the vehicle status screen, and the engine management warning came on and the car started driving with a “judder” we looked under the bonnet and found that the oil filler cap had been left off, and was still sat on the side of the engine compartment. Oil had gone everywhere so we took it straight back to ATS and they took the car and cleaned off the oil, said they’d flushed the engine and recharged the aircon as a goodwill gesture and cleared the codes and that the car appeared to be running well and we thought that would be it - but no - within a day or two we were back to square one and we took the car back to ATS 5 times - each time they said they'd sorted it - until the 5th visit when they changed their stance and said that the coil packs /spark plugs were “burnt out” and this had nothing to do with the oil and we would be required to pay to replace them - it felt like we were being lied to - so we left and took the car to a seat dealership and they found the spark plugs to be heavily contaminated by oil that had escaped from the uncapped filler inlet.

Despite the spark plugs having been replaced, after leaving the dealership within two journeys in the car the “Error: start-stop system” fault message on the vehicle status screen came back up, and the engine management warning came back on, and the car is back driving with a “judder”.

We are at our wits end, having rang the dealership they said the next step will be a major labour-intensive investigation, which will be very expensive.

Does anyone have any ideas about what is going on inside the car? Is there any suggestions for us dealing with this nightmare, we have contacted ATS customer service, but we have not received any response yet.

Any help in any way would be gratefully received.

Many thanks
Sarah

·
Registered
2 Posts
It doesn't help I realise that and I'm not being critical at all but over 40 years ago I was advised to check the oil and other liquids every week and still do both on my modern and classic cars. A quick weekly check would have spotted this and might have prevented the problems you have experienced.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Depending on what the "judder" is...i.e. rough running engine or the speed of the vehicle varying with clutch in and being driven...or something else....but I was wondering if the clutch plates may have been contaminated with the oil (not sure where that would be relative to where the oil was being thrown around in the engine bay). I assume if there was no oil warning light / temp warning at any point - so that should hopefully mean the level never got low enough to be a problem, I assume no-one checked dipstick when it was eventually discovered?I always check under the bonnet after a service after years ago discovering a mechanics wrench left on the rocker cover of my Carlton! Yes I told them about it and no he didn't get it back! :) PS. Just read the "flushed" the engine bit.....if this was them cleaning the engine bay with water/steam etc, there are some sensitive electronics under the bonnet these days, so hope they protected those.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts