Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ill admit the neighbours think im sad, i wash my car weekly, haha but it lets me keep on top of the car look for stone chips etc, anyway i have noticed that there are a few continual dirt traps.

I always wash on the inside of the doors (sils and around the door) and i thought i would just point out one of the most prominent dirt traps ive found, if left for a long time this could lead to corrosion.

Inside the rear doors: (photo taken yesterday after being cleaned the previous weekend and only done about 200miles last week since last full clean) also the photo is after a good pressure wash which shifted some of the dirt already)

Attachments

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
I did notice a gap in the door edge with the door open last week which I think you are talking about. It's a bit weird since you would expect it to be welded solid not to contain an open drain bit which you can see throu. Salt etc you would think would cause corrosion unless this is so sorted these days. Perhaps it serves a purpose and someone can explain.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Thanks Dunn. Will keep an eye on it

·
Registered
918 Posts
Dunn VAG Happy said:
So ill admit the neighbours think im sad, i wash my car weekly, haha but it lets me keep on top of the car look for stone chips etc, anyway i have noticed that there are a few continual dirt traps.

I always wash on the inside of the doors (sils and around the door) and i thought i would just point out one of the most prominent dirt traps ive found, if left for a long time this could lead to corrosion.

Inside the rear doors: (photo taken yesterday after being cleaned the previous weekend and only done about 200miles last week since last full clean) also the photo is after a good pressure wash which shifted some of the dirt already)
I'm same as you Dunn - weekly wash at minImum :D
I've noticed that area as well as the amount of dirt and grit that adheres to the rubber seal on the curvature of the rear arches against the door. I clean these each time with a small detailing brush, not the wash mitt to avoid dragging grit over paintwork. I've never seen this type of door seal arrangement before and I wonder if it was some later design changes from testing?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mcderms i thought it may be to reduce road noise or for a better closing, it does grab a lot of grit though, i have two wash mitts one for body work one for the plastic sills and around there now, (both lambs wool mitts) then soft microfibre brush for the alloys. The amount of detailing stuff i own though :lol:

·
Registered
918 Posts
Dunn VAG Happy said:
Mcderms i thought it may be to reduce road noise or for a better closing, it does grab a lot of grit though, i have two wash mitts one for body work one for the plastic sills and around there now, (both lambs wool mitts) then soft microfibre brush for the alloys. The amount of detailing stuff i own though :lol:
Me too - detailing is something I'm into in a big way; machine polishing a specialty :p

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Can't beat a man who pays attention to detail ;)

·
Registered
918 Posts
Saggy said:
Why, thank you, Ms Saggy ;)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Saggy said:
Cheers Saggy :D
Looking forward to the next dry mild day so i can get a good cleaning sesh, want to put another coat of HD wax on :cool:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi All,
Have posted a pic below of off- side rear door seal which has come away. Technician has ordered a new seal rather than attempting to stick it back. Recommend others keep an eye on theirs!

Attachments

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Thanks. It's down the bottom of there off picture where I can see light coming through how the door is fabricated. I thought that point is the one that VAG is talking about. Do you see light there ?.... unless I have something missing. Thought it was a weird drain spot.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My seal has also come loose i dabbed a bit of silicone on it for now, will get to the dealers if i can't find my fuse box (see another thread) bit of a poor design really.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts