Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up on something someone said in another thread about using the paddles to shift down when you need more power.
This got me thinking back to my test drives with the DSG gearbox.

On the DSG car I drove, I had a play with the paddles and indeed the paddles do override normal auto, but I was surprised that it didn't change back to auto after a while or change gear if revs went too high or low for safety. I had to move the lever from and back to auto to disengage the paddles.

On my current Leon DSG, I can put it in manual mode and it will sit in the gear I select but if I push it too hard it will change up to prevent damage or overheating - the Ateca I test drove didn't have the same behavior. It felt like I could thrash it or stall it while the paddles were being used.
There must be some fail safes built in still.

How do the paddles work on your cars, what is the correct operation?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
On mine it changes back to auto about a minute or so after the last paddle change. You can force it by pressing and holding the + paddle for a couple of seconds.

I haven't tried pushing it into the red with the paddles so I can't say whether it forces a change. It certainly does in Sport mode.

·
Registered
188 Posts
There are two ways to use the paddles:

"manual" mode - push the selector lever across the gate, you are then in control using either the selector lever (forward +, back -) or the paddles to change gear. I haven't used this mode much, but it sounds like that's the way you're using it. This may explain the not wanting to change down or up etc?

"override" mode - leave the selector lever in D (or S, if sport mode engaged). Flick the paddles to temporarily override the current gear selection and change up or down as appropriate. This puts the gearbox into a semi-manual mode where it holds the gear you selected (display in binnacle shows gear number on its own) but will still change up if you rev hard or down if you slow below the minimum engine speed for the selected gear. No paddle instruction for about 20 seconds or so will drop the box automatically back into D or S (binnacle shows Dn or Sn depending on normal or Sport mode) as will holding the right paddle for a second or two, or, I've found, pulling the selector lever back as if flipping between D and S mode that way. I find that sometimes Sport mode, while useful for a nippy getaway in traffic, will hold onto a lower gear than I'd prefer to be in - solution is that I flick the + paddle, gearbox drops into override mode and changes up a gear as requested, then goes back into auto mode retaining the selected gear (display shows 4 changing to S4, for example) 20 seconds later if I don't do anything else.

It's quite a clever bit of kit really...

·
Registered
579 Posts
I've only ever used flappy paddles on three occasions. The first was a Lamborghini Huracan LP-610 Spider, the second was a Ferrari 458 Italia Spider, and the third was a Nissan GTR. All on the same day :D. Although I'm sure the Ferrari would win my heart over time, the car of the day was by far the Lambo. Apart from the awesomely savage power, the noise from both Spiders was intoxicating. The only instructions I got was "That's up and that's down" except, for one lap with the Lambo, when the instructor shouted out "floor it, brake, up, down" all the way round and it was so much faster. My little tame Mitsubishi ASX never felt the same again :( .

·
Registered
283 Posts
I think I have used the paddles in my GTR 2 or 3 times. Not sure about the Ateca yet but the GTR has a tendency to not to like changing up beyond third until it warms up so the paddle can be useful for override there but otherwise the computer is much better at shifting gear than I am and I leave them alone.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, guess I wasn't being patient enough.
Good tip on holding + down to cancel paddle override, is this in the manual?

·
Registered
526 Posts
PaulT00 said:
There are two ways to use the paddles:

"manual" mode - push the selector lever across the gate, you are then in control using either the selector lever (forward +, back -) or the paddles to change gear. I haven't used this mode much, but it sounds like that's the way you're using it. This may explain the not wanting to change down or up etc?

"override" mode - leave the selector lever in D (or S, if sport mode engaged). Flick the paddles to temporarily override the current gear selection and change up or down as appropriate. This puts the gearbox into a semi-manual mode where it holds the gear you selected (display in binnacle shows gear number on its own) but will still change up if you rev hard or down if you slow below the minimum engine speed for the selected gear. No paddle instruction for about 20 seconds or so will drop the box automatically back into D or S (binnacle shows Dn or Sn depending on normal or Sport mode) as will holding the right paddle for a second or two, or, I've found, pulling the selector lever back as if flipping between D and S mode that way. I find that sometimes Sport mode, while useful for a nippy getaway in traffic, will hold onto a lower gear than I'd prefer to be in - solution is that I flick the + paddle, gearbox drops into override mode and changes up a gear as requested, then goes back into auto mode retaining the selected gear (display shows 4 changing to S4, for example) 20 seconds later if I don't do anything else.

It's quite a clever bit of kit really...
yup this is pretty much identical to the DSG I have in my 7 yr old golf. I would say it's more like 10 secs tho rather than 20 secs to go back into auto from the override mode.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
I only use the paddles by accident when my fingers hit the paddles on roundabouts whilst feeding the wheel through your hand. Happened twice now and I get stuck in gear. I know Freddie said do something... ah +. Will also try Paul's method of flipping the stick as well. I'll have to test those out so I have the procedure noted. On both occasions I've pulled over rather than racing along in the wrong gear.

Pitty you can't turn the paddles off to stop these accidental fix gear issues. I never use the paddles or the up / down on the stick. 190 makes good progress in auto. I use to use it for engine braking in my old DSG once per year but so far it's seems to handle engine braking well on steep decents so I haven't intentionally overiden auto.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
It handles down hill gradients as that is part of the new software - it's hill descent control in effect.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Fred99 said:
It handles down hill gradients as that is part of the new software - it's hill descent control in effect.
I thought I had HDC?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Yes, you do have it on the 4WD versions. What I am assuming is that the same system in a minor way controls the DSG gears on the way down a hill on a 2WD version.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts