Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the beginning of the journey into production. The vehicle will show on the Dealer's system as 'factory ordered'. This means it will be given a build week as soon as a slot becomes available.

The scheduled build week is determined by the specification of the order, versus the build allocation for that particular model at Factory level. At this stage the scheduled build week can move forward or backward, as the Factory looks for an available build slot for the order. (Ps lead times have nit changed since end of February they told me and clarified that expected lead time then was 17 weeks)

Seat would then add a further five weeks on to this for the building of the vehicle and the transportation from the Factory to the Dealership.

A vehicle will only confirm for production four weeks before its scheduled build date. From this point, accurate estimates can be given to you, as the order is locked into the system and will not move.

An accurate timescale is only available when the order reaches this second stage of its journey. When this happens, the system will show the order as being 'production confirmed'. This also means the order cannot be amended in any way.

Depending on the model and specification, a new car can take up to ten days to build. The assembly passes through eight checkpoints - Checkpoint 8 is when the vehicle passes through Quality Control before leaving the Factory.

The car is then transported to the port either by rail or road. The Ateca is shipped to the UK from Emden in Germany.

All vehicles which arrive at Barcelona and Emden show as 'awaiting ship'. Orders can wait up to 14 days to be loaded onto a boat for the UK.

The container ships which make the deliveries can carry several thousand units, this also contributes to a possible two week wait as the units are loaded.

Each port in the UK receives between one and two ships from Emden each week. If the ship arrives during the working week, vehicles take on average 24 hours to be unloaded. The car can wait for up to one week to be assigned to a transporter for delivery to the Dealer. While the three UK distribution centres are not as large as the operation in Emden, they are vast sites in their own right and once again this explains the reason a vehicle can spend up to a week at the port of entry.

When the car is unloaded, it is then stored awaiting preliminary inspection. When this has been completed, the vehicle will show as being in the UK. The system will then generate a transport order.

The vehicle then travels to the Dealership by road transport using one of the Brand's contractors, ECM Autologic, Brit-European.

The timescale for delivery is three-five working days, which can be prolonged during peak months, specifically March and September when new vehicle registration numbers are generated by the DVLA. When the vehicle arrives at the Dealership they carry out a Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI).

The PDI is carried out to ensure the vehicle meets current road standard legislation. During the inspection, the Dealer will also verify that the car has been supplied as ordered, with all systems functioning and all legal requirements met.

The inspection consists of:
• Checking that all of the vehicle's systems are functioning correctly
• Checking oil levels, brake fluid, screen wash etc are correct
• Making sure the car has been built as ordered - i.e. to the correct specification and with the options the customer ordered
• Registering and taxing the vehicle, fitting number plates and displaying tax discs

When these final checks are completed, the vehicle is ready to be handed over to the customer and the vehicle's journey is complete.

PS I have just today been i formed that they expect me have a confirmed build week by the end of May week 22, which would be four weeks before the build date. I was told on the phone yesterday something similar as the factory would be ready for new models.....

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
That was an enjoyable read. They missed out the bit that after the car has arrived in the UK, been inspected the onus is on the dealer to put a request in for transport.

I see builds they say can now be upto 10 days, use to be 5 so may be with the early misbuilds they have beefed that up into more checking.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Wow Missy that was a very comprehensive and full description of the cars journey :D
Its a pity we can't make posts like this sticky as very useful for people and answers questions often asked. Where did you get all the info from? Did you piece it together from here and other sites? :)

G

·
missy said:
A vehicle will only confirm for production four weeks before its scheduled build date. From this point, accurate estimates can be given to you, as the order is locked into the system and will not move.
PS I have just today been i formed that they expect me have a confirmed build week by the end of May week 22, which would be four weeks before the build date.
That four weeks must be maximum, not minimum. In my case, build week was confirmed 5 April and it showed that production will be between 13 - 18 April, but actually it was built 10 - 12 April. So there was just 7 days between build week confirmation and car being ready.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
My dealer managed to do the PDI etc., including fitting all the stick on trims in less than 24 hours.

After waiting 6 months he knew I was not happy to wait around!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Great read Missy it's nice to find about the back ground stuff that goes on, but there is many places where it can fall down and stop or slow the car's arrival.
John

·
Registered
160 Posts
Great post Missy, that information will be very useful for members who have recently placed orders.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The information was provided by the Seat Executive department in an email as they seemed to think I was confused about why cars take X weeks to build when I was really trying to figure out all the discrepancies and delays - and still no build date so far after 2 months.

Still useful information for newbies especially

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
That's since you will get the actual build week date a month before if you ask. So as things stand that's

= 31 - 4

= 27 week for the build week to become solid

https://www.epochconverter.com/weeks/2017

E.g. First week of July unless they reschedule the provisional build date again.

Not too long to wait....

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wish!!

Anyhow some extra information from them today. The Executive Office have been great at responding and explaining the issue. Much the confusion and stresses I, and many others, have experienced could have been laid to rest if only such information had been made readily available. Same for other model cars I guess although with some tweaks regarding ports and maybe time-frame.

Anyhow some extra bit of information:

The scheduled build week can move forward or backwards numerous times, sometimes within the same day. This is due to the Factory looking for available build slots for the order; again this is all done electronically and not manually.

Soooo that kind of explains it although the Seat Customer Service people need to also have such information and pass it on and not just add to confusion with their lack of knowledge or reluctance to provide anything more that 'hold the line' and 'unconfirmed build date x' and without knowing why or what next. Providing information such as this as part of the buying process is not a difficult thing for Seat to do and would save hours of wasted time for customer making enquiries, ease pressure off dealers and the calls to customer service. An online tracking would be good obviously...

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
I'd get some packets of herbal tea in to bide the time away and some hobnobs. I think you just lob off four weeks from each provisional build date and take that as the one to check against. Obviously they are moving your provisional build date around so much it's frustrating you.

The hold the line bit is when they speak to the person who accesses the system then obviously you think you have solid facts. I can say mine never changed from the provisional build date over the period. I just left it till one month before and checked that provisional turned into firm. I can't but help think they are frigging the provisional build dates around perhaps as the country arms of Seat express their case, may be ?.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well it has been a shambles to be honest and Seat whilst explaining it all away and hinting that it is useful training material etc still gives leaves impression of 'here is our explanation how it shoukd work and this is where we are now' without any real concern about the shambles I have lived through.

If I knew I was going to have all the hassle, lack of information and numerous fob-offs and discrepancies I would have steered clear of anything Seat. It is a bit galling also that the dealership insisted on keeping my deposit if I wanted to cancel despite telling porkey pies about week 19 build and few other things and shennanigans with disappearing salesman. I have lost confidence in them as a dealership and not really looking forward to having to deal with them when I do eventually collect the car. Dreading it to be honest.

And regarding hobnobs - not my thing. Red wine and chocolate will do nicely... :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think that you've been treated appallingly by SEAT and your dealership. It's terrible that they have fobbed you off so many times and I do feel your frustration. I can only hope that when you eventually receive your car that you will totally love it, like the majority of us here on the forum.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Minnie said:
I think that you've been treated appallingly by SEAT and your dealership. It's terrible that they have fobbed you off so many times and I do feel your frustration. I can only hope that when you eventually receive your car that you will totally love it, like the majority of us here on the forum.
^^ What Minnie said :)

Have you located your nearest alternative dealer? This has been Seat's problem in the UK for a long time now - their dealerships are very, very hit and miss. Once you find a good one though customer service is excellent (usually).

Really interesting read on the Spiel and in other news, given the new 2018 models go into production May/June time you may get an updated spec model full of little tweaks to the niggles that bothered the early adopters! (Here's hoping at least).

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
You'll have to put it behind you when you get it, like I never bear a grudge to the car after Seat misbuild it ;).

Seems to me that the UK could be slipping down the ranks of getting the car. Whilst other Europeans were waiting we were getting ours unless you wanted it in orange or with the 1.4 TSI. Hmmm.

Seat dealers are a pain since they change hands frequently although the one I had for 10 years was good although they changed hands three or so times. Then the one I moved to locally turned out to be diabolical so I bought my new car from a dealer 20 miles away. Looking at the Seat Wales map I think Missy is a bit unlucky that dealers are thin in the north, just one, one in the middle and thick in the south, so I guess quite a journey to the next one.

(White wine, cheese and bread with some grapes and nuts)

·
Registered
218 Posts
missy said:
The Executive Office have been great at responding and explaining the issue.
I'm pleased that you are now getting reliable information. The Executive Office were a godsend helping to resolve the problem with my missing key! They have much more clout to get things resolved and they do keep you fully informed. I'm still getting almost daily calls with updates and I also received my compo cheque in the post today!! :D :D

missy said:
An online tracking would be good obviously...
Audi and VW have this facility, therefore you would have thought that it should be something fairly easy for SEAT to implement considering they are part of the VW Group. It would surely reduce the demands on the Customer Service call centre. :roll:

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Well done on the cheque Jonny. Perhaps my old mate who headed up customer services moved to there, she was very good.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well - the only thing I am getting off SEat is the weekly executive office email (for which I am grateful).

The latest is that the E Office says the unconfirmed 'delivery' (not build!??) is week 31!!

The dealer says the unconfirmed build week is no longer 38 but 35... build week. Seat Customer Service say the same.

So who knows whether anybody there knows.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Lucky you getting a weekly newsletter. It is coming down thou although I think you have been at week 31 before from memory.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Sounds as though the date is moving in the right direction for you. Given how rubbish Seat comms seem to be, I would have more faith in dates the EO send you than anyone else!

Here's hoping that date gets even earlier for you :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts