Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive just read an article in the Express on-line concerning the growing trend of Keyless Entry car hacking. Apparently, thieves can buy a gadget from Amazon or EBay for £80 and the list of hackable cars include the SEAT Ateca among a long list of others.
I don't have Keyless Entry myself but please be aware if you have.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Always make sure the cars locks itself - dont just walk away :)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Need to keep your key in metal box at home away from the door to help stop the signal been amplified by using these radio devices available on ebay etc. Of course there is nothing stopping anyone simple cloning your keyfob (normal or keyless) using one of these devices while you go and lock your car.

I very much doubt however anyone will target a SEAT however good looking the Ateca is, BMW X5 or Audi Q5 yes but a SEAT?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Minnie said:
Ive just read an article in the Express on-line concerning the growing trend of Keyless Entry car hacking. Apparently, thieves can buy a gadget from Amazon or EBay for £80 and the list of hackable cars include the SEAT Ateca among a long list of others.
I don't have Keyless Entry myself but please be aware if you have.
Thanks for the warning but i think this has been discussed before.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Keyless-Entry-Fob-Guard-Signal-Blocker-Faraday-Bag-Theft-Prevention-/171953484733

Thats what every keyless entry car owner should have minimum. There are also many other ways to protect your car. So issue is not new and if taken correct steps by car owner.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have a RFID wallet which stops the sign. I bought it to stop people scanning my contactless dept cards. I have also herd leaving you keys in the microwave 😂 Just don't switch it on.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Hmm, my plan was not to use keyless entry but I wanted the powered boot so was forced to choose it. If I turn off keyless entry from the on board computer, does that mean that the virtual pedal no longer works?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi - I have also read and heard of increasing numbers of thefts relating to keyless systems, although none specifically name SEAT. Although high end vehicles tend to be the target - Range Rover, BMW, Mercedes etc. - lower value vehicles also being targeted, Ford Focus and Fiesta especially. I assume that thefts are not just for selling on/shipping out but also for spare parts on popular models like Fords. I don't think the Ateca is a real target right now in terms selling on, but in terms of the engine it shares with VW, Skoda etc could make it a target. I may be completely wrong in this line of thought, and stand to be corrected, but this does concern me a bit. For that reason I have decided to resort to ye olde trusted Disklok. Yes, it's heavy, a bit of a pain but is giving me peace of mind as I know it will need someone with an angle grinder to remove - and that will take them time and create loads of noise. Chances are they will simply see the Disklok and not bother. You can also take the view that car theft is a fact of life and that is what insurance is for, but we all know losing your car and getting a replacement is going to be very painful, time consuming and expensive.

If anyone is interested, you can see info around the Disklok here

http://www.disklokuk.co.uk/

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Gavlar... I just have to say it in "that voice" every time I read your name !!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Does the faraday pouch disable signals between car and key as well though? Cos it seems like it would be defeating the purpose of keyless entry then

·
Registered
73 Posts
SparK said:
Does the faraday pouch disable signals between car and key as well though? Cos it seems like it would be defeating the purpose of keyless entry then
The pouch would stop the signal from the car getting to the key fob so in order to use the keyless entry and electronic ignition, you would need to take the key out... So yes it does defeat the point and you wouldn't be able to leave the key in a pocket /bag and forget about it..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Don't suppose there is a way of disabling keyless entry then?

It is a feature i could live without to be fair.

How does it affect battery life if you away for long periods?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts