Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Grrrr ..... keys locked on boot again!!
I am heartily sick of this. Not for the first time, keys locked in boot. Opened boot with keyless, shut, walked away, locked. Two things - how can I stop this happening and can I get the keyless disabled?
I love my Ateca but this is so annoying, come on Seat give us a permanent solution.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are joking of course, not funny. Why do we do things without thinking. Know what I mean?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Am i missing something here ? My car key ring has my front door key on it as well. I go out, lock my front door, and the keys go in my pocket, and they dont come out again untill i am unlocking my front door when i get in

·
Registered
39 Posts
Happened to my brother in law with his brand new Octavia at a motorway services.
Got out, put his keys in his jacket pocket, then decided that he didn't need his jacket on, so opened the boot to put it away from prying eyes, shut boot and then remembered the keys were still in his pocket, just as he heard the central locking go 'clunk'🤬

·
Registered
420 Posts
It's not a new thing, most saloons / hatchbacks have done this for years, where you can open the boot, often with a separate button on the remote or even with the key itself, although I wasn't aware of it as we had estate cars and they didn't relock. I had to rescue my FIL when he did it some years ago with his Ford Focus using the boot open button on the remote.

On VAG cars with keyless the hazard lights flash a few times to warn you but you may not notice and even if you do you probably don't realise why. After a few seconds delay the boot locks. Daughter has done on hers - key in her bag, bag in the boot to keep it safe, slam, flash, lock! Luckily she was only 3 miles away.

It seems completely bonkers to me. If you have a power boot lid it doesn't do it, the boot just closes and then opens again.

·
Registered
Seat Ateca Xperience 1.5 DSG, Rhodium Grey, 2021 / 71
58 Posts
Ive had my Ateca for 8 months and first keyless car I have had. Never had a problem with locking / unlocking.
Simply don't out your keys in the boot if you don't want them locked in there. As previously said just keep them in your pocket, isn't that the idea of keyless!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Happened to my brother in law with his brand new Octavia at a motorway services.
Got out, put his keys in his jacket pocket, then decided that he didn't need his jacket on, so opened the boot to put it away from prying eyes, shut boot and then remembered the keys were still in his pocket, just as he heard the central locking go 'clunk'🤬
Exactly what has happened to me. I opened the boot (keyless) but not the rest of the car. Slammed boot and that was it. Oh dear. I have resolved not to use the boot separately and open all doors.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ive had my Ateca for 8 months and first keyless car I have had. Never had a problem with locking / unlocking.
Simply don't out your keys in the boot if you don't want them locked in there. As previously said just keep them in your pocket, isn't that the idea of keyless!
Great idea. I'm female and don't often have key pockets, usually handbag (in golf bag). Now wearing key round my neck!!;)

·
Registered
278 Posts
It's not a new thing, most saloons / hatchbacks have done this for years, where you can open the boot, often with a separate button on the remote or even with the key itself, although I wasn't aware of it as we had estate cars and they didn't relock. I had to rescue my FIL when he did it some years ago with his Ford Focus using the boot open button on the remote.

On VAG cars with keyless the hazard lights flash a few times to warn you but you may not notice and even if you do you probably don't realise why. After a few seconds delay the boot locks. Daughter has done on hers - key in her bag, bag in the boot to keep it safe, slam, flash, lock! Luckily she was only 3 miles away.

It seems completely bonkers to me. If you have a power boot lid it doesn't do it, the boot just closes and then opens again.
Im not sure you’re correct in your assertions - though depends on just how many years. My 2006 ans 2014 Audi’s (not keyless) wouldn’t lock if you shut the keys inside. In fact the only time I’ve experienced a car locking itself is if I unlock it and then don’t open a door within the set time limit - then it re-locks. Why would any car decide to lock itself without prompting in any other situation, especially with keys inside, which we know the keyless ones sense.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Im not sure you’re correct in your assertions - though depends on just how many years. My 2006 ans 2014 Audi’s (not keyless) wouldn’t lock if you shut the keys inside. In fact the only time I’ve experienced a car locking itself is if I unlock it and then don’t open a door within the set time limit - then it re-locks. Why would any car decide to lock itself without prompting in any other situation, especially with keys inside, which we know the keyless ones sense.
Well, we had a 2011 Golf in the family and that certainly had a separate button the remote (as indeed does my wife's 2015 Tiguan, I have the fob in front of me) which unlocks the rear hatch without unlocking the rest of the car. Open the hatch, put the keys down while you fumble with stuff, slam the hatch and it's locked. I can't remember the year of the Focus that my FIL did the same thing with but thinking back through his car histor it would have been something like 2004.

I can't magine why non-keyless fobs would prevent the car from locking? They're dumb until the button is pressed and there's no antenna system in the car, as there is with keyless, to detect them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update - dealer informs me disabling keyless is not an option.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I sympathise as it happened to me too. Not at services but supermarket car park. It's an awful sinking feeling when you relise what has just happened. I was very luck in that keys were on drivers seat and Green Flag man (bless him) got a wire in and retrieved them. Phew !!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I sympathise as it happened to me too. Not at services but supermarket car park. It's an awful sinking feeling when you relise what has just happened. I was very luck in that keys were on drivers seat and Green Flag man (bless him) got a wire in and retrieved them. Phew !!
My B-I-L had to to phone his wife, who had to leave work, go home to retrieve spare key and drive the 100 odd miles to the services. Luckily he had some cash in his pocket or else he'd probably also got a ticket for exceeding the free parking time limit.
He was not exactly flavour of the month 😒
He did subsequently find a way to disable the auto locking so maybe it's also possible with the Ateca, despite what your dealer says.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So so
My B-I-L had to to phone his wife, who had to leave work, go home to retrieve spare key and drive the 100 odd miles to the services. Luckily he had some cash in his pocket or else he'd probably also got a ticket for exceeding the free parking time limit.
He was not exactly flavour of the month 😒
He did subsequently find a way to disable the auto locking so maybe it's also possible with the Ateca, despite what your dealer says.
So sorry it was such a long drive. Luckily I have, so far, been relatively close to home. 🤞

·
Registered
278 Posts
I don't think mine does autolock on exit (2020 PFL Cupra Ateca) - I'm sure I've left it unlocked overnight in error. And anyway, if it autolocks on exit I'm guessing it's sensing the lack of key in order to do so - and if the key is still inside the vehicle it won't autolock? Perhaps the boot is out of range if the particular sensor.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Just tried locking key in boot on purpose in my 2017 Ateca and it refuses to lock the tailgate when closed with a key placed in the boot. The boot was opened just using keyless (no fob press). On closing it, the indicators rapidly flash and minutes later I can still open boot again (rest of car locked) and retrieve key no problem. So not sure what is different about mine other than it does what I'd expect.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Is the boot locked if you approach it without the keyless fob!

Sound odd - the flashing is supposed to warn you it's about to lock.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts