Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Just tried locking key in boot on purpose in my 2017 Ateca and it refuses to lock the tailgate when closed with a key placed in the boot. The boot was opened just using keyless (no fob press). On closing it, the indicators rapidly flash and minutes later I can still open boot again (rest of car locked) and retrieve key no problem. So not sure what is different about mine other than it does what I'd expect.
I suspect it's non-KESSY keys that can get locked in the boot / car by accident.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I suspect it's non-KESSY keys that can get locked in the boot / car by accident.
I was wrong-ish... this is from my owners manual, and refers to KESSY..

If the vehicle is locked and then all doors and
the rear lid are closed leaving the last key
used inside the vehicle and none outside,
the vehicle will not lock immediately. All the
vehicle's indicator lights will flash four times.
The vehicle will lock after a few seconds if
you do not open any door or the rear lid.

So you have to lock, then shut the doors with the key inside if I read that correctly. Not sure I'd ever do that deliberately.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My relatives Seat Ateca Xperience? 2021 with KESSY also had the same issue - keys would get locked in the car and boot would immediately lock, despite the "Key in vehicle" warning on the dash - RAC chap said he has had a fair few of these happen (mainly keys in boot). This also happened if you shut the boot after opening using the key only (car locked, opening with boot latch only, or using the remote key). This is in contrast to my 2015 Skoda Octavia (non KESSY), where the boot remains unlocked for 30 seconds post shutting it, if you open with the key button.

The solution, after much fiddling: Using OBDEleven, I found that changing two settings to active in Module 09 (Central Electrics) -> ZV Heck appeared to fix the issue:

Freigabenachlauf Heck nach Einzeloeffnung ueber HDF-Funktaster
"Release follow-up rear after individual opening via HDF radio button"

and

Nach externer Verriegelung ist Heck noch zeitbegrenzt entriegelt
"After external locking, the rear is still unlocked for a limited time"

Both were inactive, and when changed to active, the boot no longer locks immediately upon closing if you have opened with the key button, or by pulling the latch with the key in your bag (which you then stick in the boot). If you open the boot, then lock the car with the remote, it will lock immediately on closing.

Font Electric blue Technology Screenshot Electronic device

As the RAC chap also advised, we're going to get a bladed key or two cut to keep as spares in different places, at least then if they do ever happen to get locked in the car again we can open it to get in the boot!

Edit: Clarified model (Xperience, not Xcellence).

·
Registered
420 Posts
So you have to lock, then shut the doors with the key inside if I read that correctly. Not sure I'd ever do that deliberately.
I didn't think the doors would lock, but the description seems to indicate they would.

Anyway, the main issue is with the rear hatch. That certainly relocks itself. To be fair, this is just as it would do with standard remote central locking or even with an old-fashioned standard key, if you only opened the hatch / boot.

I expect that's the reason it re-locks itself - it's been designed to do because it's always done it, I guess so people don't walk away thinking the hatch is locked as next thing they'd be yelling at VW Group after they had all their stuff nicked.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyway, the main issue is with the rear hatch. That certainly relocks itself. To be fair, this is just as it would do with standard remote central locking or even with an old-fashioned standard key, if you only opened the hatch / boot.

I expect that's the reason it re-locks itself - it's been designed to do because it's always done it, I guess so people don't walk away thinking the hatch is locked as next thing they'd be yelling at VW Group after they had all their stuff nicked.
But not on other VAG models (I believe for some time), it's possibly just since KESSY (and possibly a change SEAT made to the standard vehicle coding?). The interior alarm does set though before the boot closing times out if you open it a couple of times.

A friend has a 20 plate Skoda Kodiak with KESSY, and their boot remains re-openable for a bit afterwards.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts