Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I expect that, by now, there are a number of members with cars fitted with this option.

I am interested to know just what it is capable of. I know it is primarily there to help keep you in the centre of a well defined lane, usually on a multi carriageway road, but just how far does it go with regard to autonomous driving?

Many similar systems just give you a warning if you are straying out of your lane, but the VAG version claims to steer the car for you. I'm sure it is very effective on a straight section, but how does it handle a bendy road and at what speed?

I can't imagine myself sitting there and letting it take away my enjoyment of handling the car myself, but with the advent of cars like the Tesla that claim to be almost autonomous, I am interested to know how good the system is.

Sadly I still have another 10 weeks or more before I can try it for myself, so I am interested in the experience other owners have had.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I´ve tried it and it stiffens up the steering as well as small adjustments in small bends. When it comes to a curve it tells you to take over the steering. No self-driving unless the road is straight, with only minor, long bends.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Ditto. I'm not using it since I prefer to drive the car myself. No good on bendy country roads. The camera is behind the front rear mirror and looks for lane markings. Kicks in at 40mph from memory, display turns to green and it's working when it sees the road, amber otherwise.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's really an assistance. The car makes small adjustments to keep you in the center of the lane. Don't expect that the car will make a bigger curve on its own. Most of the time it's disable the lane assist at that moment.

It's great for small adjustments. You definitely feel it and it's great on highways. That's probably also the reason why it only works when driving more 65 Km/h.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Then if you want to miss a pothole it gives you resistance.

One of these days I'm going to check which options I think are invaluable that I payed for and which I don't use, to see whether they are mixed around the options or all bundled together.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Neovo said:
It's great for small adjustments. You definitely feel it and it's great on highways. That's probably also the reason why it only works when driving more 65 Km/h.
It does work below 65kph if you have DSG - it morphs into Traffic Jam Assist.

Does it keep you in the middle of the lane all the time or does it only steer if you get too close to the white lines?

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Not answering the question but that was the issue of how traffic assist presented itself to you, it's pretty hidden in the menus as the the screen terminology doesn't tally with the menu. I'd say it steers in a straight line myself. It's only suppose to be used in jams. Certainly Lane Assist isn't activated below 40 MPH so I can't say it's going to be steering, just accelerating and deaccelerating plus stopping. When I'd did try it, it's was a bit wild. Think if a motorway crawl OK.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I leave it on al of the time and most of the time it is active and helpful to ensure that you are in the middle of your lane. In sharp bends it deactivates as it cannot judge where 'the lane' is, but otherwise it is amazing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.