Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've order a Ateca XCELLENCE 2.0 TDI 4Drive 150 PS 6-speed manual. I've ordered it in Austria and get it in June.
Does anyone know if this car can be trickle charged? The owners manual I have downloaded is silent (which is odd). I might be away for a few months at a time and the car would be in a garage. I don't want to disconnect the battery and have electronics stuffed. Any advice much appreciated, I'll call a local UK dealer to check but the Austrian salesman was not sure.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Why would it maybe not be?

That's a genuine question, not a sarcastic one

The ex used to trickle charge the motorbikes and I always presumed you could trickle charge any battery

Interested in learning here :)

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Honest John always says trickle charge on his Q&A Telegraph Motoring pages.

·
Registered
338 Posts
It doesn't matter what car it is. It's the battery that your charging. Just make sure that you get a trickle charger that can be left on for longer periods and doesn't over charge the battery. Also make sure that the place where you're storing it is well ventilated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks people for the replies! I have a trickle charger on another car that I plug in through the cigarette lighter. Assuming I have the approved SEAT one then it should work the same way? Must call a service dealer soon about it.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Not so sure your trickle charger will work through the cigarette lighter since that's isolated during power down, so there won't be a circuit. Clips to the battery would however work :).

·
Registered
338 Posts
SnowAteca said:
Thanks people for the replies! I have a trickle charger on another car that I plug in through the cigarette lighter. Assuming I have the approved SEAT one then it should work the same way? Must call a service dealer soon about it.
Totally Confused dot com!

So you would trickle charge from another vehicles battery to keep the other vehicles battery charged? Surely that would leave you with potentially 2 flat batteries if the first vehicles battery runs down? :?

·
Banned
2,739 Posts

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
They must be....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.