Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to travel to continent Europe from Ireland. I have full LED

Previously I've used stickers like Eurolites to cover/convert beam to not blind oncoming traffic.

Now I'm not sure if that can be used on full LED lights. There is few diodes in each light which makes the beam shape different than bulbs.

Is there any way to change the beam?

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
You need to do nothing. The LEDs are covered by a temporary travel regulation that they pass. If you ever moved to the continent with the car you would have to have the LEDs changed. You can wave the man on who's trying to sell you the bits.

I mused over it last August, the key word is "tourist lights"

http://atecaforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=177&p=870&hilit=Deflectors#p870

Now page 140-141 of the Ateca new manual says

Driving abroad

The light beam of the dipped beam lights is
asymmetric: the side of the road on which
you are driving is lit more intensely.

When a car that is manufactured in a country
that drives on the right travels to a country
that drives on the left (or vice versa), it is nor-
mally necessary to cover part of the headlight
bulbs with stickers or to change the adjust-
ment of the headlights to avoid dazzling oth-
er drivers.

In such cases, the regulations specify certain
light values that must be complied with for
designated points of the light distribution.
This is known as "Tourist light".

The light distribution of the halogen and full-
LED headlights allows the specific "tourist
light" values to be met without the need for
stickers or changes in the settings.

Note

"Tourist light" is only allowed temporarily. If
you are planning a long stay in a country that
drives on the other side, you should take the
vehicle to an Authorised Technical Service to
change the headlights.
So you need to do nothing, which is what I did at Xmas.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I came across this part of manual but didn't get it correctly.
I didn't know how to get into 'tourist mode'.

Hope police in France know this term too ;)

Now it's clear. Thanks Tell!

BTW the same should apply to other equipment.
For example in France it's mandatory to have breathalyser, in Germany - first aid kit, in Spain - two warning triangles, in Poland - fire extinguisher, in Czechia - spare bulbs etc... in Ireland - nothing...

From I heard there is a Vienna convention which describes that you have to carry only things which are mandatory in the country the car is registered in. In other countries you are a tourist and unless car is moved/registered permanently the other requirements don't apply.

The problem is that police not always know this and not speaking your language... (or you theirs)

Any thoughs?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Just take a look at any left hand drive vehicle from Europe and see how many have these 'beam deflectors' fitted when they drive over here. NONE!!

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
I previously used them with a clip on headlight protector then you stuck the black film inside, put it back onto the paper and repeated each time I travelled abroad.

Not too sure about the Vienna agreement I travel with an out of date fire extinguisher (check), out of date French breathalyser (check), one triangle not Spain, two vests. No spare bulbs now unless I put my reversing back in, first aid kit, two. I think with full LED pressing it to carry spares although the indicators at the back aren't. Fogs etc.

Breathalyser stuff in France they aren't applying. I think you were suppose to carry it when it came in Honest John made a big fuss about in the Telegraph, then they relaxed it's application. You can buy that on Ebay.

I take the registration document, insurance etc together with the out of date bits :). Oh is that out of date will be my answer if it ever comes up.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hah, same with me.. Bought a lot of stuff before my first trip then it eventually got outdated... Not going to buy anything now... All out of date... extinguisher, breathalysers, first aid too...
Triangle (one) could be not expired yet :lol:

LEDs sorted so I'm ready to go ;)

·
Registered
128 Posts
pch said:
Hah, same with me.. Bought a lot of stuff before my first trip then it eventually got outdated... Not going to buy anything now... All out of date... extinguisher, breathalysers, first aid too...
Triangle (one) could be not expired yet :lol:

LEDs sorted so I'm ready to go ;)
If you're planning to drive into the major German cities, you'll need to buy a green sticker to show that your car meets the required emission laws.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Looking at this it doesn't cover Euro 6 so it doesn't apply

http://www.tuev-sued.de/auto_fahrzeuge/feinstaub-plakette/feinstaubplakette_ausland/england

Then there is the blue badge not established yet which does cover Euro 6

http://www.environmental-badge.co.uk/en/environmental-badge.html

This EU site seems a handy site

http://urbanaccessregulations.eu/userhome/access-regulations-low-emission-zone-quick-guide

Hamburg and Trier are fine. So you just try out where you are going. Covers all of Europe.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

Indeed I'm going to visit Berlin and Amsterdam but the plan was to stay in suburb and use public transport where possible.
Need to read more to avoid problems...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Tell said:
Looking at this it doesn't cover Euro 6 so it doesn't apply
Some useful links there Tell but, for clarification, the green Euro4 sticker still applies even if you have a Euro6 car. It appears that they are introducing a blue Euro6 sticker for sub-zones within the existing green zones, i.e. inner city centres. Even if you have a Euro6 car, if you want to drive into the affected cities (nearly all) you will still need to get a green sticker until the blue sticker is introduced. Once the blue sticker is introduced, if you have a Euro6 car, it will replace the green sticker and you will be able to drive to the heart of the city. Trust me, if you don't have the green sticker and you are spotted inside the green zone by the Polizei, you will be find. For the record, the sticker goes in the bottom RH corner of the windscreen, looking from the inside.

As it happens, I am travelling to Germany next week (without the car). I'll get it from the horse's mouth and report back.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Thanks for drawing attention to it. Normally I don't venture into large German cities by car, Koln is the only one. Frankfurt stayed outside and caught the train in. So unless one does a stop off onroute staying at a hotel bang in the city should miss out on this. Koln was nice. The hotel prices go up logically in the centre, a driving force, but decided to take in what Koln had to offer, the river bridges, eating out, beer gardens and back to the hotel.

I've bookmarked those sites.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts