Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My Ateca (1.4 Ecotsi Xcellence, spare wheel, driver's pack 1 and floor for the boot, in Rodium Grey) is due sometime in June and I have not yet decided on any service plan, or discussed it with the dealer.

As quoted in the booklets, servicing for 2 years is £378 and 3 years is £498.

A few questions for you Ateca fans -

Has anyone yet taken out a service plan?

Has anyone yet had to pay out for any faults during the first year?

If the car is handed back after 36 months, are you obliged to have the 3rd minor service before handing back?

I don't think these points have been discussed on the forum, and this is my first post, so be gentle.

Billio

·
Registered
241 Posts
I've not taken out a service plan, but it wasn't actually mentioned by the dealer. I did have a plan on my last two cars (VW Polo and BMW 1 series). Both were worthwhile, but there are often exceptions, like regassing the air conditioning, or sometimes brake fluid changes, so check the small print carefully. VW didn't include the brake fluid change, but BMW did.

My dad used to change his cars every three years and as the service was due as he was changing he didn't have it done. The dealer will assume you won't and that may be worked into any trade in offer, or return value on a finance scheme.

One other thing to bear in mind is your mileage. The plans will be for a certain number of years or distance whichever comes first. If your mileage means you'd need the third service before three years you'd be better off doing that.

I've not had any faults, but I'd expect the warranty to be picking up those.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi NeilW

Thanks for the reply. I have specified 10,000 on a lease and currently only average 8-9,000, I imagine it might go up a bit once the Ateca arrives.

I'll wait to see what the others say. I have noticed just about every other poster has had some minor faults and said they would return the car to the dealer to check, it is their comments I am interested in as to whether they had to pay anything.

G

·
If you are taking a 36 month lease or personal contract hire, then you are obliged to have the third service and the MOT done at the point of returning the vehicle, so at your cost.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I took out a service plan with the dealer, it's 0% APR and not exactly crippling in terms of monthly payments. From what I can gather, SEAT services are quite expensive so I'm more than happy to use a plan.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Billio said:
Hi NeilW

Thanks for the reply. I have specified 10,000 on a lease and currently only average 8-9,000, I imagine it might go up a bit once the Ateca arrives.

I'll wait to see what the others say. I have noticed just about every other poster has had some minor faults and said they would return the car to the dealer to check, it is their comments I am interested in as to whether they had to pay anything.
Hi Billio,

If you're taking a new car the manufacturers warranty would cover any components that are not generic wear and tear items.

You will have to pay for the service itself but any faults coming to light during the service should be covered under the manufacturers warranty for parts and labour for the first 3 or 4 years (can't remember off the top of my head what the warranty life is on the Ateca).

Cheers

Fitz

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. It's a bit of a shame to pay for a service and an MOT on a car that you might not be driving the next day, but if that is the contract, so be it.

The plans are seem expensive but presumably there are the SEAT guarantees to soften the blow.

Billio

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Billio said:
Hi NeilW

Warranty work is free.

There are a number of threads that cover the service plan.... although the board search doesn't seem to be picking them up. That three year plan is cost effective if you are having an annual service. Breakdown is thrown in free when booked online, so the third year's breakdown is free. The other two years breakdown is in the first two years warranty. If keeping beyond three years you can fall into the annual service plan / mileage one. I had the three years thrown in free due to a misbuild but I was going to buy it anyway.

There is a debate about long service intervals v annual elsewhere...

·
Registered
48 Posts
The documentation with my Ateca shows long service interval (the 2 year box is ticked).

But accessing the details on the car are saying something different - I need an oil service in 12,500 miles or ~470 days. Since I've only had the car 44 days, this doesn't compute! But it does say I need an inspection in 19,000 miles or 684 days, which does compute. So how do you get to 2 years with the long life oil, when after a month your actually not much better of than the yearly one anyway?

I'll grab a photo and post it later on when I get home....

·
Registered
48 Posts
By the way, its not minus 470 days, the symbol from the keyboard has come out as a straight line....

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
MGDisco said:
The documentation with my Ateca shows long service interval (the 2 year box is ticked).

But accessing the details on the car are saying something different - I need an oil service in 12,500 miles or ~470 days. Since I've only had the car 44 days, this doesn't compute! But it does say I need an inspection in 19,000 miles or 684 days, which does compute. So how do you get to 2 years with the long life oil, when after a month your actually not much better of than the yearly one anyway?

I'll grab a photo and post it later on when I get home....
The car is clever and will re compute when service is due so even those who think they are on long service may find it changes it :). The UK ones and Europe are despatched from the factory with the long service build codes. The dealer can change that but then the cars ability to recompute what it wants by how it is driven or oil it's senses in the engine changes things.

I think you may have fallen fowl of that.

From the service manual

2.1 Determine the service type
Service identification for all vehicles using the PR number:
- The service intervals depend on the following PR numbers:
"QI6" means Longlife Service (flexible service interval).
"QI1", "QI2", "QI3", "QI4" or "QI7" indicates time or distance de‐
pendent service (fixed service interval).
- Check the vehicle PR no. on the vehicle data sticker
⇒ page 16 .
Note
♦ Vehicles with PR number "QI6" are equipped with activated
Longlife Service (flexible service intervals) ex-factory, it is
however possible, to modify the programming to time or dis‐
tance dependent service (fixed service interval).
♦ Vehicles with PR numbers "QI1", "QI2", "QI3", "QI4" or "QI7"
are equipped with time or distance dependent intervals (fixed
service intervals) ex-factory. It is not possible to modify the
programming with these vehicles.
Note the service instructions on the multifunction touchscreen:
- Switch on ignition.
- Switch on the multi-functional touchscreen -1-.
- Press the "CAR" button.
- Press "SETTINGS" on the touchscreen.
- Scroll down the menu until "Service" appears.
- Press "Service" on the touchscreen.
The Service reference appears on the multifunction touchscreen.
2.2 Longlife service
The Longlife Service enables longer service intervals according
to the respective personal driving style and the operating condi‐
tions of the vehicle.
Note
For the Longlife service a special Longlife engine oil is required
⇒ page 82 .
Vehicles with PR number "QI6" have the Longlife Service activa‐
ted ex-factory. This means that the vehicles are provided with a
flexible service interval indicator and are equipped with the fol‐
lowing components:

♦ Flexible service interval display in dash panel insert
♦ Engine oil level sender
♦ Brake pad wear indicator (if fitted)

For vehicles with Longlife Service, the service interval is calcula‐
ted by the control unit and reported to the driver on the service
interval indicator.

Calculating the maintenance intervals:

♦ To calculate the service intervals for vehicles with Longlife
service, input values such as distance driven, fuel consump‐
tion, oil temperature and load of diesel particulate filter are
evaluated.
♦ These can be derived from the degree of usage of the engine
oil depending on the thermal loading.
♦ The engine oil wear determines the travelling distance that can
be performed up until the next customer service interval elap‐
ses.

2.3 Time or mileage dependent service
Vehicles with PR numbers "QI1", "QI2", "QI3", "QI4" or "QI7" have
fixed service intervals. The specified distance or time has been
calculated and determined in advance by SEAT.
♦ PR QI1: Service interval every 5,000 km or once a year (fixed)
♦ PR QI2: Service interval every 7,500 km or once a year (fixed)
♦ PR QI3: Service interval every 10,000 km or once a year
(fixed)
♦ PR QI4: Service interval every 15,000 km or once a year
(fixed)
♦ PR QI7: Service interval every 10,000 miles or once a year
(fixed)
These service intervals are also valid from a technical point of
view, even in event of adverse driving conditions.
Vehicles with PR number "QI6" are equipped with activated Long‐
life Service (flexible service intervals) ex-factory, it is however
possible, to modify the programming to time or distance depend‐
ent service (fixed service interval), for example, when no Longlife
engine oil is used.
Ateca 2017 ➤
Maintenance - Edition 12.2016
4 2. Longlife service and time or mileage dependent service

·
Registered
48 Posts
By the time I did get home last night, I just plain forgot to take the snapshot from the car.

Gadget Gas Vehicle Multimedia Electronic device

Done it this morning, and both figures have gone up for the mileage.

The oil change service days have also gone up - so it is a dynamic measure, which is cool in its own way, but plays havoc with the expectation of when the service will take place (especially future planning of it in your diary).

Note that since the first check, around 130 miles were added to the mileage of the car through yesterday, so more long steady runs might see it go up a bit more.

Attachments

G

·
I was told by my dealer that if you cover less than 10K miles a year that the car required an annual service, but if you do over 10K then you can have the long service interval.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Probably turns into an annual 20k ;). Think that was dealer talk. Probably the reverse of what he said was what he meant but since they fib his mouth said something else, least if he was a UK dealer. If doing less than 10k per year make long service, more than 10k per year annual :). To me that sounds right. Just as well the car has a computer :).

I must check what my screen is showing. I'm driving it to Croatia soon with high speed driving through Germany so will be useful to note what it says before and when I get back although I am giving it the loving annual service which such a car requires :). I say giving, Seat is paying since they mis built my Xcellence without the wireless charger but would have had it on the annual service regime anyhow. I'll have my obdeleven dongle with me to diagnose any pesky warning messages whilst away.

The message from all of this must be if you are planning to have the car serviced on the long service interval periodically check the screen to see how your distance, driving style, conditions etc are influencing the next predicted service event which could be closer than you think.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts