Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to get my music prepared for when I take delivery of my new Ateca as it left the factory yesterday!

Please can someone let me know what type of memory card the standard sat nav unit that is fitted to the Xcellence model takes, and the maximum capacity it can handle?

Thanks

·
Registered
979 Posts
Here you go :D

Font Screenshot Number Rectangle Document

More details can be found in the infotainment manual

:D

Attachments

·
Registered
979 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Jonny said:
I am wanting to get my music prepared for when I take delivery of my new Ateca as it left the factory yesterday!

Please can someone let me know what type of memory card the standard sat nav unit that is fitted to the Xcellence model takes, and the maximum capacity it can handle?

Thanks
A word of caution: it seems that the Ateca looks at the mp3 tags for generating the index rather than the folder hierarchy you put on the SD card, and in particular it treats these mp3 tags as CASE SENSITIVE!

So despite having what I thought was a well-organised mp3 collection (took me a while to get it how I wanted it in iTunes), in the Ateca I have quite a lot of duplicate artist names, differing only by their capitalisation.

So you may want to go through your library and use something like mp3tag to ensure your Artist and Album titles are standardised.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I wonder when they will start including these updated manuals with the Atecas... or will they be doing so already?

As it is often useful to have a printed manual rather than just an electronic copy, can copies of the updated versions be ordered by dealers, at customers request, or are we stuck with whatever ones happen to come with their car?

Just wondering! ;)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Kindness71.

I think I will buy a 64gb SDXC memory card!

·
Banned
2,739 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Montala said:
I wonder when they will start including these updated manuals with the Atecas... or will they be doing so already?

As it is often useful to have a printed manual rather than just an electronic copy, can copies of the updated versions be ordered by dealers, at customers request, or are we stuck with whatever ones happen to come with their car?

Just wondering! ;)
Kindness got an updated manual but his car is only recently delivered. I think dealers could probably order printed versions, at a cost I'd assume! That said, it would serve SEAT better to ensure the manuals are as accurate as possible, whether printed or online as there are still some issues. Tell was trying to "compare & contrast" PDF versions using software; maybe he'll have a result from that task which highlights changes between 05-16 and 11-16 manuals.... :D

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Jonny said:
Thanks Kindness71.

I think I will buy a 64gb SDXC memory card!
I use 128GB Kingston (10) SDXC i. Since I got the Plus I have one in each drive. They didn't cost a lot.

I go for FLAC and write the cover art as 500 x 500 as "Cover.JPG" that works. Think my M4a covers may have vanished the other day.

I index into the music files via FOLDER unless I get lost in the menu when driving... which I say you shouldn't do.

My grand plan to shift all my music to FLAC which I've been doing since June, will end by the end of Feb.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Tell, why FLAC? I've spent a lot of time converting my oddball collection from all sorts of formats to mp3. I agree that tagging is a bit of a nightmare, google tunes makes a right mess.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Phosphoric said:
Tell, why FLAC? I've spent a lot of time converting my oddball collection from all sorts of formats to mp3. I agree that tagging is a bit of a nightmare, google tunes makes a right mess.
Why FLAC, loss less compression, like a Zip file. So get everything into FLAC so you are running with FLAC in the home and the car and not two sets of formats or more. So I have deleted all my MP3s and M4as if I can get a lossless ones.

Have an extensive collection of MDs which is why it is taking so long so they get played out via the TOS link into sound blaster card, recorded in Audacity and saved as FLAC. EAC for CDs. Xilisoft for Music DVDs. Youtube videos get the treatment as well, a far few live concerts online.

If you FLAC lossy formats via software you preserve how the codec recorded it, the files can get bigger than the original but don't suffer from transcoding. So that's true with the MDs I'm doing but preserves the original sound compression algorithms of the MD player. Basically you are unpacking all the files back into WAV via however they were compressed if not the original PCM, then doing lossless compression on it so as to preserve the codec because that's the best you can do. Hard disk drives / SSDs / SDs / USBs are so big these days you can just store it like this.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Ah!, too late for me then. I transcribed my vinyl collection, 300+ albums to WAV files. You can imagine how long that took. I have since recoded those WAV files to mp3, can't say I've noticed too much loss of quality as I no longer have my massive HiFi system.

No good for in-car music but I have dragged my old deck out and am enjoying playing my vinyls again. Just had to get a new drive belt for a couple of quid and an RCA adapter to play my deck through a modern theatre system.................Sorry, a bit off topic.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Ah well you should have kept all those big WAV files and you could have converted to Flac, that's what the fancy home music servers use but my little upnp box cost £29, the partner has a fancy unit. Leaving MDs behind one realised the MD compression you could actually notice so moved over to Flac, just the old car had an MD changer in it, so this completes the process.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the advice Tell, however I think I will just stick to my mp3 music files as they are compatible with everything I listen to my music on and I don't have the time to convert everything again! ;)

Just to confirm, a standard size SDXC memory card fits into the standard fit Sat Nav unit? It doesn't take the micro SD cards?

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
No just the normal standard size SD with that spec although I think that's probably an over kill. Works fine.

No I would not recommended you to go on a big conversion exercise, I've been on it for 7 months now, but should be finished this month. I had an MD changer in the previous car so I was using a "legacy" format so made the decision to move over totally to FLAC and remove the clutter in the lounge eventually of CDs and MDs. Bit like Phosphoric with his 300 albums they take up a lot of space and everything is digital now. I had used MP3 files but as part of the big push re-recorded all of that.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Why do you think it's over kill?

I have over 32gb of music and according to the manual that was posted further up this thread the largest size SD card is 2gb and 32gb in the SDHC format. SDXC can go up to 2 terabytes!

Am I missing something?!

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
No not the size, more that I specified the fast R/W speed, class 10 spec.

I went to 128 gb which I think may be the max spec you can buy at the minute but there is another constraint which I haven't hit yet which is this.

For memory cards, a maximum of 4000 files and a maximum of 1000 files per directory.
Page 27 of the manual. So if you estimate the size and files you have as Mp3 that will give you an idea. So if you have 4,000 files you need to split these between SD cards, don't think you would hit 1000 files per directory unless you put them all in one. Conceivable that you could have a lot of small Mp3 files. Say 400 albums with an average of 10 tracks per album....

That's for you to decide.

I file by artist then album.... ;). + the cover.jpg 500x500 as I said above if your mp3s haven't got this embedded. Google images cd name etc select a suitable file 500x500 or less. That's pretty standard. There is software which will write it into the mp3 file but that's more hassle than just saving it in the directory with the tracks then you get the album art up on the screen.

·
Registered
231 Posts
For what it's worth I'll give you my experience - but I'm no audiophile.

I'm happy with choice and defaulted to 64k WMA (or if necessary 96k mp3) files some years ago - possibly when I got into Sonos in 2003. My musical tastes are unashamedly crude but consequently I don't need the nuances of quiet passages etc. 99.99% is ripped from my CDs as I don't download (well maybe 5 or 6 albums by now) as you are "fixing" at a bitrate someone else decided on.

When I populated the HDD of my other VW car about 3 years ago there was a trade-off between number of tracks etc. which ended up in me re-ripping at a higher 196k WMA despite the car environment being far from ideal for this marginal improvement. For the benefit of all passengers I've only populated the HDD with "Best Of..." and remixes.

Like Tell says, with disc and data sizes increasing massively (my mobile data plan was 5MB per month back then) I'd now go for FLAC given its transparency and flexibility - i.e. you can convert to anything. I'm considering a Brennan B2 for this puropse as my old B7 would only convert to mp3 and doesn't act like a NAS to integrate with Sonos. My MD collection remains untouched for years with packets of blank MDs in storage and ATRAC3 files somewhere on an old PC.

I've used a batch convertor called Switch (from NCH) which processes your collection into your desired format, but regardless of your architecture now, I'd still suggest FLAC as a start point. I'd love the Brennan to rip into a couple of different formats so that you can use the most appropriate quality/size for the circumstances.

Regarding cover art and playlists: Never used/not needed as everything's played on random or search by artist for specific passengers.

This is experience from older VW HDD systems so may not apply, but hopefully some off the considerations still apply. I'll find out shortly when mine comes.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I would like to question the 4000 file limit on the Ateca media system.
I know the manual says its 4000 files total and 1000 per folder, but can someone who has the car already confirm this as it seems a step back from my Leon. The manual for the RNS315 in my Leon says its 15000 file limit and 6000 files per folder.

Technology and storage media has come on since I got my Leon in 2011 so am a little surprised at the limitation.
What happens if the SD card has more than 4000 files?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.