Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my imaginary SE Tech (added the navigation system) has a radio / entertainment thing.. does it take cds?

Another question - can you just transfer music via cloud (silly question?) or transfer directly from iphone?

Don't use itunes - hate the software. Have vintl, cds basically and some mp3s hidden on my many old pcs hard drives.

Don't really listen to music but thought would make more effort now will have imaginary car....

·
Registered
241 Posts
There is a CD player with the SD cards slots in the glove box.
The regular have system doesn't have storage, so transfer via the cloud wouldn't work, but streaming via a data connection should. ( I read transfer as copy to rather than play from.)

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
I use this to create Flac copies of CDs. It's the chosen software of audiophiles it's free. Otherwise called EAC.

http://exactaudiocopy.de/

You compress to Flac. Get yourself a 128gb SD card and put them on.

Then Audacity can be used for cheeky things, just press record, put your head headphones on, edit and save as Flac. It's free, it's another audiophile public domain project.

http://www.audacityteam.org/

That how I got my MDs in.

Store by artist and CD

Artwork

Google artist and cd, select images, pick artwork of dimensions of 512 x 512 or less, jpeg, save and place in directory of the music file album. That's your artwork that will appear on the screen in the car.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Tell.. use Audacity with the school kids.. my main issue it time. I haven't got the time to convert etc. Perhaps i will just have to use itunes more :( Itunes I find is just 'urghhh' on pc other than for purchasing (easy) and playing (that ok also) on ios device.

Regarding DRM of the purchased items would these play on Seat Ateca music maching thing once I copied onto sd card feom cloud (via pc :( ) .. I know it plays aac but no mention of the DRM issue with the Seat machine playing thing.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
EAC does everything for you if it's a CD collection, no editting or human intervention once it starts. Takes about 5 - 10 minutes per CD depends how fast your PC is and the drive speed. 24x and it will do it like that. So it doesn't do it in real time. The graphic art you save to a file called cover.jpg with the size of 512x512 or less that sort of a media server standard. Graphics art is optional but completes the job so your collection can be used on a media server in the home and car.

Audacity that is real time, handy for concerts etc you record off the radio or that music collection not on CDs. I think DRM will trip it up. Whilst it will play some AAC some it won't then I run Xilisift Audio Professional on it and create a Flac file. Not sure of what the issues are when it needs a clean.

http://www.xilisoft.com/audio-converter-pro.html

If you like your BBC material you might wish to look at "get iplayer" which delivers AAC recordings in 320k sample rate. You are entering the world of hobbyist audio programmers at this. One DinkyPumpkin looks after that from a project that many were involved in. It isn't for the faint hearted. Problem with iplayer radio the BBC only supports Apple products as a media server to your home system, this side steps it.

If you buy online make sure they are DRM free. You can buy in wide formats. I still buy CDs myself. The other methods which the youngsters use in the car via full link to subscription services means you need to be connected. Tricky I suspect in the Welsh hills.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Vinyl's quite good, but you have to drive fairly steady or it skips a bit :lol:

Have a look at Android Auto, it uses Google music out of the box and there are quite a few other music apps available like Spotify and Deezer

I would imagine though that the easiest is to whack mp3 on to usb stick or SD card.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Those of us mere lesser mortals without the precision hearing for flac coming from £20 car stereo speakers with added engine & road noise, just convert/download mp3..
I have a 32gb usb with several dozen albums, and a 64gb SD card with the entire NOW 1-96 collection on it...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hi Missy,

If you have an imaginary iPhone to go with the imaginary car, all I do is play music on my iPhone over the Bluetooth connection. No fiddling around with copying files etc. I'm sure better results can be had with using the SD card but having lost many hours of my life copying cds and dvds onto previous vehicles' Built in drives and then barely playing the music, I'm keeping it simple (and lazy?) this time :D

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks all... Now that reminds me..

to the spider attic today instead of marking (any excuse) to dig out all my external drives as I also had heaps of Now albums in mp3.. and all of Pink Ffloyd..... somewhere.

Quaility might be an issue several years later.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Phosphoric said:
Vinyl's quite good, but you have to drive fairly steady or it skips a bit :lol:
My brother had a Pontiac Bonneville in the 60s with a factory fitted 45 record player. He was a pest he would pop the centre of the 45s to put in it. It would actually play faster when you went fast but didn't skip. Obviously it had that soft wallowing American suspension and was a V8. It would rock the car when you revved it. But no the records didn't skip :). He use to slam his foot down so your head shot backwards and laughed.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The instructions with the Ateca say that the SD Card MUST be compatible with the device. SD Standard Capacity (SDSC) cards range in size from 1 MB to 2 GB . The SD High Capacity (SDHC) standard was created later, and allows cards 2 GB to 32 GB in size. An even more recent standard, SD Extended Capacity (SDXC) that allows cards 32 GB to 2 TB in size. Which one's are compatible please for the storage of MP3 and what is the maximum capacity allowed? My car is just 6 weeks away, so I need to transfer, for convenience, my music to an SD card.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
From the manual:-

Playlists are limited to 20kb or 1000 entries.
Filenames and paths must be less than256 characters
Memory cards are limited to a maximum of 4000 files and 1000 files per directory.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Or shove it on the usb stick ...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thank; you are advising a USB stick rather than an SD card?
Is there no limit with these then?
Is the USB socket in the glove box and if so, does this not affect the closure of the box?

I am not a PC geek (aged pensioner), so know little of these new fangled ideas.

That is why the forum members are informative - unbiased and honest views.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi Welshman

The USB ports are just above the phone tray (behind the gearstick as you look at it). You can buy really small usb sticks that have good capacity, and they sit almost flush with the port:

http://amzn.eu/ejRlzBW

This is just an example on Amazon.

Hope this helps.

Jim

·
Registered
116 Posts
I would recommend getting one with at least 32Gb capacity if you have a large music collection.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thank you Jim; "sound" advice, if you will excuse the pun! I have bought a really low profile SanDisk Ultra Fit 128 GB USB Flash Drive, which should accommodate my music and which hardly protrudes from the socket at all.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have a SDHC card 64GB and I have no probs at all.
Fits loads of music files (at the moment it's half empty).
Technically there is no difference for storing music on usb or sd card.
Both will work the same and I think they will share similar limits however very high limits.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts