Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

Quick introductory email for courtesy's sake.
Got to say I'm very happy with the car so far; I'm consistently getting more than 48mpg even with the car fully loaded with adult passengers going up and down hills, handles nicely too.

Only a few niggles:

1. the satnav's inability to accept postcode destinations without drilling into the menus is just utterly utterly awful. To put it in context, this system is far less user-friendly even than the satnav I had in a Honda 10 years ago. That system had its maps supplied on a disk and despite it being very primitive by comparison and taking a minute or two to boot up it still managed to be a lot quicker to program a destination in than I can on the Ateca. On one occasion, I resorted to asking a passenger to use the satnav app on their phone because the street name was very long and the Ateca didn't recognize the first half of the postcode and Brexit Day would've come and gone before to get the ruddy thing to understand the street address .

2. The stop/start technology AND the foot brake are a bit on the random side. Sometimes the autobrake comes on and the engine cuts off, sometimes the brake comes on and the engine doesn't cut off, and on 2 occasions I've I've been parked and stationery and seen the brake disengage itself!

3. The 360 degree sensors work a treat provided you wipe them down before every trip but after one trip behind a gritting truck the front ones were unusable.

Cheers

·
Registered
328 Posts
Welcome.

I really don't find the sat nav that frustrating. You press new destination, you press city, you press post code, you put the post code in without spaces and within seconds it's calculated the route. Not sure how that can be so bad! Certainly quicker than the 2 minute start up time that you quoted with your old Honda!

Also, I assume you have a 1.6 Tdi with that economy?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the 1.6. Even with 4 adults and it in Sport mode, I'm getting decent MPG. On the commute to and from work it regularly exceeds 70mpg. What I don't get is how I've racked up >1000 miles doing this commute with the trip computer topping 50 all the way there and back, and the average fuel economy still hasn't climbed above 53mpg. For the first 500 miles I drove, the car swore blind the average consumption was way below 40mpg even though the instant MPG display suggested otherwise.

I have been able to get to the postcode option but it's not just the faff that annoys me, it's the appalling frequency of it looking up the postcode and not finding anything so I then have to fanny about putting the town, street name in, whatever.

Example: I had to pick someone up from a snooker hall on Kirkstall Road in Leeds... for those who don't know, it is a rather big and unmissable road in the centre of town which has amongst other things some TV studios and a fire station on it.

I had the postcode, I knew where it was. But the point of the exercise was to see if the [email protected] was able to narrow down the destination to something more specific than "it's got to be on this road somewhere..."

The approximated satnav destination actually pointed to a spot over a mile west of the snooker hall, and resolved to some utterly unrelated business opposite a McDonalds in a retail park. And it was only able to get there because I programmed in the street name.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
The reason the navigator doesn't make postcodes easier to use is that the UK is one of the few countries that have detailed postcodes. In most countries the postcode indicates the town or village only, so entering postcodes has really no use at all apart from differentiating towns of the same name.

Clearly, the units fitted are based around this assumption.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I've really not had any trouble with post codes...

I've probably put in 10 so far and it's found every one and took me to the correct location on every occasion.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got DriveApp working and am going to give Sygic a go. Point taken on the usefulness of postcodes but when you're paying a premium to have the satnav built in, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the system to be at least as user-friendly as a dirt cheap Garmin!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi tstaddon,
do you need the premium version of Sygic for car connectivity. I'm currently waiting for my 7 day Premium trial to run out to see what I am left with. Haven't got my car yet to try it out either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts