Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
If you live in mainland Europe and took out Mapcare it's free to upgrade if not it isn't. I think this may be why some cars got there SD cars delayed.

Other than that it's a niggle since the maps are "out of date" and you have to cough up or attempt to do it yourself and find you can't since they have planned for that one.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm.
No one told me about something called Mapcare at the dealership. So i thought it was for free.
At least it was like this for my Octavia with MIB. 3 year free upgrades.
In the beginning the Skoda site was like the Ateca site, just to download. Then after one or two years, you had to fill in your VIN to download.

Well, i will try to upgrade mine and see what happens!

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Chrand from your answer, I suspect you are in Europe. I did read on the German Ateca board that in some weeks of production all cars were built with Mapcare on, you might be lucky. In the UK Mapcare isn't sold so upgrades aren't free.

·
Registered
280 Posts
It is my understanding that, here in the U.K. at least, the necessary SD cards have to be ordered separately by the dealer, and are not supplied automatically by SEAT.

Presumably any customer picking up a new Ateca in 2017 though is entitled to ask for, and to receive, the latest update, regardless of whether Mapcare is available or not?

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
I know people have said that the SD card is ordered by the dealer I would have thought it just came with the car then some didn't or got lost. Since mine is the Navigation Plus it was on the drive.

I would think cars delivered after the November 2016 date would come with the maps updated whether SD or on the drive, or you would have a right to ask. Flipping map SD cards in the unit from other cars will link that card to the car and that's when people get issues since the dealer has to unlearn the unit that, that card is linked to the unit. Those people who didn't have issues who had to wait for their first card is when nothing untoward has been done to the unit, if it has then the dealer has to sort it out. This is why the Mapcare updates don't work if you don't have Mapcare since the unit gets to know this from the card first inserted. Leon owners have tried to delete the contents of the card, write their own but then the hidden bit on the card isn't changed. Then there is the complete new cards but then that fails since the unit has learnt the previous card... a few Leon owners managed to do it but the majority failed after coughing up £35 to ebay.

There is a long tail of woe thread all 26 pages on the other UK Seat Forum which has been running for sometime on people trying to do their own updates without Mapcare under "Navigation System Updates". That tail of woe will be the same for Ateca users that embark on this for sure.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Thanks Tell... I think it was actually my dealer who told me that in the first place, but perhaps that was just to let me know that they consider themselves to be 'on the ball' where that sort of thing is concerned.

Mind you, they also told me that I get 3 years of free updates, although I still have to confirm that... and if it is correct, I will ask them to confirm it in writing! ;)

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I have just noticed that the SD card is now €50 in Spain. Originally it was free. I can only assume that the Mapcare updates are now included in that price.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
They could have unbundled the cost and it's not Mapcare. I seem to recall Mapcare in Germany was several hundred Euros, it wasn't cheap.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Took deliver of our Ateca in December. Driving to Devon a few days later we noticed a bypass which had been opened (according to the Highways Agency) for 12 months did not register on our sat nav, which tried to send us off in all directions. Dealer tells us we have the most up-to-date system. Not impressed. Can we expect SEAT to update free?

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Doubt it. Will be their product cycle. I seem to recall it's about three years from a road change to get it in. The question would be is it in Google Maps. There advantage with all of the people going around sending in their coordinates via Google Maps is that they know when drivers are heading off piste so you would think they have a algorithm to check for this, then they would sort it out.

On mine the un joined up road between Essex and London is sorted out which is hasn't been on all other map products based on their data I've used in their past, however it tries to send me up a bolted gated forest road every time I leave home that was closed 20 years ago, ditto when I'm returning that way. Can't win them all.

To be fair to Google their digitised roads run a bit further into retail parks from what I can see.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Downloaded the update, put it on the SD-card, back in the slot - new maps free and my previous adresses still there. As hazzle free as you want everything to be.

·
Registered
280 Posts
hassebasse said:
Downloaded the update, put it on the SD-card, back in the slot - new maps free and my previous adresses still there. As hazzle free as you want everything to be.
Are you actually in the U.K. as I didn't think that it was quite as easy to do as that... especially without 'Mapcare'?

·
Registered
37 Posts

·
Banned
2,739 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
hassebasse said:
For Montala, no I´m in Sweden. I didn´t realise that it might be different across Europe.
Unfortunately so... for the U.K. anyway!

So far as I am aware, Mapcare is not available 'over here', for some unknown reason.

Some users have tried to update their SD cards without it, and have come unstuck! :(

·
Registered
37 Posts
Did you buy your car with Mapcare ?.
According to the specs it was included (3 years). There was no information about this when i received the car. I started looking around and found the upgrade link myself. The upgrade just worked never registered or activated anything.

If the version information matches your system just give it a try?

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
I did read a VW thread where somebody did it in Scotland and it didn't delete his favourites or anything and worked - Discovery Pro with the drive. Think I'd be happy if it percolated for two hours and said I didn't have the rights but left everything intact then I would no I couldn't, if it percolated and deleted everything and blew a raspberry I wouldn't be happy. Given that my car has been built as a European one less the wireless charger, you never know. The amount of money it costs for the Plus unit they should through it in. Standard SD card people wouldn't have any joy I think.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.