Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This seems bizarre to me but the Sat Nav system only recognises Postcodes up to 5 places, so for CF15 7TF it only recognises CF15 7 then nothing after this. Having contacted the dealer they've said that's how the system works. This can't be right can it?!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I've not got mine yet but I don't remember it being like that in a golf I had with Nav plus and definitely isn't in my yeti with standard navigation

it's not then prompting you to chose a street name or anything is it?

I hope that isn't the case or it's next to useless ......... :shock:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just had another go fiddling with all the menus and I've worked it out! Quite confusing as on clicking the nav system it prompts you to search for an address. If you enter the postcode here, it will only search up to 5 numerical/alphabetic places which seems bizarre. You have to click a separate search button, then click address and the search by postcode. :roll:

·
Registered
581 Posts
Are you local then spaceonwhite??
I am from Cardiff!!
Yours wasn't parked in mount Stuart sq down the bay this morning was it??
There was a white 1.4 XL I was admiring there earlier!!

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
I did have a little damming session about it in one of my mapping posts. Due to my past background when I was working in research in the public sector I know all about postcodes and mapping :). It's that NAVTEQ / HERE maps are cheap skates. You have to buy the postcode directory to the full 8 character (8 for Scotland), they haven't, however they have bought or acquired the street numbering directory.

After the Post Office produced postcodes, when geomapping was taking off in the 90s, other companies geo mapped house numbers and offered these files to developers as added value. Basically you would go in with the full postcode and then the street number to get the geocode. What HERE maps have done in the VW application not used the postcode directory for the detailed geocode. If you want accurate detail leave the postcode out and do city, street, number. If you want a proxy use the postcode to 5 characters.

Now saying this I've found the car's system is not good on industrial estates where evidently there bought in / acquired directory needs updating. If you can find the address with a street number use that, other than that using coordinates or picking off a POI if present is the next step. I think I will be importing futures addresses as POIs and then storing each as a destination which is what I'm doing with my 126 destinations I'm migrating in from Copilot. Think I will be keeping to this method as part of updating the speed cameras. Done half of my destinations now :).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha Ghiggz yeah that was me! Have an office in Mount Stuart Square. Haven't seen another one on the road yet which is nice : ) Looking at your delivery date, it won't be long before I see yours :D

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
glad it was just user error :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow Tell, you know a lot about the nav's and postcodes. Really interesting. I have to travel to a lot of industrial estates so I'll use your advice :D :D

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
I did support geographical mapping in the public sector when things were planned and it had to be spacially in the right place, now it's a free for all. One of my strings to my bow.

Mind you not so sure you got all 7 / 8 characters in.

Without going back out to the car you still can't enter the street address as house number via the full postcode.

VW Discover video:

·
Registered
581 Posts
Spaceonwhite said:
Haha Ghiggz yeah that was me! Have an office in Mount Stuart Square. Haven't seen another one on the road yet which is nice : ) Looking at your delivery date, it won't be long before I see yours :D
I always get all excited when I see one hehe...
Spose that will wear off next week once I have mine..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ghiggz said:
Spaceonwhite said:
I always get all excited when I see one hehe...
Spose that will wear off next week once I have mine..
Think they will still be few and far between for a little while. Enjoy her when she arrives, it really is an awesome car :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Oh yes it does (and with the camera I know he's not behind me!)
Sorry to post twice but trawling various places and having had better half try my original post:
Press the [Nav] button
Select [New dest] on screen top right,
….. you will need to select [Options] top left and [Search] if there is an address prefilled
Enter [QQ] this forces No results
Select [Enter address] on middle of the screen
Select [City] on middle of the screen
Select [Postcode] on bottom left of screen
Enter your full postcode [RG279NN]
Success

Spanish manana and German engineering; need a degree and all day to do a simple task!

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Still if you enter the street number in it knows whether it's on the left or right... those postmen have big postman's walks even bigger these days with their trolleys (let Saggy play with that). Postcodes are good for posting letters but it does have geocoded addresses in it which are more accurate than postcodes with auto fill boxes. So you don't need to use postcodes... be a rebel.

Anyhow we were going to a service station in Belgium off the main road, granted there were road works which it got off trafic data, it took us off a side road, round an industrial estate and stopped at the back of the service station across a field. Think we were supposed to put are hiking boots on and make our way on foot. I think it decided the slip road was closed from the trafic data and did the next best things. So retraced the drive and a bit more and the slip road wasn't really closed just a bit off piste.

All my imported coordinates were fine on the road trip to Germany bar that one and an industrial canal tour in Dunkirk where I obeyed satnav but should have ignored it. Still I know the route to buy AdBlue in Auchan, from the port now through the back roads. The red, blue and orange routes are quite different. Locally one picks the shortest but driving large distances you want the fastest, when things go weird picking the back roads. The satnav can be turned off so it doesn't offer this choice, it's this choice if you get it wrongs leads to problems.

Edit:

Right then Bob the problem with the street Ravenscroft in Hook that has that postcode is that they don't have the house number street level mapping, so you only get the junctions offered up. I can see that since it's a new street the database they are using for street level mapping isn't up to date, so the cracks in the system can be seen. This is based on the Navigation Plus system but I'm sure you would get the same results with the standard system, 2016 maps. QQ doesn't work on my system so I don't what that is about.

Afraid my choice way of getting exactly to geo locations is to use the x,y coordinates because the system uses DMS you have to convert these and dial them in or use an app where you can find these and enter them in or bulk import for POIs. I will be using the latter method for future holiday destinations which is how I ended up importing 126 destinations from Co-Piolot. Make the POIs via import, select POI then make it a destination. Then you have destinations marked up on the map as POIs plus as proper destinations in the car's system.

Most car systems use DMS so this issue exists unless they have got into bed with say Tom Tom. Older residential streets which have been geocoded at a street address number level you can do it that way and bypass the postcode entry method. Industrial estates I found problematic when I started entering in the postcodes since one postcode can cover a large area and street numbering doesn't exist in these places.

I can see why people may opt to use Android Auto but then you don't get the lane guidance details and you do need to be connected and it does bypass the plus side of having the navigation system integrated with the turning wheels so if satnav connection is lost the cars system is better at knowing where you are than a stand-alone system.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks Tell, but I was just highlighting full post code entry is possible - not restricted to 5 as first appears - and most addresses have Postcodes which at the 7 level are usually close enough and then able to refine with house number etc.. and suffices for most of us mere mortals

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
This is when I got thrown by the system not always having the street number in and giving me junctions of the street. I like it when it tells you which side of the road the addresses on since your Google app isn't that clever.

The Here App as I posted up on another thread is a good proxy for commercial addresses so you get an idea of whether the car will find it by just typing in the store and town or whether you need to do something more clever. Since they are both using the same Here Map's data (should be more or less in synch).

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had the same issue. I visited a seat dealer who explained that the postcode is entered on a different screen through "views, search, city, and then click on postcode bottom left corner". However it appears the postcode must have a space between the two halves which entails going back to the previous screen to enter a space and the back to the postcode screen. How archaic - my old tom tom copes with street names, postcode etc all from one screen.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Does seat nav work from voice?
Android auto/Google maps integrates with the voice control brilliantly. Just press and say
"navigate to " and then either a full postcode or even a place name, retail park, poi, etc and it takes it..

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Yes, does on mine.

Page 47 of the media manual

(Search, Address or On map).
● Using voice control

if you say Town, street
and number, without pauses, and then the
instruction "Start Route Guidance" a route to
the given destination will start.
/quote]

That order is how it stores the information in its native form without postcode.

Will try out on POIs this afternoon.... did, no only address and she's a bit hard of hearing.

The best side Android app to use with the car's built in system for finding POIs and difficult addresses that are not in HERE Maps, acceses Google data, uses Google Maps and Openstreet (crowd sourcing, hiking trails etc), gives you the DMS coordinate input and will do decimal coordinate conversion, probably makes coffee as well.

Mapcoordinates:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=sands.mapCoordinates.android&hl=en_GB&referrer=utm_source%3Dgoogle%26utm_medium%3Dorganic%26utm_term%3Dgoogle+map+coordinates+app&pcampaignid=APPU_1_e7dWWPzkFeWOgAb-urOgBg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts